• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did your ancestors come from?

jonny

Do you know where your ancestors are from? Most Americans are a pretty good mix of a little bit of everything, but do you know what that it? Does your family still have traditions from these countries?

My family is a British, Welch, Scottish, Swedish, Danish, and Swiss. When I was little my mom used to make me eat Swiss cheese because I was swiss (I felt obligated even though it tasted nasty). I don't really think that we have many other traditions other than the normal American ones that have been carried over from Europe. We do eat some Danish foods though ([size=-1]Aebleskiver![/size] yummm :) ).

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
The overwhelming majority of my ancestors came from England. The rest from Germany and Scotland. Haven't found any ancestors that came from anywhere else. I think there was a French woman and a Native American woman that made their way into the family within the last three hundred years though... other than that, I'm not sure.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Irish (mostly) Scottish, Welsh and Lithuanian. Probably some english in there what with all your looting and pillaging, ya scalliwags!

I'm 7th Generation NZer now so that's what I consider myself, but heritagewise I always look to the Celts and Brythons, cos if it ain't Maori it's not Politically correct round here.

Aqualung

Tasty
This is pretty much what I know. I'm 3/8 English, 2/8 German, 1/8 Sweedish, 1/8 Norweigian, and 1/8 Lithuanian. That's rounded numbers, though. I'm know I'm like 1/32 of a bunch of different stuff, but that doesn't really count. I also know I'm 1/16 dutch, but 1/16 also doesn't really count, so I just round the numbers. I'm a genuine mutt, though, that's for sure. I'm obviously English at heart, though, because I have an uncanny affinity for bland, flavourless, colourless foods. :D

Bishka

Veteran Member
Darkdale said:
That is amazing. How far back do you know your ancestry?
Not quite, sure, but my mum is in school to become a professional paid genalogist, show she does most of the work, on my mum's side, both sets of her grandparents emigrated here from Germany, on my dad's side, it was a couple generations back, but we were german too.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
beckysoup61 said:
Not quite, sure, but my mum is in school to become a professional paid genalogist, show she does most of the work, on my mum's side, both sets of her grandparents emigrated here from Germany, on my dad's side, it was a couple generations back, but we were german too.

That's awesome. My family has gotten as far back as the early 17th century England. Our family was always very poor so there is very little records going back any further. But being that our family was rather poor, they were most likely there for a long time. They wouldn't have been able to travel. I assume that they most likely were all from germanic tribes of one sort or another.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Darkdale said:
That's awesome. My family has gotten as far back as the early 17th century England. Our family was always very poor so there is very little records going back any further. But being that our family was rather poor, they were most likely there for a long time. They wouldn't have been able to travel. I assume that they most likely were all from germanic tribes of one sort or another.
yep, we were protestant germans, or something like that. Quite interesting, my hubby's family is a mix though, italian, german, scottish, irish, english.

anders

My mother has made a solid effort in tracing our roots. The most ancient relative so far is a man born in ca. 1525. That guy was an advisor of king Erik XIV, proverbial for having had bad councellors. On my father's side, traces are lost earlier, because records are lost. Anyway, they all seem to be Swedes. A family rumour of some Russian on my father's side can't be proved. How dull!

The Black Whirlwind

i'm at least half german, and then there's some russian and polish. i read somewhere i'm part cherokee on my pop's side, but i'm not sure. But, above all, i consider myself and American.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Not sure of the fractions, but Russian, German, French, Belgian and English.

My wife is Spanish, Maltese, and English, so I am not quite sure what that makes our boys.............:D

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My Father was Irish with some scottish and english in the mix pre 1700
My mother was English with some german pre 1800 her mother was Jewish Central european/ english.

No one is pureblood anything.

I Think we Have some adam and eve obout us if we go back far enough.

Terry_________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

Ardent Listener

According to the Today Show, we all have roots in North West Africa. It must be the part of my family that I never met.;) My grandmother, on my father's, side came from Sweden, but moved to Finland. My grandfather on my father's side was from Finland. Both of my grandparents on my Mother's side are from Translavania when it was a part of Hungary. That makes me part "trannie" I guess.:biglaugh: