• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When it comes to Prayer 76% of Americans Don't Give a **** About the Constitution

Skwim

Veteran Member
(As an FYI, for the last 54 years public school sponsored prayer has been against the law in America)

"More than three-quarters (76%) of Americans agree that public high schools should be allowed to sponsor prayer before football games. There are few differences by race, region, gender, or age.

More than 9-in-10 (93%) white evangelical Protestants, approximately 8-in-10 white mainline Protestants (82%), minority Christians (81%), and Catholics (79%), and even a majority (56%) of religiously unaffiliated Americans agree that public high schools should be able to sponsor prayer before football games.

Nearly 9-in-10 (89%) Republicans agree that public high schools should be allowed to sponsor prayer before football games, compared to more than three-quarters (77%) of independents and nearly 7-in-10 (68%) Democrats
."
source

Or is it that these 76% are simply out-and-out ignorant Christians?

Supreme Court Rules School Sponsored Prayer Unconstitutional

Santa Fe Independent School District v. Jane Doe

On June 19, 2000, in the case of Santa Fe Independent School District v. Jane Doe (99-62), the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that a Texas public school district's practice of opening high school football games with a prayer is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court first ruled against school-sponsored prayer in 1962 in Engel v. Vitale. Since then, the Court has consistently ruled against school-sponsored worship, while permitting voluntary student-initiated religious activities. The Santa Fe case began in 1995 when the parents of two students sued their Texas school district in federal court following adoption of a policy allowing students to elect a classmate to deliver a prayer over the stadium's public address system prior to football games.
source

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Possibly that's because myself and most Christians do not believe the Constitution was written by, or in my case, even inspired by, God.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Possibly that's because myself and most Christians do not believe the Constitution was written by, or in my case, even inspired by, God.

So you don't believe the Bible, then? ;)

Submission to Civil Government

13 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 2 So the person who resists such authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment 3 (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation,4 for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God’s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities but also because of your conscience. 6 For this reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants devoted to governing.7 Pay everyone what is owed: taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.
Romans 13:1-7

Sultan Of Swing

(As an FYI, for the last 54 years public school sponsored prayer has been against the law in America)

"More than three-quarters (76%) of Americans agree that public high schools should be allowed to sponsor prayer before football games. There are few differences by race, region, gender, or age.

More than 9-in-10 (93%) white evangelical Protestants, approximately 8-in-10 white mainline Protestants (82%), minority Christians (81%), and Catholics (79%), and even a majority (56%) of religiously unaffiliated Americans agree that public high schools should be able to sponsor prayer before football games.

Nearly 9-in-10 (89%) Republicans agree that public high schools should be allowed to sponsor prayer before football games, compared to more than three-quarters (77%) of independents and nearly 7-in-10 (68%) Democrats
."
source

Supreme Court Rules School Sponsored Prayer Unconstitutional

Santa Fe Independent School District v. Jane Doe

On June 19, 2000, in the case of Santa Fe Independent School District v. Jane Doe (99-62), the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that a Texas public school district's practice of opening high school football games with a prayer is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court first ruled against school-sponsored prayer in 1962 in Engel v. Vitale. Since then, the Court has consistently ruled against school-sponsored worship, while permitting voluntary student-initiated religious activities. The Santa Fe case began in 1995 when the parents of two students sued their Texas school district in federal court following adoption of a policy allowing students to elect a classmate to deliver a prayer over the stadium's public address system prior to football games.
source
What does the Constitution actually say?

Is the Supreme Court always correct?

Should American Christians all support abortion now because clearly they don't know their constitution, that's what the Supreme Court ruled after all? Or is it conceivable that the Supreme Court re-interpreted the Constitution in a way that many other Americans didn't agree with?

Next time the Supreme Court makes a decision you don't agree with, can I say you don't give a **** about the Constitution?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
If they don't understand why it's important that any government body or publicly funded institution doesn't endorse or advocate any specific faith above another is quite ignorant, actually.

Well I'm one citizen that understands and I don't feel most others don't get it.
A persons religious affiliation or lack of it is no ones business least of all
the gov'ment.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

I wouldn't say that makes these people "out-and-out" ignorant; just that they either don't know of, or disagree with, public-school-sponsored prayers being illegal.

The Emperor of Mankind

What are the implications of this for you? By that I mean do you believe the Bible is more valuable to American society than the Constitution? If the two documents cause a conflict on an issue, which one do you think should be more adhered to in resolving said conflict?

Lyndon

Premium Member
Well given that the constitution as written only gave equal protection to White males, and inequality for all others, I hardly think of it as an inspired document.

The Emperor of Mankind

Well given that the constitution as written only gave equal protection to White males, and inequality for all others, I hardly think of it as an inspired document.

Does the fact it has been amended numerous times, and that protections for everyone regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation etc have been included, factor in to your opinion of it?

Demonslayer

It says:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

The "establishment of religion" clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion to another . . . in the words of Jefferson, the [First Amendment] clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect 'a wall of separation between church and State' . . . That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We could not approve the slightest breach.

There were then several landmark cases further defining school sponsored prayer to be unconstitutional.

But if you want to understand why this is so, just think: "would I want my Christian child to be forced to spend school time listening to Muslim prayers?"

Probably not, but one thing they cannot do is bring religious beliefs into their decision making.

Should American Christians all support abortion now because clearly they don't know their constitution, that's what the Supreme Court ruled after all?

Yes, all Christians should realize that we can't legislate based on religious ideals. What would prevent Muslims from forcing Sharia Law into our legal system?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If you think the Supreme Court has made an error in their judgement of the law, you're free to explain where you think they erred.

Should American Christians all support abortion now because clearly they don't know their constitution, that's what the Supreme Court ruled after all? Or is it conceivable that the Supreme Court re-interpreted the Constitution in a way that many other Americans didn't agree with?
American Christians should - and generally do - recognize that abortion is currently legal and focus their abortion-reducing efforts on convincing people to freely choose not to abort or to change the law by legal means.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Likewise your "inspired scriptures" favored males of a specific tribe, and was rife with homophobia and misogyny. Fortunately The Constitution has evolved, but has your holy writ?

Lyndon

Premium Member
Just the fact that atheists are so against prayer shows just how powerful prayer is!!