• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did/do you get saved?

Weddy

Forgiven
If the scale of one's good deeds overweight the scale of bad deeds then the person is saved.
God has created within everyone of us good and evil, and gave us freewill to follow the path we want. So we are responsible for our actions and for the outcome of our deeds.

Peace

No one is "good" enough to get to heaven. That's why Jesus came to die and suffer separation from God in our place.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Saying...OK i accept Jesus...would imply that Jesus is in some way on offer. But i dont think that is what is going on. I believe i was saved on the cross. When god decided it was time, he drew me too him, to get to know him, not to get saved.
Okay, let's follow up on this. If you were saved on the cross, was everyone else also saved on the cross? What I'm asking is, who was saved on the cross -- everyone who has ever lived or just some? If, when God decided it was time, He drew you to Him to get to know Him (but NOT to be saved), was that also the case with everybody else? What about all the non-Christians who feel a closeness to God? Have they also been saved?

Heneni

Miss Independent
No one is "good" enough to get to heaven. That's why Jesus came to die and suffer separation from God in our place.

Im not so sure that you dont have to suffer. We have to fill up what is lacking in christs sufferings, and if we suffer we will share in his glory. No suffer...no glory. Picking up your cross means....a hard time. We have a price to pay, but that price is not compared to the glory that will be revealed in us. And our reward is god.

Okay, let's follow up on this. If you were saved on the cross, was everyone else also saved on the cross? What I'm asking is, who was saved on the cross -- everyone who has ever lived or just some? If, when God decided it was time, He drew you to Him to get to know Him (but NOT to be saved), was that also the case with everybody else? What about all the non-Christians who feel a closeness to God? Have they also been saved?

Im going to have to throw my hands up in the air here. I have no right to say who was IN him and who wasnt. I wouldnt even know where to start the speculation.

Last edited:

Peace

Quran & Sunnah

We can get to Heaven only through the mercy of God.
We are responsible for our sins that can be forgiven through sincere repentance. And there is no mediator between a person and His Creator.

Weddy

Forgiven
Im not so sure that you dont have to suffer. We have to fill up what is lacking in christs sufferings, and if we suffer we will share in his glory. No suffer...no glory. Picking up your cross means....a hard time. We have a price to pay, but that price is not compared to the glory that will be revealed in us. And our reward is god.

Well, we do suffer things on earth like pain, death of a loved one, sickness, etc. But a born again Christian won't suffer in hell or from separation from God. He is with us while we suffer on earth, and not everything we suffer from on earth is because of sin. I don't believe Christ is lacking in anything, and it's not our glory but His that should be our goal.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Well, we do suffer things on earth like pain, death of a loved one, sickness, etc. But a born again Christian won't suffer in hell or from separation from God. He is with us while we suffer on earth, and not everything we suffer from on earth is because of sin. I don't believe Christ is lacking in anything, and it's not our glory but His that should be our goal.

Colossians 1: 24Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.

Each one of us have a measure of suffering to endure.

By the way wendy...congratulations on 21 years of marriage. Its good to know....that it can still happen.

Heneni

Weddy

Forgiven
By the way wendy...congratulations on 21 years of marriage. Its good to know....that it can still happen.

Heneni

Thank you, Heneni. Sometimes I didn't think we'd make it because we're both so stubborn, but after he learned to say "yes dear" to everything, I knew we'd last forever. :yes:

Muffled

Jesus in me
for me, it was not specifically a sinner's prayer that saved me.

i did pray, after isha prayers, while still a Muslim. the "sinner's prayer" is one way to accepting Christ, but many, many people have become Christians other ways.

in many of the cases i've read, though, personal prayer does play the key role in the person's recieving God's grace, and new life, in Christ.

Saying the Sinners Prayer is not the same thing as praying it. As Eph 2:8,9 says " we are saved by grace through faith." If a person is not sincerely asking Jesus to be Lord and Savior then He won't be. So although the gift of salvation and faith are free they do the person no good until he receives the gifts. God does not force His free gifts on anyone.

theMadJW

There is the premise that somebody gets saved when they say the sinners prayer. Do you believe that is when you are saved?

If not...why not
If yes...why yes.

Heneni

Mad: I choose to accept what Jesus himself said:

"He who endures to the END is the one that WILL BE saved". - Matthew 24:14

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Mad: I choose to accept what Jesus himself said:

"He who endures to the END is the one that WILL BE saved". - Matthew 24:14

That is true, but "death" is not the end. Not by a long shot. There is much more to the journey and to learn than what you can simply read in a book. Once you make the realization for yourself that "death" is just an illusion and all existence is eternal life, then you will realize you are already saved, you have always been. All of existence is "enlightened". There is no need for a savior. Jesus was a messenger, not a savior. There is nothing we need saving from but the wickedness of our own "minds". That we must learn for ourselves.

tigrers99

There is the premise that somebody gets saved when they say the sinners prayer. Do you believe that is when you are saved?

If not...why not
If yes...why yes.

Heneni

A person can be saved by saying the Sinners prayer, it depends. The New Testament teaches that a person is saved from their sins when they come to the kind of faith or belief commanded by the Lord. That kind of faith or belief is the point where one lowers all their carnal defenses to let the words of the New Testament sink in deep enough to cause a noticeable paradigm shift in the person's psychological, moral, and spiritual makeup. What has happened to cause this noticeable change is that the Holy Spirit baptized the person's spirit in Christ's spiritual blood, thus causing a renewal or regeneration of that person's spirit.

Truthsayer

You will be saved when you eventually recognize and can correctly define the difference between "religion" and "Spirituality". Let me spell it out for you;

R emaining on the dark side of

E nlightenment.

L iving in

I gnorance of the truth within the word

G od has spoken.

I nstilling and worshipping fear while

O ppressing all understanding of the true

N ature, which is God.

VS

S ouls's journey along an ascended

P ath toward enlightenment.

I ntegrity and

R ighteousness lead the way, converting

I gnorance and fear into

T ruth and

U nderstanding.

A scending into the

L ight, fear is erased

I gnorance replaced by

T ruth. The wisdom and understanding of God is

Y ours throughout eternity.

It is my faith that this "latter" path is the one Jesus, Muhammad, Krishna and Buddha lived their examples by, and is the one they have laid for us to follow.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well this is how i see it. You are not saved when you 'accept' jesus. You dont 'accept' jesus at some point in your life.

You are saved if, on the cross, jesus put you IN him.

So hence you were saved on the cross. Not when you say the sinners prayer.

You dont get saved when you say the sinners prayer. What you DO do, is testify to the fact that he is your saviour...thereby becoming a WITNESS to the fact that you ARE saved, and that the saving happened on the cross.

On the cross, he translated you out of the kingdom of darkness where you were (yes you existed before you were born) and translated you into the kingdom of light. Since you were then in the kingdom of light (paradise, with the thief crucified with jesus), you are born from above onto this planet.

You are therefore, incarnated onto this earth from above. Jesus was the first to be born from above, and we are in turn also born from above. That birth..is called...being born again. Born by the will and design of god and not by the desire of your parents. They are just the vehicle to get you here.

Your date of birth is not when you popped out of your mother...that was your date of re-entry.

heneni

I suspect Calvinism is at work in your concept ie that people are predestined to be saved. If that were the case there would be no hope for the lost.

That would be nice if it were the case however there are sufficient statements by Jesus of people being cast into outer darkness etc, that one can't categorically state that a person is saved on the cross.

When I asked God/Jesus to be my Savior, I had no knowledge of what happened on the cross. I came to God because I had faith in Him. The truth is that God has always been faithful and the cross only certified that fact in blood.

Not everyone is from above. Some are born from below. Granted that I was born from above (having been in Heaven) but not all people have come from Heaven. I don't recall if I came from Heaven into previous lives. Some of those lives, I was in the kingdom of darkness. It would be interesting to find out what life those changes came in but not all lives are available to me, only the ones that God wishes to reveal to me.

A

angellous_evangellous

If not...why not
If yes...why yes.

Heneni

No, if we were an inanimate object, we could be "saved" by the simple doing of something.

Having an existence, we have to live out our salvation.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Salvation is a matter of election, not a matter of choice. If we choose jesus, then our salvation is wholy our doing, having supposedly made the right choice to choose jesus.

Instead our salvation is a matter of election, and that election was made sure when we were placed in christ on the cross and we died with him, and therefore we have been raised in newness of life.

If we get saved when jesus accepts us, then we were appointed for salvation before the foundations of the earth, and whoever was chosen before the foundations of the earth, were placed in him, and united to him on the cross and saved.

I believe that god forgave the sins of the whole world, but he did not unite himself to the whole world, and did not put the whole world IN him on the cross. Whoever was placed in him, was resurrected with him, and translated out of the kingdom of darkness and into the kingdom of light (paradise) and it is from here that we are born onto this earth, born from above, and in that way born again.

Heneni

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Salvation is a matter of election, not a matter of choice. If we choose jesus, then our salvation is wholy our doing, having supposedly made the right choice to choose jesus.

Instead our salvation is a matter of election, and that election was made sure when we were placed in christ on the cross and we died with him, and therefore we have been raised in newness of life.

If we get saved when jesus accepts us, then we were appointed for salvation before the foundations of the earth, and whoever was chosen before the foundations of the earth, were placed in him, and united to him on the cross and saved.

I believe that god forgave the sins of the whole world, but he did not unite himself to the whole world, and did not put the whole world IN him on the cross. Whoever was placed in him, was resurrected with him, and translated out of the kingdom of darkness and into the kingdom of light (paradise) and it is from here that we are born onto this earth, born from above, and in that way born again.

Heneni
I don't believe that is quite right. First you must accept Christ. He will not accept you until you do. Yet you are not saved by your acceptance but His.