• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did your ancestors come from?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hard to tell in my case.

Brazilian stock is very mixed in nearly all stances anyway.

Far as I can tell, I am perhaps 1/8 African, Native Brazilian or some mix of both; about 3/4 of Portuguese descent; and who knows, perhaps a bit of Italian or even Dutch thrown in for measure (my biological parent's family comes from the Northeast, where odd historical circunstances make Dutch ancestry relatively common).

You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to determine ethnic ancestry among Brazilians. We often end up joking about it out of the sheer challenge.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
My ancestors came from Scotland (Gordon Highlanders).

There's also some other stuff in there (French and Swedish), but the lineage cannot be traced.

I suddenly feel the need to behead people to cement my immortality...because, you know....in the end, there can be only one...

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
My ancestors came from Scotland (Gordon Highlanders).

There's also some other stuff in there (French and Swedish), but the lineage cannot be traced.

I suddenly feel the need to behead people to cement my immortality...because, you know....in the end, there can be only one...

Nice!
Yes, I sometimes do feel as if I am Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. I was born in 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel. And I am immortal...

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
Hard to tell in my case.

Brazilian stock is very mixed in nearly all stances anyway.

Far as I can tell, I am perhaps 1/8 African, Native Brazilian or some mix of both; about 3/4 of Portuguese descent; and who knows, perhaps a bit of Italian or even Dutch thrown in for measure (my biological parent's family comes from the Northeast, where odd historical circunstances make Dutch ancestry relatively common).

You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to determine ethnic ancestry among Brazilians. We often end up joking about it out of the sheer challenge.
I do believe it. But, that is what makes it cool. Do you know from which tribe of natives you descend?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually I'm no longer sure. Given a few factors, as I mentioned in this post My family and I may not be Mediterranean (Italian & Sicilian) after all, it may very well be that we are of northern European descent. Going back to my great grandparents, and probably somewhat further back, we (my family) assume we are of Italian and Sicilian descent. That's where those previous generations lived and emigrated to the US from, but I was never really convinced we are primarily Mediterranean. Not with a preponderance of fair complexions, blond, reddish and light brown hair, and some family members with blue eyes.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Well, I'm adopted, so I don't really know.

However, if I was blood related to my parents, I would be Irish, English, and French from my Mom's side and part Cherokee from my Dad's side.

NoraSariah

Most of my ancestors came from Sweden in the early 1800s on my mom's side, also Germany, Ireland, and Denmark. My dad's parents, no idea, but there is some Cherokee Indian in there somewhere.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well, since I just learned that I am the 30th grea-granddaughter of William the Conquerer on my mom's side, I'm at least half blue-blood English. :D Actually, I'm mostly English on both sides, but with some German/Prussian, French and Danish thrown in for good measure.

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
Well, since I just learned that I am the 30th grea-granddaughter of William the Conquerer on my mom's side, I'm at least half blue-blood English. :D Actually, I'm mostly English on both sides, but with some German/Prussian, French and Danish thrown in for good measure.
Cousin!
You do realize that William was a descendant of Rollo, the Viking conqueror of Normandy, which makes your ultimate lineage either Danish or Møre og Romsdal in Norway? And, of course, your matriarchal lineage from William would be French.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Half french, half blue blood spanish

Well at least it is a simple mix :D

We are lucky to have a ton of reliable documents about my father's family history. We can trace it to the late middle age, with accuracy. We even still have old documents written by monks but... Well I don't understand old french <__<
Since Napoleon to my grand grandfather (who passed away few years ago) the mens of the family almost always had high ranked job and responsabilities so we can easily find traces and photographs/paintings about them. There is even a street in a city in west of france that have the family name xDD
Other than that, there have always been painters also. Lots of them.
Now it's just forgotten stuff, I mean, nobody in the family now is in politics or anything anymore. And it's good like this actually, I like the fact that my family have big roots, but are very very humble people.

My father family was so crazy when I was born. Was the first girl to be born in the family since decades.

Funny fact also: in this family, we are almost all of the lion sign xD

On my mother's side, it's more humble. Simple people from remote villages. Unfortunately a great part of them died during Franco time so... A big bunch of my mother's family history with them :(

Last edited:

MD

qualiaphile
I did a DNA test, these were results

Middle Eastern and North African (it's classified under one): 70%
South Asian: 10%
East African: 15%
Central Asian: 5%

The east african part threw me for a loop, until I realized that my ancestors were probably slaves in Iran and there might have been some admixture with African slaves.

I mostly classify myself as Indian and Iranian.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I did a DNA test, these were results

Middle Eastern and North African (it's classified under one): 70%
South Asian: 10%
East African: 15%
Central Asian: 5%

The east african part threw me for a loop, until I realized that my ancestors were probably slaves in Iran and there might have been some admixture with African slaves.

I mostly classify myself as Indian and Iranian.

So the test was reliable.

Viker

Häxan
My grandfather on my father's side was Scottish with some Irish and my grandmother is German.

My grandfather on my mother's side was German and my grandmother was Romanian and Hungarian Jew with some Croatian in the mix:thud:. Both grandparents being children of then recent immigrants.

The interesting story is of how my maternal grandparents met and fell insanely in love. He was a young dashing prewar (WW2) internist and she was a flirtatious nurse. They later worked together assisting vets with serious internal injuries. They eloped in 42', nine months later came along my lovely mother.

My grandpa on my mom's side saved hundreds of vets lives, while my grandpa on my dad's side was busy piling up hundreds of German bodies in Europe. They both used to get amusement out of this for some odd reason. Also, my mom's dad never went under suspicion, being a former WW1 German army immigrants son, because their name seemed French or even Greek at times ( name looks a lot like Paris ).
Finally straightened out her background.