• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Were you there?

A demigod being raised from the dead in order to redeem humanity was a common theme in Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions that predate both Christianity and the Bible. One example is Attis, the Phrygian-Greek god of vegetation, which is dated to 1250 BCE. If we were to replace the name Jesus with Attis, then we would have strikingly familiar savior stories. In the mythological stories of Attis, he was divinely born of a virgin; he was hung on a tree and died; he descended into the underworld after his death; he was resurrected from the dead after three days; and he brought salvation with him in his rebirth. There are several other similarities between the stories about Attis and Jesus in this article, "Attis: Born of a Virgin on December 25th, Crucified and Resurrected after Three Days." And, like the myths about Attis, these other stories about Christ-like figures from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions predate Christianity and the Bible. I recommend learning more about Jesus in comparative mythology. You can start here: Jesus in comparative mythology. I recommend reading the following articles for more information as well. Of course, you can believe whatever you want.

10 Christ-Like Figures that predate Jesus

The Truth About Mythological Figures Similar To Jesus

Other Gods That Rose From the Dead in Spring Before Jesus Christ

nPeace

Veteran Member
Were you there?
Was I back in the first century A.D.?
I'm not even a hundred years old. :)

Does that mean we don't know what happened before we were born? Not necessarily.
There is what we call evidence. We use this to come to conclusions on what may or may not be true. Then we base our beliefs on this.

For example, no one was there, when the moon was formed, but persons tell us they know how the moon formed.
They also tell us that fish evolved to... well, let them tell you.

Do you normally ask these persons, the question you asked here - "Were you there?", or do you believe what they tell you?
What then is the purpose of your question, if not to say, we cannot know anything that happened before our time?

Do you believe Alexander the Great lived and conquered Persia?
Did the Pharaohs really use medical practices?
How do you know? Were you there?

i dont believe much of biblical stories, especially the ones that suggest magic.
What do you believe?
Did you know they thought that man being able to fly was magic?

It's only through understanding that man realized that things can be done - are possible - if one understands the mechanism behind it.
In other words, what Jesus did was not magic. Anyone who knew how to do what he did, could. Paul did.

Bthoth

*banned*
not knowingly but your living process was there, just like everyone of us alive today had lineage that was there.
Maybe you will be 100 someday!
Does that mean we don't know what happened before we were born? Not necessarily.
That premise goes both ways. Is the story true.... Not Necessarily!
There is what we call evidence. We use this to come to conclusions on what may or may not be true. Then we base our beliefs on this.
I know. lot's of presumptions of fact.
For example, no one was there, when the moon was formed, but persons tell us they know how the moon formed.
I know how the method works. Lots of opinions and lots of supplement's over time.
They also tell us that fish evolved to... well, let them tell you.
Evolution does exist, constant and forever in process.
Do you normally ask these persons, the question you asked here - "Were you there?", or do you believe what they tell you?
What then is the purpose of your question, if not to say, we cannot know anything that happened before our time?
Because many claim past writings as historical fact when the opinions are in fact just opinions.
Do you believe Alexander the Great lived and conquered Persia?
Sure the person existed just like ahkenatan. The stories and opinions vary.
Did the Pharaohs really use medical practices?
Absolutely. Circumcision itself began in egypt and the abrahamic religions learned it from that beginning.
How do you know? Were you there?
No, it's recorded in stone.
What do you believe?
Did you know they thought that man being able to fly was magic?
Sure........ Because before the knowledge evolved to engineer such capability it was considered impossible.
It's only through understanding that man realized that things can be done - are possible - if one understands the mechanism behind it.
Exactly.
In other words, what Jesus did was not magic. Anyone who knew how to do what he did, could. Paul did.
I agree.......... as I sustain that if jesus was put into the tomb and then walked out, 3 days later, that he was not dead but unconscious and woke up.

Nothing magical about it. Them people did not comprehend the difference of unconscious and dead. They did not know to check his pulse before pronouncement of death.

nPeace

Veteran Member
not knowingly but your living process was there, just like everyone of us alive today had lineage that was there.

Maybe you will be 100 someday!

That premise goes both ways. Is the story true.... Not Necessarily!

I know. lot's of presumptions of fact.
Were you there? No, you don't know that.

I know how the method works. Lots of opinions and lots of supplement's over time.

Evolution does exist, constant and forever in process.
What we see taking place today is not what is claimed to have happened millions of years ago.

Because many claim past writings as historical fact when the opinions are in fact just opinions.

Sure the person existed just like ahkenatan. The stories and opinions vary.

Absolutely. Circumcision itself began in egypt and the abrahamic religions learned it from that beginning.

No, it's recorded in stone.

Sure........ Because before the knowledge evolved to engineer such capability it was considered impossible.

Exactly.

I agree.......... as I sustain that if jesus was put into the tomb and then walked out, 3 days later, that he was not dead but unconscious and woke up.
Were you there? No, you don't know that

Nothing magical about it. Them people did not comprehend the difference of unconscious and dead. They did not know to check his pulse before pronouncement of death.

That was easy. Now I see the reason you asked that one question. ;)

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

If Jesus did exist, then I think that your explanation for his alleged resurrection is plausible. Based on my research on comparative mythology, I think the stories about him were either greatly embellished or copied and adapted from pagan myths to make him appear godlike. Of course, I don't believe he was divine, as his ardent followers portrayed him to be. There have been accounts of people being buried alive (for example, see here). The practice of placing a bell above the ground with a cord leading down into a coffin was common for many years, just in case the presumed dead person woke up.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Sure, there is evidence of some things and some things are evidence, but I do not consider the Bible stories evidence that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, nor do I consider the Bible evidence that Jesus rose from the dead. To me, they are only evidence that men can write stories.

We call have different standards of evidence.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Sure, there is evidence of some things and some things are evidence, but I do not consider the Bible stories evidence that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, nor do I consider the Bible evidence that Jesus rose from the dead. To me, they are only evidence that men can write stories.

We've discussed full-body apparitions before in regards to the alleged resurrection of Jesus. And, because this thread is about the dead, I thought I'd bring it up again. I don't believe in the stories of Jesus or Lazarus being raised from the dead, but I believe in full-body apparitions since I've seen my fair share.

I'm reposting what I wrote in another thread on the subject.

Full-body apparitions are the closest I've ever seen to earthbound human spirits that resemble living humans. These spirits can accumulate enough energy to manifest into more than a spectral image. They can appear and feel like a real living person, but then they will totally shock the hell out of the living by walking through a solid wall or door, vanishing right before their eyes, or vanishing without a trace in a matter of seconds. In my experience encountering these spirits, they are typically dressed in period clothing and have often been mistaken for historical reenactment actors or local residents who are into the history of the location. I've seen these extraordinary spirits mostly in homes from the Civil War era, in Civil War museums, and on Civil War battlefields.

In the paranormal field, full-body apparitions are considered to be the Holy Grail of spirits that a living person can see and/or interact with. It's quite an experience. I've seen them many times over the years (as I mentioned in a previous post here). To be honest, encountering them never ceases to amaze me. My husband understands how I feel. I've mentioned his personal encounters with the paranormal in another thread (see my other post here). He once interacted with a full-body apparition that he thought was an actual living man like him and didn't know he was conversing with a spirit until after the fact.

Bthoth

*banned*

What we see taking place today is not what is claimed to have happened millions of years ago.

So you and I have nothing to chat about.
That's easier

Bthoth

*banned*

OK..... bye.

Bthoth

*banned*
If Jesus did exist, then I think that your explanation for his alleged resurrection is plausible. Based on my research on comparative mythology, I think the stories about him were either greatly embellished or copied and adapted from pagan myths to make him appear godlike.
I could agree with that
Of course, I don't believe he was divine, as his ardent followers portrayed him to be.
Divine is very much a term built upon ambiguity.
There have been accounts of people being buried alive (for example, see here). The practice of placing a bell above the ground with a cord leading down into a coffin was common for many years, just in case the presumed dead person woke up.
Few ever look to identify that reality.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe if you won't believe what God says then you certainly won't believe anyone else. You will always be stuck in a materialistic ignorance.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe if you won't believe what God says then you certainly won't believe anyone else. You will always be stuck in a materialistic ignorance.
God did not say that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead or that Jesus rose from the dead. Men wrote those stories.

Bthoth

*banned*
That's rather harsh.

You expect a man, that fully comprehends that man created the religious dialogue to accept that a god said so? And you have the right to condemn a person for being honest before belief?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
He also had a firsthand encounter with a full-body apparition who he thought was a living, breathing man like him. But as he and I later found out from a friend, the man he spoke to for several minutes and even shook hands with had been dead for several years. My friend took us to a local cemetery to show us the man's grave. My husband was in shock and remained silent for some time.
Stories like this are what open-minded skeptics need to hear details on. Like how would your husband know the person he encountered and the dead person were the same person? What happened after the encounter? Did the person disappear or left the scene normally?

These are things an open-minded skeptic needs to have answered.