• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When evangelists knock on your door...

sooda

Veteran Member
What does that have to do with respect, or lack of it, for a person's rights.
You didn't answer my question though. That's not very professional... I assume you are a medical practitioner.
Tell me the medical facility you work at, so I can know where not to go, and let my brothers and friends know to avoid it like the plague.

I could always let you push your luck, but extracting a couple million from you, won't take out the blood you pumped in.

It was an excellent hospital and still is. The young mother and her infant survived to return to her other four pre-school children at home. Funny that daddy had a lawyer on speed dial 300 miles away.

You JWs should open your own hospitals.. but there are no JW doctors are there?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Then her husband should have kept her at home. Watching a young mother of 5 die needlessly is not OK. Maybe you should do that and accept the ignorant, poverty ridden religious fanatics into YOUR clinic.
Another thing... so you think "gays" should not complain when they are refused services? Would you recommend they stay at home and bake their own cake, and put whatever they want on it?

sooda

Veteran Member
Another thing... so you think "gays" should not complain when they are refused services? Would you recommend they stay at home and bake their own cake, and put whatever they want on it?

Baking a cake? Are you comparing baking a cake to watching a young woman bleed out after delivery??? Really?

nPeace

Veteran Member
It was an excellent hospital and still is. The young mother and her infant survived to return to her other four pre-school children at home. Funny that daddy had a lawyer on speed dial 300 miles away.

You JWs should open your own hospitals.. but there are no JW doctors are there?
So now you are God? They live because of you?
So gays should open their own bakeries?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Baking a cake? Are you comparing baking a cake to watching a young woman bleed out after delivery??? Really?
I know you went to school.
What does it matter if it is lifestyle - which you ignored, but are happy to jump on cake, - or health care?
You do know what rights are, don't you?

We Never Know

No Slack
What do you say when members of a religious group (such as the Jehovah’s Witnesses) knock on your door, evangelising?

I currently politely say “sorry, I already have a religion” and leave it as that

But the next time it happens I think I’m going to say something outrageous such as “I don’t need religion, I have a direct line to God” (don’t worry, I don’t believe I have a direct line to God!) or make up a religion and tell them I belong to that

I've came to realise that telling them I am not interested in what they are trying to push upon me. If god wanted me he would convince me to go to church instead of sending his followers out like annoying vacuum salesman works very well.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Are you not requesting the person's attention? You should be or why else would you visit them?
Let’s see....as per the definition, there are.....
three kinds of solicitation. One is asking for money, like when someone goes door-to-door trying to collect money for a cause. In law, solicitation means encouraging someone to commit a crime. Solicitation can also mean making a plea to someone with power to grant a request or favor.”

No,
No,
And no.

But then, maybe your definition is broader.

Do you consider every uninvited caller to be soliciting? The law (U.S.) doesn’t.

sooda

Veteran Member
So now you are God? They live because of you?
So gays should open their own bakeries?

Who is playing God? Her husband should have delivered her himself at home.

I see you are male. How old are you? Why did you suddenly shift the conversation to homosexuals?

sooda

Veteran Member
three kinds of solicitation. One is asking for money, like when someone goes door-to-door trying to collect money for a cause. In law, solicitation means encouraging someone to commit a crime. Solicitation can also mean making a plea to someone with power to grant a request or favor.”

No,
No,
And no.

Do you consider every uninvited caller to be soliciting? The law (U.S.) doesn’t.

Leave your JW card on the door like a Realtor ..

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

No,
No,
And no.

"the act of asking for or trying to obtain something from someone."

You try to gain their attention.
Attention is something.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
They came to my house for three days running at 7 AM. You bet I told them to get off my property.

Not JW’s! We don’t go to any home uninvited @ 7 AM? Bullocks.

What does “three days running” mean? 3 days IN A ROW?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Back in the UK i had a sign on the gate, "Neighborhood Watch Area, unsolicited callers will be reported to the police"
Beautiful and very clear sign; I wish we had them. I expect that all (sane) humans understood this, and you never had any Jehovah Witnesses again.

When a JW group called, i politely asked if they had read the sign. F they replied 'yes' usually with some other tripe to follow, i reached for the phone and began to dial. It is amazing how quick they left.

If they said 'no' i asked if they would please read it and closed the door.
I believe there is nothing more ignorant and annoying than disturbing a family meal just to "spread the word "
You must be kidding me, they really did this? Amazing (not grace, though).
This is proof that these Jehovah Witnesses intentionally violated your rights, way to go "Jehovah Witnesses".
I expect @Deeje and @Hockeycowboy to apologize for such behavior; they would never do such a thing. Must be embarrassing for them to read this

stvdv

Back in the UK i had a sign on the gate, "Neighborhood Watch Area, unsolicited callers will be reported to the police"

Looking up what “soliciting” means....
Correction @Deeje. Google gives for "unsolicited" that ChristineM could not have chosen a better word in this context, don't you agree reading this?
unsolicited
/ʌnsəˈlɪsɪtɪd/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
  1. not asked for; given or done voluntarily.
    "unsolicited junk mail"

stvdv

Very decent and clearly said. No discrimination of certain groups. All are equal ... some are not more (un) equal than others ... I like that.

If you have a sign that says “No Jehovah’s Witnesses” we can read. :D
Nowadays Dutch schools teach 4 year old children "STOP means STOP", no argument needed. Usually these 4 year old children "get it" in 1 day. Took me longer:D

Last edited:

stvdv

Very decent and clearly said using "unsolicited". No discrimination of certain groups. All are equal ... some are not more (un) equal than others ... I like that.

If you have a sign that says “No Jehovah’s Witnesses” we can read. :D
1): @ChristineM is too nice for this. Some people might/could see this as "incitement to discrimination".
2: @ChristineM is too smart for this. Some people might/could send her a Law Suit for "incitement to discrimination".

@ChristineM had this solved in a very nice and smart way ... and very respectful. I think even Jehovah Witnesses should agree to this.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You must be kidding me, they really did this? Amazing (not grace, though).
This is proof that these Jehovah Witnesses intentionally violated your rights, way to go "Jehovah Witnesses".
I expect @Deeje and @Hockeycowboy to apologize for such behavior; they would never do such a thing. Must be embarrassing for them to read this

Not quite sure why you needed so many posts to say the same thing but :rolleyes:......I have already addressed all these points.

We have made it clear that this is NOT standard behavior and that JW's do not endorse breaking the law or using subterfuge to trick people into taking literature. If any JW was caught doing this, they would be reprimanded.
It doesn't make us embarrassed but it does make us angry if our brothers do not follow through on directions. I imagine it would make God angry too. It does not accomplish anything good....and besides, the stories that appear on threads like these are uncorroborated and usually come from the haters. Nuff said IMO.

As for the whole "soliciting" thing.....I am wondering if Jesus was doing the preaching, how many would be so quick to call the police? Atheists would in a heartbeat I think....nothing new then is there? Like I said already.....we are not breaking the law because what we do does not constitute "soliciting" in the legal sense. It means that we can't be charged because we did not break any law.

Our visits may be an annoyance to some, and usually, all that is required is for the householder to state that they do not want JW's to call again. If our brothers do not respect their wishes, they bring reproach on the whole brotherhood. There are eight and a half million of us and the great majority are not ill mannered and can read and follow directions....mindful of how their conduct affects others.

Last edited:

stvdv

Not quite sure why you needed so many posts to say the same thing but :rolleyes:......I have already addressed all these points.

We have made it clear that this is NOT standard behavior and that JW's do not endorse breaking the law or using subterfuge to trick people into taking literature. If any JW was caught doing this, they would be reprimanded.
It doesn't make us embarrassed but it does make us angry if our brothers do not follow through on directions. I imagine it would make God angry too. It does not accomplish anything good....and besides, the stories that appear on threads like these are uncorrelated and usually come from the haters. Nuff said IMO.

As for the whole "soliciting" thing.....I am wondering if Jesus was doing the preaching, how many would be so quick to call the police? Atheists would in a heartbeat I think....nothing new then is there? Like I said already.....we are not breaking the law because what we do does not constitute "soliciting" in the legal sense. It means that we can't be charged because we did not break any law.

Our visits may be an annoyance to some, and usually, all that is required is for the householder to state that they do not want JW's to call again. If our brothers do not respect their wishes, they bring reproach on the whole brotherhood. There are eight and a half million of us and the great majority are not ill mannered and can read and follow directions....mindful of how their conduct affects others.
Thank you.

Yes ... I did need quite a few posts, didn't I?

But that's because I read a few times "We (as Jehovah Witnesses) would not do this", which I can understand by the way (I am not too fond to read about people calling themselves religious and doing adharmic acts either). Even I do stupid now and then (most difficult to admit)

And I do know @ChristineM only virtual, but she does not seem the person to make up her story AT ALL. And that was suggested in some reply I read, hence I needed a few extra posts, I guess. Some emotional trigger still in me ... I am working on it. Thanks for pointing it out, though.

And I know for a fact that @ChristineM is right that this happens with SOME members of Jehovah Witnesses, because a similar thing she described happened to me also. So when you replied that "We would not do that", I had to correct that. It does happen. BUT weird stuff happens in any group (Atheist and Theist alike), also at the Ashram I was in.

But I also agree with you, that some people make up stories. Humanity is a mess, and internet messes up things even more (with all the fake news stories)

Last edited:

stvdv

It doesn't make us embarrassed but it does make us angry if our brothers do not follow through on directions. I imagine it would make God angry too

As for the whole "soliciting" thing.....I am wondering if Jesus was doing the preaching, how many would be so quick to call the police?
Atheists would in a heartbeat I think....nothing new then is there?
1): I can't believe God gets angry (he might "act" angry), because IF God created all, and IF He is omniscient ... Him being surprised how we act, would surprise me
(Note: If humans get angry it's a bit fireworks, imagine if Almighty God loses it and gets really angry ... nah ... I can't believe that)

2): Aha, if Jesus did the preaching ... a whole different story ... He who is without sin can throw the first stone.

3): You might be surprised ... a real Atheist would debate Jesus till all his doubts are gone I think. Way better than all these ignoramus on RF, or not?