• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

when God saved Moses (pbuh) from Pharoah, by date ?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Salam/Shalom to you all

I watched recently a good movie called "Exodus : Gods and Kings" .

it's about history of Hebrews and Prophet Moses (pbuh) in Egypt , how God saved them from Pharoah and his army ...etc

does this movie match 100% with history of Moses (pbuh) ?

When God (by date) saved Moses and Hebrews from Pharoah ? i mean the day that God split the red sea for let the Hebrews cross to other side

Godobeyer

Premium Member
I think it was Tuesday.
no i meant day/month/year ?
i google it i did not find anything , maybe Hebrew reference could help .

I am curious if this great moment in Jewish history had reference by date !

rosends

The Exodus was on the 15th of Nisan, 1313BCE (2448 from creation). I would have to dig more for day of the week. You should buy The Jewish Timeline Encyclopedia by Mattis Kantor (ISBN 0876682298)

Godobeyer

Premium Member
The Exodus was on the 15th of Nisan, 1313BCE (2448 from creation). I would have to dig more for day of the week. You should buy The Jewish Timeline Encyclopedia by Mattis Kantor (ISBN 0876682298)
unforunetly i can't buy anything by internet here , we don't have this option yet .

Is Exodus day, is the same day that Moses (pbuh) and his people saved by cross the sea (when God split sea) ?

David1967

Premium Member
Salam/Shalom to you all

I watched recently a good movie called "Exodus : Gods and Kings" .

it's about history of Hebrews and Prophet Moses (pbuh) in Egypt , how God saved them from Pharoah and his army ...etc

does this movie match 100% with history of Moses (pbuh) ?

When God (by date) saved Moses and Hebrews from Pharoah ? i mean the day that God split the red sea for let the Hebrews cross to other side
Unfortunately it does not follow scripture very well at all. Good action movie, but beyond that its just Hollywood recreating the story as they see fit with no reverence for the biblical account. God is portrayed as a dirty little boy on the mountain? Don't know where they got that. The Nile river turning to blood because the crocodiles attacked instead of God doing it....and so on.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
There is good reason to question the exodus and qualitatively insufficient evidence to confirm it, much less date it.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
There is good reason to question the exodus and qualitatively insufficient evidence to confirm it, much less date it.
Since it's confirmed in Quran i believe in it .

I can say i need the date in search project about, is that day match with hadith one ?

Last edited:

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Unfortunately it does not follow scripture very well at all. Good action movie, but beyond that its just Hollywood recreating the story as they see fit with no reverence for the biblical account. God is portrayed as a dirty little boy on the mountain? Don't know where they got that. The Nile river turning to blood because the crocodiles attacked instead of God doing it....and so on.
it's strange , why Hollywood faking/editing the origin story of Moses(pbuh) in this movie !!!

David1967

Premium Member
it's strange , why Hollywood faking/editing the origin story of Moses(pbuh) in this movie !!!
Personally, I think there is a complete contempt in Hollywood about biblical subjects. As also demonstrated in the recent movie Noah with Rusell Crowe. They really did a number on that one. Seriously the stories are amazing enough they have no need to change anything. Have a great day.

David1967

Premium Member
What specifically did you find contemptible?
Am I offended personally? No. Hollywood is Hollywood and will do what it wants. Is it an accurate representation of the Exodus? I don't think so.. It goes off path often with examples I gave such as God appearing to Moses as a dirty little boy and so on. I see from your profile page that your religion is Judaism. Do you feel it was an accurate representation? Also ,is the Pentateuch translated to read the same in Judaism as it is in the Christian bible?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I see from your profile page that your religion is Judaism. Do you feel it was an accurate representation? Also ,is the Pentateuch translated to read the same in Judaism as it is in the Christian bible?
The Torah is notoriously terse; any theatrical narrative will have ample space for creative interpretation. In this it shares much with Midrash.
Also ,is the Pentateuch translated to read the same in Judaism as it is in the Christian bible?
The question is broken.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
... is the Pentateuch translated to read the same in Judaism as it is in the Christian bible?
The question is broken.
There is more than one English translation of the Torah and many more translations appearing as the Christian "Old Testament." You even have such things as the NSRV which adopts the JPS (Jewish) translation for their Jewish scripture.

Some translations are more faithful to the Hebrew text; others more faithful to the presumed Hebrew meaning.

It is impossible to answer your question without knowing to which translations you are referring.

David1967

Premium Member
There is more than one English translation of the Torah and many more translations appearing as the Christian "Old Testament." You even have such things as the NSRV which adopts the JPS (Jewish) translation for their Jewish scripture.

Some translations are more faithful to the Hebrew text; others more faithful to the presumed Hebrew meaning.

It is impossible to answer your question without knowing to which translations you are referring.
I understand now. I was generalizing.Thanks