• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's For Dinner?

Daemon Sophic

Tonight, my son and I went out to a local vegan restaurant and I got a Buffalo Chik'n wrap, and he got a "Compost Plate", which is a variant on the local 'Garbage Plate' (minus the meat). So there were burgers, mac salad, "meat" sauce, fresh bread.

Tomorrow, my wife and daughter will be back, and I'm making Falafel, Tabbouleh, and Greek potatoes. :yum:
I think I'll make pizzas on Monday night.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am thinking of making spaghetti carbonara. Using what may have been the original recipe. Please note this iconic dish of Italy can only accurately trace its roots to the late 1940's. At that time there were a lot of US service members in Italy and they were often able to "liberate" bacon and eggs from their kitchens. Post war things were tough in Italy and restaurants were probably more than happy to cook a dish if the food was supplied for them. So though Italians will turn up their noses at the concept of US bacon in carbonara today that may have been the way it was started. When things got back to normal for them the probably used Italian pancetta and then found that guanciale made an even better carbonara. But until I get my technique down pat I will cheat and use cheaper, though possibly original, ingredients.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Salad: white beans, red onion, red bell pepper, tomatoes, julienned marinated carrots, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and cold cooked rainbow trout (instead of tuna.)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I am thinking of making spaghetti carbonara. Using what may have been the original recipe. Please note this iconic dish of Italy can only accurately trace its roots to the late 1940's. At that time there were a lot of US service members in Italy and they were often able to "liberate" bacon and eggs from their kitchens. Post war things were tough in Italy and restaurants were probably more than happy to cook a dish if the food was supplied for them. So though Italians will turn up their noses at the concept of US bacon in carbonara today that may have been the way it was started. When things got back to normal for them the probably used Italian pancetta and then found that guanciale made an even better carbonara. But until I get my technique down pat I will cheat and use cheaper, though possibly original, ingredients.
It's tough to mess up spaghetti carbonara. (You can mess it up by adding cream, however.)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Lunch really but not had a dinner...

Blanquette de Limoux on cassis.
Bruschetta with very thin slivers of local ham and tomato, duck and pork sausages, radishes and a tuna dip
White asparagus scrambled egg.
Salmon, mushroom and spinach pie (edit. I forgot the tarragon tartar sauce)
Various local cheeses, lettuce, and crusty bread.
Strawberry soup.
Coffee.

Wine, Sauternes

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It's tough to mess up spaghetti carbonara. (You can mess it up by adding cream, however.)

Dang!! I knew that I forgot an ingredient.

I think cream came from Italian restaurants that needed a cheat to be able to make it ahead and then serve it. Mine was plenty creamy without it.
My personal favourite along this line is cacio e pepe. Too many people add cream or butter to achieve the creamy sauce, but that's wrong! All it needs is pasta (I like bucatini) toasted black pepper, crushed roughly, and cheese (mix of parm reggiano and pecorino romano, very finely grated - use a microplane).

You cook the pasta 2 minutes less than your package says. in less water than usual, and with less salt (pecorino is very salty). Then in a large pan, toast the crushed peppercorns (I use tellicherry), add a small ladle (1/2 cup or so) of the pasta cooking water and pasta, turn down the heat to very low and when the temperature is about 180 (82 C), add finely grated cheeses. By tossing the pasta and cheese with tongs for 2 minutes (to complete the pasta cooking time), this creates the sauce. If the temp is above 180 the cheese will go stringy instead of creamy. If it's looking a little dry, just add a bit more pasta water.

Serve immediately on hot plates (shallow bowls are better).

It's fantastic, but if you do it right, it's actually pretty easy to make.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My mother's day meal was an orange cream shake and jalapeno poppers from Arby's.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Merlu (hake), boiled new potatoes, peas and tartar sauce
Home made raisin sponge cake.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I made the mistake of cooking last night, and made chili.

The one who requested it bellyached because there was vegetables in it.

I won't be taking any more requests. Cook it yourself.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Apparently, he wanted just beans, tomatoes and vegetarian meat replacement?

I've always put vegetables in the chili(depending on what we have in the fridge).

I have been known to put mushrooms, bell pepper, onions, carrots, garlic, celery and bacon in chilli, (not all at the same time). It all adds to the flavour.

You're right make your own next time.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I have been known to put mushrooms, bell pepper, onions, carrots, garlic, celery and bacon in chilli, (not all at the same time). It all adds to the flavour.

You're right make your own next time.
I put in garlic, mushrooms(which needed to be used), and spinach(which was ready and available). Damn me.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I made the mistake of cooking last night, and made chili.

The one who requested it bellyached because there was vegetables in it.

I won't be taking any more requests. Cook it yourself.
Next time he makes a request, just toss him a can of this...

816HBaCZUiL.jpg