• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Wrong With Not Liking Homosexuality??

turk179

I smell something....
Good question. A few more to add to it:
Why do homosexuals have greater protection in law? (Through hate crimes)
Because they were or are in more danger of being discriminated against
Why are we forced to accept homosexuality? (anti-discrimination laws)
You are not. You are only forced to not discriminate against anyone.
Why are they given tax breaks? (And, more importantly, why don't other sexual deviants?)
Homosexual does not equal sexual deviant. And if homosexuals are given tax breaks, where do I sign up?!?
The majority of people in the united states have a fetish for acceptance of everyone. What if my religious views tell me not to be tolerant? All the sudden I'm suppose to live by *your* rules? Yes, as a matter of fact that's what is happening.
This is why tolerance kills freedom.
You don't have to tolerate anyone and it doesn't matter what your religion tells you to do. You will not discriminate and those are the rules. Now if this rule kills "your" freedom then you might want to concider moving to a middle eastern country.

I despise homosexuality. It is immoral and disgusting. However, I wouldn't make it illegal. I wouldn't give myself advantages over homosexuals. I wouldn't have the law punish any sexual deviancy. That is *not* the governments job.
We have basic human rights that should *always* be protected by our government. These rights are: the right to live, the right to own property, and the right to speak freely. No matter our religion, gender, age, personality, physical characteristics, race, color, or sexual preference, these rights should be protected by the government.
Our government should be a catylist for the communication and development of morality.
Instead, our government has become a catylist for ambiguity and indifference.

I am *not* tolerant of homosexuality. I do *not* like it. Homosexuality is immoral.
I despise the viewpoints that you have expressed. I think they are immoral and disgusting. Now your last bit actually makes some sense but I must ask. Whose morality are we going to base these ideas on?

happ

Catholic/Evagelical
I'm not saying they don't exist. Even if I tried to think they didn't I would have constant reminders that they are. But anyway, a "natural part of human life?" surely you jest.

What if that little child in your arms is gay? Are you going to view her as unnatural and ban her from your love? I think you need to give a lot more thought to your hatred before you poison your little girl with un-Catholic bigotry.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
What's wrong with not liking homosexuality?
You know, the longer I contemplate this question the less sense it seems to make to me. I mean, what are you actually asking here?

Here are some thoughts I've had while mulling over this increasingly nonsensicle question;

1. Would I like to be in a homosexual relationship?
As a heterosexual man I would have to say no, so it's a good thing I have the option not to isn't it?
I have to make a confession, I don't like mushrooms - I know I know, I'm a bigot but it's just the way I feel. I simply cannot stand the idea of having an intimate physical relationship with a mushroom (I can't think of much more intimately physical than eating something, can you?) Luckily for me I can choose not to eat mushrooms. Now, on occasion I will inadvertently buy a product containing mushroom, or someone might serve me a dish containing mushroom and in such cases I am physically revolted - now here's the big difference between mushrooms and homosexuality, you can't get an accidental serving of homosexuality.
Therefore, I have nothing to worry about concerning the physical acts associated with homosexuality, I have chosen not to participate in them. Still, I think everyone will agree with me that there is nothing wrong with a heterosexual man disliking the idea of being personally involved in a homosexual act?
Is this what you are asking penguino?

2. Do I have a problem with other people being involved in homosexual acts?
Frankly, I dislike any public display of sexual affection, whether it be hetero or homosexual in nature. The only logical(?) reason I can think of for someone to dislike public homosexual displays more than heterosexual displays is that in seeing, say, one man kissing another man, they imagine themselves doing the same thing which as a heterosexual they would not wish to do (also keep in mind that many hetero men find two women kissing arousing and this concept seems all the more plausible). In which case it's more of a problem of an overactive imagination than anything the homosexual couple may be doing.
Personally, I don't like to imagine any of the antics couples get up to in the privacy of their own homes, I just prefer not to think about it and thus it makes no difference to me whether the couple is same-sex or male-female. It's not me, it's not my partner, it's not my concern.
If a person does have a problem with what other people get up to in the privacy of their own homes then it's more a case of that person having control issues, the manifestations of which would have far broader effects than simply an unhealthy interest in other peoples sex lives.

3. Do I have a problem with overtly "camp" people or people who make their sexual persuasion obvious, sometimes aggressively so?
I think this is more to do with a more general reaction people have to others, and I guess it boils down to each individuals life experiences and the prejudices they have accumulated.
I really dislike very self-confident people, I assume this is because such people are also normally arrogant and have superiority complexes, but I also recognise that it's also linked to my own nature as a shy, reserved person. People often have an instinctual negative reaction towards those who are different to themselves. Personally I don't have a problem with camp men, or butch women (probably not politically correct, but in this case monkey say what monkey see) their behaviour simply has no effect on me so I just see the person for who they are. I can't do this with self-confident people, my prejudice bars me from getting to know them as people. Obviously this is my problem, something in my life has produced this, what can only be described as, mental problem - the issue being entirely in my own head.
Thus, if the question in the OP is asking whether you dislike homosexuality because of how some homosexual people behave/express themselves, then it's more about a problem with the social interaction aspect of a person's own mental state then the sexual behaviour of an individual entirely separate to oneself.

So, really, before anyone can actually answer this question in a useful manner penguino, what we need is a more specific wording of the question so as to actually comprehend what you are asking.
"Is there anything wrong with not liking homosexuality?" is just too vague because you're not actually defining anything specific to be disliked, rather a broad term for many individual aspects which people could have very different opinions on, as I tried to outline above.
In other words, you need to place homosexuality into a context before any question concerning it's relation to someone else's opinion can actually be answered in a sensible way.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Originally Posted by rheff78
Oh, so sitcoms and movies are now to blame? You're serious? Look at Brokeback Mountain or taht one sticom with Debra Messing. They were made JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY. Others movies are not made to "flaunt" their straightness. Any gay movie or sitcom is there for one reason, to force down people's throats it's ok to be gay.
So ... you're not hoping to force down people's throats that it's not ok to be gay? Isn't that just as bad, especially in a place where we're guaranteed the inherent God given right to liberty and to pursue happiness?

I guess movies like "Ghost," "Pretty Woman," "Sleepless in Seattle," etc., etc., ad nauseum don't flaunt heterosexuality?

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Hmmmm, here I go again I guess. I will say it again. I don't hate gay people, IMHO I think a practicing homosexual is wrong. I don't like anyone, gay or straight trying to force their lifestyle and their views on the world down my throat. If gay people take this as offensive, I apolgize, I really do. These are my beliefs. I'm not trying to turn anyone, I'm just giving my opinion. And, BTW Happ, are we judging? Maybe you need to do a little more research and see what the church says about it. It's not a sin to be gay, it is a sin to practice homosexuality. If that little girl in my wife's arms is gay, then we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Will that decrease my love of her, absolutely not. Don't judge me and assume you know better than me.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
That's your gripe--a parade and a flag? I agree--parades and flags are so annoying. I hate that.

image_200275_1.jpg

No one should be allowed to shove their lifestyle down my throat with parades and flags! It's so offensive!

Union_County_St%5B1%5D._Patrick_s_Day_Parade.jpg

And what's wose is when they involve little children!

a5e0de46-7c44-46ac-998f-7d46024ce42a.jpg

Because flags are just--well, they're just forcing someone else's views on me, whether I like them or not!

flag.jpg

And I don't have the ability to just stay home and avoid a parade I don't like.

gay_pride_balloons.jpg

I mean, after all, no one else feels the need to wave flags or parade around--why should gay people?

And I find it amusing you are comparing the St. Patrick's day parade with a gay pride parade. If you look at what the parade is celebrating, the re-birth of a country that was riddled with disease and famime. The celebration of a pagan nation becoming a christian nation (I know not all you agree with that, but to the Irish it's important). I beleive that Irish have been through enough for a lot longer time to have a parade for themselves. Would you be upset if the Jews decided to have a parade as well? How about taking away black history month? Or maybe the homosexual struggle is a little bit more important than what anyone else went through?

Smoke

Done here.
And I find it amusing you are comparing the St. Patrick's day parade with a gay pride parade. If you look at what the parade is celebrating, the re-birth of a country that was riddled with disease and famime. The celebration of a pagan nation becoming a christian nation (I know not all you agree with that, but to the Irish it's important). I beleive that Irish have been through enough for a lot longer time to have a parade for themselves. Would you be upset if the Jews decided to have a parade as well? How about taking away black history month? Or maybe the homosexual struggle is a little bit more important than what anyone else went through?
You missed the point yet again.

Smoke

Done here.
I don't like anyone, gay or straight trying to force their lifestyle and their views on the world down my throat.
Me either, so please remove the picture of your wife from your avatar. I'm sick of your flaunting your sexuality and trying to force your lifestyle down my throat.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Me either, so please remove the picture of your wife from your avatar. I'm sick of your flaunting your sexuality and trying to force your lifestyle down my throat.

Oh, so gay people don't have significant others? Is that what I'm hearing? Showing a picture of a loved one is hardly forcing anything down anyone's throat, I thought we all had people we loved. Maybe I was wrong.

Smoke

Done here.
Oh, so gay people don't have significant others? Is that what I'm hearing? Showing a picture of a loved one is hardly forcing anything down anyone's throat, I thought we all had people we loved. Maybe I was wrong.
But saying publicly that you're gay is forcing something down someone's throat? Saying you ought to have the same rights as other citizens is forcing something down someone's throat?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
rheff78 said:
Would you be upset if the Jews decided to have a parade as well? How about taking away black history month? Or maybe the homosexual struggle is a little bit more important than what anyone else went through?
Once again, you missed the point: Gay people don't want to shut down parades....They want to stop people from shutting down theirs.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

The Jews do have a parade... at least in Toronto. "Walk With Israel" is scheduled for May 25 this year.

There's also a St. Patrick's Day parade, a Khalsa Day parade, a Santa Claus parade, an Easter parade, two Greek Parades, a Labour Day parade, a Remembrance Day parade, a parade every time a local professional sports team wins a championship, many other parades that I'm forgetting, and street festivals for everything from the environment to Italian food and from "love of reading" to South Asian culture.

Considering all the other things that people are happy to shut the streets down for, I don't think having a Gay Pride parade is really out of line.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
The Jews do have a parade... at least in Toronto. "Walk With Israel" is scheduled for May 25 this year.

There's also a St. Patrick's Day parade, a Khalsa Day parade, a Santa Claus parade, an Easter parade, two Greek Parades, a Labour Day parade, a Remembrance Day parade, a parade every time a local professional sports team wins a championship, many other parades that I'm forgetting, and street festivals for everything from the environment to Italian food and from "love of reading" to South Asian culture.

Considering all the other things that people are happy to shut the streets down for, I don't think having a Gay Pride parade is really out of line.

You're certainly entitled to that opinion. For the record, I really don't have problem with them having a parade, my contention was that straight people don't have a parade to "flaunt" their hetero-ness. My point here is it's not needed. We know you're gay, good for you, but you don't need a big huge spectacle telling everyone, "Hey, we're here, look at us, we should be treated fairly, we're proud". That's the kind of thing that upsets most people. Why make a big spectecle of yourself? Be who you are.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
If I believed as a woman there was nothing wrong with premarital sex and I personally was proud of that and considered it my right .I could organize a large group of women who felt the same way and have a public parade letting the world know Im into sex without the need for marriage and thats how I am and thats how a lot of us are....We can sleep with whoever we want ....and we are heterosexual....

That would be the eqivelant..Homesexuality is a sexual preference..Im not saying to hide it..But I personally wouldnt feel the need to have a public demonstration and yelling as loud as I could I prefer sex outside of marriage...

I mean its none of my business if thats what people want to do..I just personally dont think people really give a hoot what my sexual preference is..

I mean we get into discussions here and stuff and share some of that about ourselves .I just dont get marching down the street yelling it out to whoever is within earshot.

But to each his own...

Blessings

Dallas

Nanda

Polyanna
The reason that there is a need for gay pride is that there is still an overabundance of gay shame. Until gay people are completely accepted, and not made to feel ashamed for being gay, gay pride is necessary.

Smoke

Done here.
You're certainly entitled to that opinion. For the record, I really don't have problem with them having a parade, my contention was that straight people don't have a parade to "flaunt" their hetero-ness. My point here is it's not needed. We know you're gay, good for you, but you don't need a big huge spectacle telling everyone, "Hey, we're here, look at us, we should be treated fairly, we're proud". That's the kind of thing that upsets most people. Why make a big spectecle of yourself? Be who you are.
We are who we are. That's what really ****** you off.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
And P.S...I dont think there is a comparison to beign proud of your significant other and showing a picture..Here is my partner and this is my family...

The picture on Rheffs avatar is a picture of his family...We can "assume" he is heterosexual..He is not yelling out IM STRAIGHT ...IM GREAT BECAUSE IM STRAIGHT.....I LIKE HAVING SEX WITH WOMEN!

Talking about your family is not the same as yelling out a sexual preference...

This conversation is beign carried to extremes..based on what Im hearing a pregnant women should not go in public becasue they might assume shes flaunitng her hetersexuality..(most would assume she had sex with a man)...

Being in public and holding your loved ones hand..our sharing a little kiss..or carrying pictures in your wallett isnt exaclty a parade ...

Blessings

Dallas

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
You know what's funny, is that gay people get so upset when someone disagrees with their lifestyle, not necessarily the person. It is possible to like a person and not like their lifestyle. I would suspect there would be a huge back lash if hetero's held a parade in their own honor.