• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did your ancestors come from?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I'm predominantly Scots-Irish, with some Native American (my aunt is still trying to determine which tribe), and, I've been told, a small bit of German.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Wow, this is an old thread, but still thriving. :) I know quite a bit of my family history on my dad's side of the family. My oldest known ancestor was a widow in the 1100's. I had an ancestor that was put in prison in the 1300's for criticizing a Duke and two others who were mayors of a suburb of Munich in the 1500's-1600's...both before and after the 30 years war. After seeing enough of warfare, my ancestors decided to settle down to a quiet life of farming. They moved to the Ukraine to take advantage of land incentives offered by Catherine the Great after some conquests by Russia during its war with the Ottoman empire. We moved the middle of the Dakota territory in the United States in the late 1800's for the same reason...cheap land to farm, and thus here I am in South Dakota at the beginning of the 21st century. Glad I could bore you all with my family history. :) My moms side of the family is a bit more mysterious...I know there were two German brothers who moved to the United States in the late 1800's that had a disagreement and parted ways and that my ancestor was one of those brothers. I also know that I have an Irish ancestor somewhere down the line. So I'm Russian-German, and Irish. Classic American mutt right? :D

Rakhel

I know my father's family is from England and have once traced that ling back through Washington to King Henry the II back to 70 CE in Scandinavia.
My mother's side is a bit more tricky. I can only go back about 4 generations. Her mother's side is told to be a German/ Native American mix while her father's side is told to be either Irish or Scottish or both. But since I can't get past her Great-grandparents, it's hard to tell.

NoraSariah

I started my family tree and found a lot of ancestors that came from Sweden. That's all I've found so far, but I'm definitely Swedish.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I don't know much about my ancestry further than my grand-parents. French Canadian on my father's side... I presume French descent because of the last name.

My mother's side is a little more complex. My grand-parents are Hungarian but my grand-mother says that her dad spoke a language she didn't understand so he's from a surrounding country probably. Her maiden name isn't Hungarian.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm British so we're generally more "homogeneous" should I say than Americans, although in my case for some reason I'm a little bit mongrel....

I'm principally Scottish, I certainly have Irish and German ancestors, possibly some Russian and Jewish as well. That's all I know, I haven't researched back but would love too :D

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'd have to say that most of them came from Great Britain. As a matter of fact, I just learned that I am a 30th great grand-daughter of William the Conquerer.

bookwormlady

Owned by 2 cats
On my dad's side, English and Irish as far as I know - my last name is a fairly 'English' one. I don't know much about that side of my family, though. On my mom's side, one of my grandparents is Czech, and the other's Slovak. My grandpa was born in Slovakia, and my grandma was born here in Canada. Interestingly, my grandpa's last name doesn't sound Slovak. It was anglicized. We're guessing when his parents moved them to North America in the late 1930s, the officials at Ellis Island probably anglicized the name then - It's certainly missing a Z, and/or a typical ending.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
On my father's side- New Mexico, four corners area (he's Navajo). My mom is half Italian- her father was born in Italy but lived in USA from age 3 until death. Her mother was German Jew, Russian Jew, and a little Basque thrown in.

Titanic

Irish and Scottish from my mothers side. France, Jewish, Native American from my fathers side. Traced it as far back as I could. That is what came up. So I have Irish, Scottish, French, Jewish, Native American, In me. Interesting combinations.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Earth, at least I'm pretty sure. There are days I sometimes wonder when looking at some family members, but I'm still going with Earth.

Draka

Wonder Woman
मैत्रावरुणिः;3437193 said:
Namaste,

How does one get so many frubals? Someone please answer this for me.

M.V.

She is a long gone member whose old frubal number was never changed over to the newer system. There are still some out there you may still see in old threads like this that were never changed over. Just old remnants of the old system is all.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
She is a long gone member whose old frubal number was never changed over to the newer system. There are still some out there you may still see in old threads like this that were never changed over. Just old remnants of the old system is all.

Namaste,

But, over 800,000? What type of frubal system were you guys running?!?! :eek:

Can you bring it back?

M.V.

EDIT: My ancestors came from Gujarat, we are from the tribe that is known as Karadva. (I had to return back on topic, my b for the off topic frubal thingy)

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3437193 said:
Namaste,

How does one get so many frubals? Someone please answer this for me.

M.V.

You get them over time. It has taken me 7 years to get mine. But this is off-topic, so no more.

Draka

Wonder Woman
मैत्रावरुणिः;3437201 said:
Namaste,

But, over 800,000? What type of frubal ystem were you guys running?!?! :eek:

Can you bring it back?

M.V.

It was reputation built. The more frubals you had the more frubals you gave. So if someone who had a lot of frubals gave your post one click you'd get many at once. The inflation got out of hand and many members soon had millions of frubals. The numbers meant nothing as it was just a game basically to many. So it was reset to one frubal per each frubal/click. Older members had to have their frubal numbers reset to reflect how many times they had actually been fruballed so their numbers would be on even keel with newer members. Some old, no longer active, members in the system didn't get changed over. So if you see an old thread with some old member with some outrageous frubal count...that's why.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,

Thank you, Draka! Oh, and I am from the Karadva tribe from Northern Gujarat. Sorry to derail the topic.

M.V.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mine mostly came from Great Britian. My sister, who is more the genealogy buff in the family than me, recently informed me that my 30th great grandfather was William the Conquerer.

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
A genealogical test traced my mitochondrial line back to Korea, northern China, Russia, and northern Scandinavia.