• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's the difference between a cult and a religion?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
A cult, as I understand it, is a group/community of people who share the same religious beliefs, ideals and practices. So you might follow the religion of Christianity, but as soon as you become a member of a particular church or denomination you become part of a cult. So most religious people are cult members, but not all.

People use the term in different ways, however. We often refer to a religion as a cult under the following circumstance:

"a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader." (dictionary.com, definition #6)

(ie/ small and exclusive)

However, that is not the original meaning.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
what do you mean by "you"
in general or a person's personal point of view?
I wasn't referring to you specifically. I was speaking in general terms. When a person labels someone else's religion as a "cult," it's generally a very subjective assessment.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I wasn't referring to you specifically. I was speaking in general terms. When a person labels someone else's religion as a "cult," it's generally a very subjective assessment.

i know you didn't mean me :D

so it's subjective...

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Usually, a cult is small group, with a charismatic leader, who is seen to be far from the mainstream. The Branch Davidians, the Peoples Temple, the Church of Bible Understanding are cults.

Cults can be religious, but they don't have to be.

BruceDLimber

The definition I use is that a cult is any religion that still has a living founder.

Please note that I thus don't use it as a disparagement, simply as a definition or clarification.

Regards,

Bruce

logician

Usually, a cult is small group, with a charismatic leader, who is seen to be far from the mainstream. The Branch Davidians, the Peoples Temple, the Church of Bible Understanding are cults.

Cults can be religious, but they don't have to be.

So political groups can be cults?:D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
does anyone know?
is it time and acceptance?

Those and size, too. If Christianity right now only had 1000 members, it would be a cult.
Cult as some bizarre group is really an extremist view of the meaning of the word "cult". At least I learned that in my Philosophy class. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
does anyone know?
If I had to come up with a defintion, I'd say that I personally consider a cult to be a religious group that keeps itself separate from society (though not necessarily physically) and is harmful for its members.

I know that other people use the term differently, and that it's been used in different ways in the past. For instance, before I got married (in a Catholic church), because I'm unbaptized, we had to file a "petition for difference of cult" with the local diocese... apparently, the Catholic Church considers itself to meet some definition of the word. :)

waitasec

Veteran Member
:D thanx for your input ya'll

just wondering if the word cult has a negative connotation for some here and why that would be?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
does anyone know?

I've pondered this, & based upon usage I see in the media, it is this:
Cult: It's a derogatory term for a smaller (& usually newer) religion with a revered leader, but no significant real estate holdings.
Religion: It's an established faith with churches, temples or other brick & mortar places of worship & bureaucracy.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Those and size, too. If Christianity right now only had 1000 members, it would be a cult.
Cult as some bizarre group is really an extremist view of the meaning of the word "cult". At least I learned that in my Philosophy class. :)

so in this case the majority rules

waitasec

Veteran Member
I've pondered this, & based upon usage I see in the media, it is this:
Cult: It's a derogatory term for a smaller (& usually newer) religion with a revered leader, but no significant real estate holdings.
Religion: It's an established faith with churches, temples or other brick & mortar places of worship & bureaucracy.

so the difference is $$ basically,
i agree...
time + majority = acceptance
acceptance = $$
$$ = religion