• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nPeace

Veteran Member
Are the dead alive somewhere?
Can the dead interact with the living... or dead?
Is there any hope for the dead... can the dead live again?

Some scriptures I found answers these questions...
Genesis 3:19) In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”

(Psalm 104:29) When you hide your face, they are disturbed. If you take away their spirit, they die and return to the dust.
(Psalm 146:3, 4) 3 Do not put your trust in princes Nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation. 4 His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.
(Ecclesiastes 3:20) All are going to the same place. They all come from the dust, and they all are returning to the dust.

(Ecclesiastes 9:4-10) 4 There is hope for whoever is among the living, because a live dog is better off than a dead lion. 5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun. ... 10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.

(Ecclesiastes 12:7) Then the dust returns to the earth, just as it was, and the spirit returns to the true God who gave it.

(Isaiah 26:19) “Your dead will live. My corpses will rise up. Awake and shout joyfully, You residents in the dust! For your dew is as the dew of the morning, And the earth will let those powerless in death come to life.

(Hosea 13:14) From the power of the Grave I will redeem them; From death I will recover them. Where are your stings, O Death? Where is your destructiveness, O Grave? Compassion will be concealed from my eyes.

(Mark 12:26) But concerning the dead being raised up, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the account about the thornbush, that God said to him: ‘I am the God of Abraham and God of Isaac and God of Jacob’?

(John 5:28, 29) 28 Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.

(John 11:24, 25) 24 Martha said to him: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life;

(Acts 24:15) And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.

(1 Corinthians 15:21) For since death came through a man, resurrection of the dead also comes through a man.

Basically, those scriptures tell us
  • the dead are not alive anywhere... except in God's memory. Luke 20:38
  • the dead cannot communicate with either the living, or the dead. They cannot do anything. They are inactive - in the powerful grip of death.
  • the dead can... will live again, by means of a resurrection, which God promises, and is both willing and able to carry out.

On examining these scriptures, do you agree this is what we find?

Treasure Hunter

Genesis 3:19) In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”

(Psalm 104:29) When you hide your face, they are disturbed. If you take away their spirit, they die and return to the dust.
(Psalm 146:3, 4) 3 Do not put your trust in princes Nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation. 4 His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.
(Ecclesiastes 3:20) All are going to the same place. They all come from the dust, and they all are returning to the dust.

(Ecclesiastes 9:4-10) 4 There is hope for whoever is among the living, because a live dog is better off than a dead lion. 5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun. ... 10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.

(Ecclesiastes 12:7) Then the dust returns to the earth, just as it was, and the spirit returns to the true God who gave it.

(Isaiah 26:19) “Your dead will live. My corpses will rise up. Awake and shout joyfully, You residents in the dust! For your dew is as the dew of the morning, And the earth will let those powerless in death come to life.

(Hosea 13:14) From the power of the Grave I will redeem them; From death I will recover them. Where are your stings, O Death? Where is your destructiveness, O Grave? Compassion will be concealed from my eyes.

(Mark 12:26) But concerning the dead being raised up, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the account about the thornbush, that God said to him: ‘I am the God of Abraham and God of Isaac and God of Jacob’?

(John 5:28, 29) 28 Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.

(John 11:24, 25) 24 Martha said to him: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life;

(Acts 24:15) And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.

(1 Corinthians 15:21) For since death came through a man, resurrection of the dead also comes through a man.

• the dead cannot communicate with either the living, or the dead. They cannot do anything. They are inactive - in the powerful grip of death.
  • the dead can... will live again, by means of a resurrection, which God promises, and is both willing and able to carry out.

The God of the living is the god of resurrection, meaning the dead cannot be resurrected. The dead must first identify with life before a resurrection from the dead.

The wise person is constantly on guard against identifying with death.

Treasure Hunter

Dead people are dead. Why be so greedy as to want more life than what is available? Ungrateful?

Take the time you have and make that time well spent.
The people who make a final judgment on the non-existence of their souls are already dead.

Frank Goad

I think this sounds like it makes sense.But I have read other passages that confuse me.:confused:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Dead people are dead. Why be so greedy as to want more life than what is available? Ungrateful?

Take the time you have and make that time well spent.
What you say here, reminds me of Solomon's words.
(Ecclesiastes 11:8) . . .For if a man should live many years, let him enjoy them all.. . .

(Ecclesiastes 5:18) This is what I have seen to be good and proper: that one should eat and drink and find enjoyment for all the hard work at which he toils under the sun during the few days of life that the true God has given him, for that is his reward.

(Ecclesiastes 8:15) So I recommended rejoicing, because there is nothing better for man under the sun than to eat and drink and rejoice; this should accompany him as he works hard during the days of his life, which the true God gives him under the sun.

What came to mind also, is
(1 Corinthians 15:32) . . .“let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we are to die.”

Of course, Solomon's words are quite different to the latter. Which did you have in mind?

nPeace

Veteran Member
I believe dead bodies are not useful for much other than worm bait. Spirits still alive after the death of a body have many more options.
When you say "Spirits still alive", what verses in the Bible talk about living spirits inside a man?

What is the spirit in Psalms 104:29, 30?

...and Ecclesiastes 12:7?

nPeace

Veteran Member
The God of the living is the god of resurrection, meaning the dead cannot be resurrected. The dead must first identify with life before a resurrection from the dead.

The wise person is constantly on guard against identifying with death.
I don't understand.
You say "the dead cannot be resurrected", but then you say "The dead must first identify with life before a resurrection from the dead."
Can you explain.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Dead people are dead. Their bodies decompose and are recycled. The atoms of the dead body will be used by worms and soil and flowers and trees and animals including humans. In this way we are all made up of dead people (and other things that have lived and are now dead)

Treasure Hunter

I don't understand.
You say "the dead cannot be resurrected", but then you say "The dead must first identify with life before a resurrection from the dead."
Can you explain.
When the dead identify with life, then they are living and can be resurrected.

There seem to be a lot of “Christians” who say they believe in the resurrection and yet appear to identify with death.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think this sounds like it makes sense.But I have read other passages that confuse me.:confused:
I understand. Could it be, you need to establish what's a basic truth, in order to understand what may be confusing you?
So, might the answer to the question, What is the condition of the dead? be a foundation on which you could build? Perhaps that might alleviate any confusion that attempts to set in.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Align, relate, and unify with the Son of Man and the God of the living.
Oh. So, you are thinking about when Jesus said, "I am the ... life". So in that sense.
What do you think about persons who died without knowing Christ... some of whom were born and died without even hearing about Christ, or those who were ignorant, or simply misled into believing what they were taught from an early age?
They all died. Are they lost forever... including those young soldier boys, who joined the army in sincerity?

Treasure Hunter

Oh. So, you are thinking about when Jesus said, "I am the ... life". So in that sense.
What do you think about persons who died without knowing Christ... some of whom were born and died without even hearing about Christ, or those who were ignorant, or simply misled into believing what they were taught from an early age?
They all died. Are they lost forever... including those young soldier boys, who joined the army in sincerity?
The Son of Man is an aspect of the soul. What happens in the world, while not unrelated, is secondary to what happens within the soul.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
OP asks: Are the dead alive somewhere?

If the dead were alive somewhere then they wouldn't be dead.

OP asks: Can the dead interact with the living... or dead?

Why should the dead even care to interact with the living? Aren't expectations of the dead wanting to come back to interact with the living kind of a vivocentric attitude? :) When I'm dead, I hope to be finally done with the world of the living. As for whether the dead can interact with the dead... Only the dead know the answer to that question (and they're not telling).

OP asks: Is there any hope for the dead... can the dead live again?

Better you should ask: "Is there any hope for the living?" :)

nPeace

Veteran Member
The Son of Man is an aspect of the soul. What happens in the world, while not unrelated, is secondary to what happens within the soul.
Sorry, I am trying to understand.
How does the son of man affect the soul of one who has not heard of him, and does this happen with all people?
Also, I'm sure visitors to the thread would like to know the source of your knowledge, as it is in 'Scriptural Debates'.
Does your information come directly from God, or is it from your mind... or other?

nPeace

Veteran Member
OP asks: Are the dead alive somewhere?

If the dead were alive somewhere then they wouldn't be dead.

OP asks: Can the dead interact with the living... or dead?

Why should the dead even care to interact with the living? Aren't expectations of the dead wanting to come back to interact with the living kind of a vivocentric attitude? :) As for whether the dead can interact with the dead... Only the dead know the answer to that question.

OP asks: Is there any hope for the dead... can the dead live again?

Better you should ask: "Is there any hope for the living?" :)
The last one cracked me up.
Good question. Wha your answer?