• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colt

There is no question in my mind that Jesus had a divine nature, but He also had a human nature. Baha'u'llah explained that. He called it a spiritual nature, but that is a divine nature.

“Unto this subtle, this mysterious and ethereal Being He hath assigned a twofold nature; the physical, pertaining to the world of matter, and the spiritual, which is born of the substance of God Himself. He hath, moreover, conferred upon Him a double station. The first station, which is related to His innermost reality, representeth Him as One Whose voice is the voice of God Himself. To this testifieth the tradition: “Manifold and mysterious is My relationship with God. I am He, Himself, and He is I, Myself, except that I am that I am, and He is that He is.” …. The second station is the human station, exemplified by the following verses: “I am but a man like you.” “Say, praise be to my Lord! Am I more than a man, an apostle?”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 66-67
In my religion the reason that the Son came down and lived the mortal life was that it's a requirement by the Father that Creator Son(s) incarnate 7 different times as one of various orders of beings within their own creation. The final requirement to achieve unquestioned sovereignty is to live as humans live while subject to the will of the Father just as we humans are expected to do. So, we believe Jesus was both human and divine in one miraculous personality. At time Jesus spoke as a human subject to the will of God but at other occasions he spoke by divine right.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So, we believe Jesus was both human and divine in one miraculous personality. At time Jesus spoke as a human subject to the will of God but at other occasions he spoke by divine right.
Baha'is also believe that. Jesus spoke as a Servant of God and claimed to be one, but Jesus also spoke as the Voice of God.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What about people who lived before Jesus' time or who lived in a different part of the world?

So, you think "Oh" answers my question? Seems that you don't like the question of can't figure out how to answer it or both.

When you say you believe in him, do you mean you believe that he existed? According to John 3:16, believing in him involves accepting what Jesus taught - putting faith in his word, does it not?

Jesus taught there are Two Commandments that cover the entire Law and prophets, and that's good enough for me.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Do you mean you aren't stable, and we can't take you at your word?
No, I do not mean that. Everyone has feelings and sometimes their feelings mislead them. That does not mean they are not stable.

Cognitively, I believe everything that Baha'u'llah wrote, but sometimes it is difficult for me to believe all of it because my feelings sometimes get in the way of my rational thought.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
No, I do not mean that. Everyone has feelings and sometimes their feelings mislead them. That does not mean they are not stable.

Of course, you didn't, but I suspect that was already known despite the questions that were asked.

Cognitively, I believe everything that Baha'u'llah wrote, but sometimes it is difficult for me to believe all of it because my feelings sometimes get in the way of my rational thought.

I think that you are well-versed in your beliefs, my friend, and I admire that about you.

nPeace

Veteran Member

I think you are being honest here, thanks, but what word would you use to describe this, because the word that seems more fitting is unstable, which is defined as...
likely to give way... prone to sudden changes of mood; likely to change or fail; not firmly established... due to emotions/feelings.
unstable
adjective

Synonyms of unstable
: not stable : not firm or fixed : not constant: such as

a
: not steady in action or movement : IRREGULAR
an unstable pulse

b
: wavering in purpose or intent : VACILLATING

c
: lacking steadiness : apt to move, sway, or fall
an unstable tower

d
(1)
: liable to change or alteration
an unstable economy
unstable weather
(2)
: readily changing (as by decomposing) in chemical or physical composition or in biological activity

e
: characterized by lack of emotional control

Would you say you have doubts sometimes due to your feelings getting in the way?
The Bible refers to that as being
(James 1:8) . . .an indecisive man, unsteady in all his ways.

If you had to find a word to describe what you said here, what word would you use?
How would you describe a person that says one thing today, and something contrary tomorrow?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
What about the scriptures in other religions? What about people who lived before Jesus' time or who lived in a different part of the world?
I'd like to mention for consideration that what are called the Abrahamic religions came from Abraham. That's all I'm going to say now about that because I know this will lead to various ideas. Except that the general resurrection of the dead has obviously not occurred yet. Many who were not followers of Jesus will be resurrected.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think you are being honest here, thanks, but what word would you use to describe this, because the word that seems more fitting is unstable, which is defined as...
likely to give way... prone to sudden changes of mood; likely to change or fail; not firmly established... due to emotions/feelings.
unstable
adjective

Synonyms of unstable
: not stable : not firm or fixed : not constant: such as

a
: not steady in action or movement : IRREGULAR
an unstable pulse

b
: wavering in purpose or intent : VACILLATING

c
: lacking steadiness : apt to move, sway, or fall
an unstable tower

d
(1)
: liable to change or alteration
an unstable economy
unstable weather
(2)
: readily changing (as by decomposing) in chemical or physical composition or in biological activity

e
: characterized by lack of emotional control
No, I am not unstable in those ways, not any more than anyone else. All people have changes in mood.
When it comes to God or my religion I have never wavered in my purpose or intent.
Would you say you have doubts sometimes due to your feelings getting in the way?
The Bible refers to that as being
(James 1:8) . . .an indecisive man, unsteady in all his ways.
No, I have never doubted the Baha'i Faith, not once in 53 years. I only got worried one time, when I misunderstood a Tablet that Baha'u'llah wrote.
If you had to find a word to describe what you said here, what word would you use?
One word cannot describe a person.
How would you describe a person that says one thing today, and something contrary tomorrow?
I would call that a person who changed their mind owing to new information they learned.
I have changed my mind about many things over the course of my life. The only thing I have not changed my mid about is the existence of God and the truth of the Baha'i Faith, but I have come to view God and my religion differently over the course of time.

What is the point of conversing with other people if you never learn anything from them?

Muffled

Jesus in me
That scripture says "the dead are raised up" Not dead bodies are raised up.
I am already familiar with the scriptures that, speak of the resurrection of the dead.
For example,
(1 Corinthians 15:35-38) 35 Nevertheless, someone will say: “How are the dead to be raised up? Yes, with what sort of body are they coming?36 You unreasonable person! What you sow is not made alive unless first it dies. 37 And as for what you sow, you sow, not the body that will develop, but just a bare grain, whether of wheat or of some other kind of seed; 38 but God gives it a body just as it has pleased him, and gives to each of the seeds its own body.

What I wanted to know, is why do people believe that dead bodies are raised up.
Since it's not in scripture, why do you believe it?
I believe Lazarus was raised from a dead body to a living one.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I believe Lazarus was raised from a dead body to a living one.

According to John 11:38–39, Jesus went to Lazarus' tomb and told those near him to take the stone away, and Lazarus' sister, Martha, objected and said to Jesus, "By this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.” The story proceeds with the stone being taken away, and after praying to God, Jesus called out in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!" Verse 44 states that the dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go" (John 11:38–44). The story suggests that Jesus raised Lazarus' dead body, and he was alive again, as implied in verse 44, which plainly states that the dead man came out, wrapped head to toe with strips of linen and a cloth around his face. Finally, John 11:11–15 states, "After saying these things, he said to them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I will go to awaken him." The disciples said to him, "Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover." Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that he meant to take rest in sleep. Then Jesus told them plainly, "Lazarus has died, and for your sake I am glad that I was not there, so that you may believe." But let us go to him."