• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I'm going to set up 2 hypothetical situations and I would like to know
1) What would you do in the situation
2) How would you feel in each situation

1st situation: You are wandering on a ship at night (We'll call it a ferry) and there appears to be almost nobody around. Then a man appears and pulls a knife on you.

2nd situation You are wandering on the same ship but you come across a body. The person has had their throat slit and they are clearly dead. Soon after the murderer appears and again pulls a knife on you.

I'm interested in hearing the responses ^-^

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

1st situation: You are wandering on a ship at night (We'll call it a ferry) and there appears to be almost nobody around. Then a man appears and pulls a knife on you.

2nd situation You are wandering on the same ship but you come across a body. The person has had their throat slit and they are clearly dead. Soon after the murderer appears and again pulls a knife on you.

Attempt to disarm and passify him.
I'd only kill him if I felt I had no other choice.
I'm not in favour of using voilence, but I will if I have to.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
In a kill or be killed situation, I prefer to do the killing. (It's never gone that far.)

darkstar

I'm guessing the purpose of this is to determine if one would treat a murderer differently than a simple mugger. I would have to say I would not.
If someone actually attacks me with a weapon, they are trying to kill me and I react accordingly. I'm no more, or less, likely to kill someone based on what they have done. I'm more concerned about surviving in a situation like that.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
You all seem to have answered the 'what would you do' question but would your emotional state be different in both situations? and if so would that change how you act?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You all seem to have answered the 'what would you do' question but would your emotional state be different in both situations? and if so would that change how you act?
Sorry, missed that. Fight or flight conquers all. In my case and imx, it's fight all the way. I HAVE run away, but it's not my instinct.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I would present my handgun in both cases. Firing would depend upon his distance from me & his apparent intent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd consider what other weapons are at hand vs fleeing.
Dang! This is why I avoid travel by plane or thru states without reciprocity for my CCW licencse.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well both your examples include one hell of a surprise, so i'm sure i would panic. Not as in freeze, but certainly afraid, if not for my life being at risk it will be from the terrible shock of seeing someone in an empty ship running at me with a knife.

The one thing i won't be intending to do is get murdered because some maniac felt like it. I'll kill him/her without feeling sorry for a moment, if i had to. Regarding the difference between the case where i know he is a murderer and the other where i don't, it will make a difference.

The difference being that in the case of the murderer, the decision to kill him will be easier and probably faster, not only because its more likely for him to kill me, but also because i won't feel i've taken a life unfairly.

HonestJoe

I think in either situation I'd go for the "tactical retreat" to seek assistance. I think the only reason for confonting him alone would be if there was someone else in immediate danger (e.g. someone injured he was attempting to kill).

As a side point from the second example, a body apparently killed with a knife plus someone standing next to them holding a knife doesn't autoamtically make that person the murderer.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

Sorry. Must have missed that one. ^_^
Having worked as a bouncer for several years I've had people pull a knife on me in real life, and I find that I usually respond with cold calculation in those kinds of situations.
I usually don't feel much until after the situation has been resolved one way or the other.

I suspect that would be the case here too.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

Situation 1:

1. Since he hasn't hurt anyone yet (to my knowledge)I would try to talk him down. Pulling a knife, while startling, isn't necessarily an attack on me. If he didn't calm down and tried to attack me then I would engage him with whatever resources I had.

2. I would feel compassionate. I used to work in law enforcement, so someone pulling a knife on me isn't all that new. Generally, people won't actually use it. So I would approach it with that in mind. He's probably just as scared as I am, and he's probably emotionally charged. Unless he's mentally unstable, he can probably be talked down. There's probably something bothering him that I could try to help him with.

Situation 2:

1. I would engage him immediately in attempt to disarm him (or stop him). The situation changes if he's already hurt someone. If he's scared or feeling guilty or just sociopathic, chances are that he will attack to preserve himself, given that he's already hurt someone.

2. I would probably feel more anxious because I get extremely sympathetic when it comes to murder. At the same time, I would at least try to get his side of the story. It would definitely be the least preferred of the two situations.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
In both cases, I'd do my best to defend myself.

And in both cases, I'd feel glad that I have a better than average chance at doing so. NC is a concealed-carry state.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I would defend myself both times and hopefully win.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Take the person down, possibly kill them, in both situations.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

In both situations I would attempt to knock him off balance and then unconscious by kicks to the head.