• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When, if ever, should one country meddle in the internal politics of another country?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When, if ever, should one country meddle in the internal politics of another country? When should a country not meddle in another country's internal politics?

Would the world be better off today if foreign countries had successfully meddled in the politics of 1930s Germany to prevent Hitler's rise to power?

Is the world a better place today because of United States meddling in 1973 Chile to topple President Salvador Allende in a military coup?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
When, if ever, should one country meddle in the internal politics of another country? When should a country not meddle in another country's internal politics?

When a country ask us to intervene. Or if that country is being particularly threatening, like North Korea is now.

Would the world be better off today if foreign countries had successfully meddled in the politics of 1930s Germany to prevent Hitler's rise to power?

I would venture to guess yes. The world is a better place by stopping Hitler. Europe and Russia were getting their butts kicked before we intervened and saved them.

Is the world a better place today because of United States meddling in 1973 Chile to topple President Salvador Allende in a military coup?

Yes, but then again I am always against Marxist communist like Allende. Communism has brought nothing but famine, death, and war every attempt that has been made.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member

I suppose meddling in the internal politics of another country would be "ok" when the politics of the country have huge negative ramifications for the rest of the world. Stopping Hitler from coming to power would be a good example.

Shad

Veteran Member
When, if ever, should one country meddle in the internal politics of another country?

When said nation is an ideological and geo-political enemy of another nation; Russia, China, NK for examples.

When should a country not meddle in another country's internal politics?

When it is an ideological ally.

No as the Communists would have won in Germany. The Allies would have no real military strength to threaten the USSR as there would be no WW2 nor Cold War. Chances are most of Europe would be Communist by force or election (France)

I do not know enough about this to make a judgement.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
When they are asked or where there is evidence of genocide occurring like in Rwanda... ...which the world largely ignored. Thou shalt not meddle in the affairs on an ally unless that ally has done some that has seriously harmed the relationship.

Definitely, no, because very few took him terribly seriously, at the time. I'd love to know @Nietzsche thoughts on this topic.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I would venture to guess yes. The world is a better place by stopping Hitler. Europe and Russia were getting their butts kicked before we intervened and saved them.

The 'we rode in on our white horse and saved the world' narrative is a little irksome.

Enoch07

Premium Member
The 'we rode in on our white horse and saved the world' narrative is a little irksome.

No, we were asked to intervene. The U.S originally planned on staying neutral until Pearl Harbor was attacked.

Military history of the United States during World War II - Wikipedia

"The military history of the United States in World War II covers the war against Germany, Italy, Japan and starting with the 7 December 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. During the first two years of World War II, the United States had maintained formal neutrality as made officially in the Quarantine Speech delivered by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1937"

You can click on the link for the Quarantine speech above if you want to read further.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No, we were asked to intervene. The U.S originally planned on staying neutral until Pearl Harbor was attacked.

Military history of the United States during World War II - Wikipedia

"The military history of the United States in World War II covers the war against Germany, Italy, Japan and starting with the 7 December 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. During the first two years of World War II, the United States had maintained formal neutrality as made officially in the Quarantine Speech delivered by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1937"

You can click on the link for the Quarantine speech above if you want to read further.

Wasn't quibbling that you were asked to intervene, nor even that US assistance made a massive difference.

I study military history, though, and I'd argue that Germany was in trouble regardless of US intervention.
Also, being last to the party doesn't convey special rights. That 2 years of neutrality cost a lot of lives, too. Was Hitler worth stopping or not? If yes, why did it take so long to become involved? If no, why did you become involved?

The Pacific War is a different story. My countrymen fought bravely against the Japanese, but without US forces, we were going to find it difficult, to say the least.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
When they are asked or where there is evidence of genocide occurring like in Rwanda... ...which the world largely ignored. Thou shalt not meddle in the affairs on an ally unless that ally has done some that has seriously harmed the relationship.

Definitely, no, because very few took him terribly seriously, at the time. I'd love to know @Nietzsche thoughts on this topic.

I think the issue is not when he was initially rising to power, but more once he had full control of the Nazi party. Austria, Czechoslovakia, Ruhr Valley and his stated intentions on the Danzig Corridor, as well as Nazi actions in Spain were all clearly more than mere sabre rattling.

Much as I dislike the Treaty of Versailles, and much as the Germans were creative in exploiting loopholes, I find it hard to believe it wasn't common knowledge that Germany was in breach of re-armament restrictions.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Also, being last to the party doesn't convey special rights. That 2 years of neutrality cost a lot of lives, too. Was Hitler worth stopping or not? If yes, why did it take so long to become involved? If no, why did you become involved?

The damage from WW1 was so severe that that the majority of U.S. citizens did not want to be involved in another world war. I am sure if Europe could have avoided WW2 they would have done the same.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

When the country is perpetrating a genocide.

To some extent it was the meddling of countries in Germany's internal affairs that led to the rise of Hitler.

Versailles, USSR, etc.

Usually only when there is a direct threat to the country itself (or its allies on request).

The main problem with interventionism is that it often doesn't work very well. Iraq, Libya, etc.

Israel/Palestine would probably have been solved decades ago if it wasn't for the meddling of outsiders for their own ends.

As a species we are hubristic, believe we can control things more than we can, and have a bias towards intervention "we must do something". The problem is that this something often does more harm than good, like taking antibiotics for a common cold because you want to do something.

Modern rationalistic ideologies have only added to this conceit, a big part of what is termed the Enlightenment, was about the perfectibility of man/society through our own rational actions. Modern interventionism is simply a continuation of this hubristic belief.

Much as we might think we must do something, we should only act when it is necessary through threat, not when it is ideologically convenient to interfere in the affairs of others in places we don't really understand and can't control nearly as well as we think we can.

taykair

"When, if ever, should one country meddle in the internal politics of another country?"

I don't believe they should. However, I realize that personal morality and the morality of nation-states are not the same.

There have probably been more sins committed in the name of "the national interest" or "national security" than we will ever know.

PureX

Veteran Member
When they are asked to do so, and feel compelled to comply. Or when deemed necessary to protect it's own sovereignty.
When should a country not meddle in another country's internal politics?
As a general rule, never.
Doubtful, human nature being what it is.
It's impossible to know. Humans do not possess an ultimate knowledge of good and evil. And the more with think we do, the more we suffer the consequences of that hubris.