• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Your Take on Buddhism?

Otherright

Otherright
I would really like peoples' opinions on buddhism. Especially those of Christians and atheists.

I would think that buddhists and christians could get along ideologically because of equal attention to the need for compassion and love.

I would think atheists and buddhists could get along well because of the lack of a god, and the reliance of science to explain the natural world.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Certainly anyone can "get along well" with anyone else, given enough eye-blinding to certain details.

I like Buddhism. It's only about freedom from suffering, not good and evil. It doesn't try to play scientist, and leaves many questions unanswered for the sake of "irrelevance" to the pursuit of awakening. It deals with the mind, and mastering thoughts.

All in all, a solid ace.

Otherright

Otherright
Certainly anyone can "get along well" with anyone else, given enough eye-blinding to certain details.

I like Buddhism. It's only about freedom from suffering, not good and evil. It doesn't try to play scientist, and leaves many questions unanswered for the sake of "irrelevance" to the pursuit of awakening. It deals with the mind, and mastering thoughts.

All in all, a solid ace.

I'd love to frubal that, but it isn't letting me.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I see it as being nice but unnecessary.

I think it has principles others would do well to incorporate into their lives.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think Buddhism has much to recommend it, such as its emphasis on empirical observation, and the primacy of your own well-considered experience. It's my understanding, though, that when you get into folk Buddhism, you find as much nonsense as in any religion.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The Buddha's teachings are very wise, and the Four Noble Truths are easy to incorporate into other religions.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think Buddhism has much to recommend it, such as its emphasis on empirical observation, and the primacy of your own well-considered experience. It's my understanding, though, that when you get into folk Buddhism, you find as much nonsense as in any religion.
Very astute, Phil. That is pretty much my take on it too.

In my view, though there are aspects of Buddhism that rub me the wrong way, it is the closest of the world's religions to reality. Buddhism was a great help to me getting over my god-concepts. It would be nice if those cherished images of deity were correct, but sadly, they are not, they're simply stepping stones towards your own greater, but largely unknown, reality. If you thought god was cool, wait till you get a load of the perpetually changing "self".

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
From what I know Buddism is basically a form of agnosticism in which the possibilty of the existence of the divine is considered but with no definitive statement made on the issue.

Many Sages One Truth

I would really like peoples' opinions on buddhism. Especially those of Christians and atheists.

I would think that buddhists and christians could get along ideologically because of equal attention to the need for compassion and love.

I would think atheists and buddhists could get along well because of the lack of a god, and the reliance of science to explain the natural world.

Let's see, a Christian take on Buddhism, well I personally consider them the same thing. By that I don't mean to say they're one religion, or that they have no difference of culture or terminology, but that beneath these things they teach liberation and lead to the same end.

I agree with Thich Naht Hanh that one could say they are Buddhist, and also be Christian, and vice versa. I believe Jesus could be called a Buddha, and Gautama could be called awakened to Christ-consciousness. I just said the same thing by two different means.

Onkara

I find it loveless and cold, like a slug between the toes :p (joke) But it doesn't seem to be complete, either you have to accept it all as mind/illusion or as void.
I would like to learn more about it.

Last edited:

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born

Hi Otherright!

I'm not a Christian or an atheist, but here's my opinion anyway.:) I agree that both Buddhists and Christians value love and compassion, but their foundations are different. Buddhism is founded on the understanding the source of suffering and how to eliminate it, while the two main forms of Christianity are founded on either a belief in Jesus Christ as your personal Savior or adherence to the teachings and rituals of the Catholic Church. While I could see Buddhists and Christians working together on some humanitarian project, I'm not convinced they have a lot to talk about.

Atheists and Theravada Buddhists would probably get on just fine, though I still think atheists would cringe at all the religious trappings. Most other Buddhists - Mahayana, Vajrayana, Shin - atheists would see them as no different than any other eastern religion.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Buddhism is just a cheap rip-off of Revoltifarianism.
Consequently, it's pretty cool & useful.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I don't know much about Buddhism but in a recent search for quotes (I love inspirational quotes), I'm quite fond of the some Buddhist quotes on happiness.

A very patient person has explained a bit to me about Buddhism and I do see the similarities between Christianity and Buddhism. Though I know I'm not disciplined enough to fully embrace either walk wholeheartedly, I think there are lovely lessons and snippets to embrace from both.

And I believe simply, that the easiest belief system for me is to embrace love. I believe God is found in love and that there isn't really a "correct" path to finding God.

idav

Being
Premium Member

Yes christians should ge along well with buddhists as the buddha and jesus had very similar ways of looking at the world. Buddha and Jesus were pacifists and talked of not judging and being compassionate, loving and giving. They also advocated not being hung down by ones material posessions. There is a lot of good stuff with their teachings and they were indeed both very wise beyond their times. I know many atheists can appreciate a lot of the wisdom in their philosophies.

Buddha-Christ.info: Jesus and Buddha: Numerous Similarities

Tom Stine » Blog Archive » Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Yes christians should ge along well with buddhists as the buddha and jesus had very similar ways of looking at the world. Buddha and Jesus were pacifists and talked of not judging and being compassionate, loving and giving. They also advocated not being hung down by ones material posessions. There is a lot of good stuff with their teachings and they were indeed both very wise beyond their times. I know many atheists can appreciate a lot of the wisdom in their philosophies.

Buddha-Christ.info: Jesus and Buddha: Numerous Similarities

Tom Stine » Blog Archive » Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings
To be fair, if you eliminate everything but Jesus's sayings from the Bible, it's almost decent philosophy.

Also, if you take most religions and boil them down to their similarities, you're probably going to find something you like, but the details are the whole entire point.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

All in all, a solid ace.

What he said^