• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What we mean by "there is no evidence for theism"

AlexanderG

At its core, this topic boils down what is meant by "evidence."

I define evidence as "Anything that lets us reliably differentiate between ideas that are merely imaginary, and ideas that accurately describe reality."

So, if you propose some method, framework, or argument as evidence, but that same framework can equally support a contradictory conclusion by replacing some nouns in your argument, then this wouldn't count as evidence. For example, you can propose an eternal necessary god as the ultimate foundation of reality, but I can propose with no more or less evidence an eternal necessary aspect of nature instead, with brute-fact mindless properties that cause it to create the world exactly as we see it.

The best framework for creating reliable evidence that humans have identified is the scientific method. In particular, novel testable predictions that are tested and confirmed. If you think a different method also works, just demonstrate that and it will become part of science.

The scientific method outputs evidence that can support one predictive model while excluding that model's explanatory competitors. A "model" is a conceptual framework about how some aspect of reality works. Evidence is provided when a new prediction made by a model, that no one has tested before, is subsequently tested and confirmed to be accurate. A supported model is more likely to be objectively true than the unsupported models, but note that there is no "proof" or "truth" or metaphysical certainty. It simply has demonstrated that it reflects a deeper understanding of some part of reality.

In science, a very very supported model, which has made many new and accurate predictions, becomes a "theory." While every model is imperfect and has explanatory boundaries, the fact that they can predict things we don't know yet about reality is the hallmark of science and the method guiding its discoveries about the facts of reality. This is why we have airplanes, computers, and medicine today.

So far, theism as a model, as a conceptual framework about reality, has no evidence to support its accurate correspondence to reality. It also has no supporting evidence produced by the scientific method, and so it can't be meaningfully distinguished from the infinite array of other false imaginary models that don't accurately describe or correspond to reality. It could still be true, just like any of the other imaginary models have a tiny chance to be true, but that is a useless possibility because it is functionally zero. Theism in general isn't even a predictive model, just a post hoc sufficient explanation of the things we already knew; its various forms don't typically rise to the level of a testable hypothesis.

From everything I've ever seen, forms of evidence that theists propose are unreliable and/or fallacious. A fallacy is a way of reasoning, identified by logicians, that reliably leads to false conclusions. Another way to say this is that the arguments are not valid in logical structure, or the premises are not sound because they cannot be demonstrated. Here are some common argument forms proposed as evidence by theists, which are in fact not evidence:

1. "I believe that the book is true because the book says it contains perfect truth, and says it cannot be wrong." This is circular reasoning, a fallacy. It is not evidence because any other contradictory book making similar claims is equally supported.

2. "I define morality as coming from a god. We have morality. Therefore god exists," or "I define god as existing necessarily, therefore god exists." Definitions are not evidence. They describe our thoughts about abstract ideas in our heads. This is imagination. Nothing tethers it to the actual facts of reality.

3. "We don't have an explanation for X. I can imagine a thing G that, if it existed, would sufficiently explain X. Therefore this is evidence for G." This is not evidence, but a fallacy called the Argument from Ignorance. For any phenomenon, there are an infinite number of explanations we could propose that would sufficiently explain the phenomenon. The proposal by itself, of any one of these infinite explanations, is not evidence.

4. "I just can't imagine how life could arise without a guiding intelligence. A supernatural creator feels like the most probable explanation." This is an Argument from Incredulity, a fallacy. Your failure of imagination is not evidence, nor is your imagination evidence for reality. If you have an idea for an explanation, you need to show that it corresponds to reality with specific supporting evidence.

5. "I intuitively feel that god exists," or "I don't know how I would get out bed each morning if I didn't believe in god," or "I'm afraid of dying and god gives me hope for eternal life." Emotional appeal is not evidence that something is true. Subjective feelings are not evidence. Different people have wildly different and often contradictory emotional needs, intuitions, and hopes, depending on their culture and personality.

6. "Look at how influential religion X has been throughout history," or "look at how many people believe religion X." This is called a bandwagon fallacy. Different popular beliefs hold sway at different times, many of which are contradictory or have been proven factually wrong.

7. "I had an emotional experience at summer camp that one year, that I can't explain, and I know it was god filling me with love." Again, this is an argument from ignorance. Religious indoctrination primes people to interpret emotional feelings a certain way, but this is not evidence because nothing specifically supports this explanation over any other.

8. "We prayed and someone's cancer disappeared" or "I converted and my drug addiction went away." Anecdotes are not evidence. The plural of anecdote is not data. There is a known rate of spontaneous remission for cancer, which occurs regardless of praying or not praying, or the religion of the patient. It occurs at similar rates in animals that have cancer. Likewise, people overcome drug addition through hobbies, marriage, divorce, and many other routes. There is no data that shows religiosity affects these ailments at a higher rather than anything else.

9. "I found a published paper that says light cures cancer, or consciousness is immaterial, or the earth is flat." Every group of experts includes a fringe minority with ideas that are not accepted by the majority consensus of experts in their field. A fringe view is not evidence. Publication of a finding does not make it evidence by itself; rather, the ability of the published finding to persuade the majority consensus of experts in the field is what transforms this finding into scientific evidence. This distinction, and this appeal to the scientific consensus, is often falsely labeled as a fallacious appeal to authority. However, this is only a fallacy when the proposed authority is not an actual authority (e.g. 90% of dentists agree that the Vikings are the best football team).

10. "I just have faith." Any idea can be believed on faith, therefore faith is not a reliable tool to distinguish false ideas from true ideas. Faith in the face of good evidence to the contrary is irrational.

Ok, that's enough for now! Sorry for the long post, but I hope this can be helpful for people. There are a lot of common arguments I didn't include, but they are also fallacious, unreliable methods for distinguishing imagination from reality.

Last edited:

AlexanderG

Oh, and please note that I'm not a logical positivist, empiricist, philosophical naturalist, or a proponent of scientism. I'm open to any reliable forms of evidence, and open to being persuaded by any claim if it is supported by good evidence. I also realize that certain forms of conceptual knowledge like semantic definitions, math, and logic, don't require empirical evidence. I don't make any ontological claims about anything. This whole topic is about what counts as evidence, which is epistemology and not ontology.

Audie

Veteran Member

I define evidence as "Anything that lets us reliably differentiate between ideas that are merely imaginary, and ideas that accurately describe reality."

So, if you propose some method, framework, or argument as evidence, but that same framework can equally support a contradictory conclusion by replacing some nouns in your argument, then this wouldn't count as evidence. For example, you can propose an eternal necessary god as the ultimate foundation of reality, but I can propose with no more or less evidence an eternal necessary aspect of nature instead, with brute-fact mindless properties that cause it to create the world exactly as we see it.

The best framework for creating reliable evidence that humans have identified is the scientific method. In particular, novel testable predictions that are tested and confirmed. If you think a different method also works, just demonstrate that and it will become part of science.

The scientific method outputs evidence that can support one predictive model while excluding that model's explanatory competitors. A "model" is a conceptual framework about how some aspect of reality works. Evidence is provided when a new prediction made by a model, that no one has tested before, is subsequently tested and confirmed to be accurate. A supported model is more likely to be objectively true than the unsupported models, but note that there is no "proof" or "truth" or metaphysical certainty. It simply has demonstrated that it reflects a deeper understanding of some part of reality.

In science, a very very supported model, which has made many new and accurate predictions, becomes a "theory." While every model is imperfect and has explanatory boundaries, the fact that they can predict things we don't know yet about reality is the hallmark of science and the method guiding its discoveries about the facts of reality. This is why we have airplanes, computers, and medicine today.

So far, theism as a model, as a conceptual framework about reality, has no evidence to support its accurate correspondence to reality. It also has no supporting evidence produced by the scientific method, and so it can't be meaningfully distinguished from the infinite array of other false imaginary models that don't accurately describe or correspond to reality. It could still be true, just like any of the other imaginary models have a tiny chance to be true, but that is a useless possibility because it is functionally zero. Theism in general isn't even a predictive model, just a post hoc sufficient explanation of the things we already knew; its various forms don't typically rise to the level of a testable hypothesis.

From everything I've ever seen, forms of evidence that theists propose are unreliable and/or fallacious. A fallacy is a way of reasoning, identified by logicians, that reliably leads to false conclusions. Another way to say this is that the arguments are not valid in logical structure, or the premises are not sound because they cannot be demonstrated. Here are some common argument forms proposed as evidence by theists, which are in fact not evidence:

1. "I believe that the book is true because the book says it contains perfect truth, and says it cannot be wrong." This is circular reasoning, a fallacy. It is not evidence because any other contradictory book making similar claims is equally supported.

2. "I define morality as coming from a god. We have morality. Therefore god exists," or "I define god as existing necessarily, therefore god exists." Definitions are not evidence. They describe our thoughts about abstract ideas in our heads. This is imagination. Nothing tethers it to the actual facts of reality.

3. "We don't have an explanation for X. I can imagine a thing G that, if it existed, would sufficiently explain X. Therefore this is evidence for G." This is not evidence, but a fallacy called the Argument from Ignorance. For any phenomenon, there are an infinite number of explanations we could propose that would sufficiently explain the phenomenon. The proposal by itself, of any one of these infinite explanations, is not evidence.

4. "I just can't imagine how life could arise without a guiding intelligence. A supernatural creator feels like the most probable explanation." This is an Argument from Incredulity, a fallacy. Your failure of imagination is not evidence, nor is your imagination evidence for reality. If you have an idea for an explanation, you need to show that it corresponds to reality with specific supporting evidence.

5. "I intuitively feel that god exists," or "I don't know how I would get out bed each morning if I didn't believe in god," or "I'm afraid of dying and god gives me hope for eternal life." Emotional appeal is not evidence that something is true. Subjective feelings are not evidence. Different people have wildly different and often contradictory emotional needs, intuitions, and hopes, depending on their culture and personality.

6. "Look at how influential religion X has been throughout history," or "look at how many people believe religion X." This is called a bandwagon fallacy. Different popular beliefs hold sway at different times, many of which are contradictory or have been proven factually wrong.

7. "I had an emotional experience at summer camp that one year, that I can't explain, and I know it was god filling me with love." Again, this is an argument from ignorance. Religious indoctrination primes people to interpret emotional feelings a certain way, but this is not evidence because nothing specifically supports this explanation over any other.

8. "We prayed and someone's cancer disappeared" or "I converted and my drug addiction went away." Anecdotes are not evidence. The plural of anecdote is not data. There is a known rate of spontaneous remission for cancer, which occurs regardless of praying or not praying, or the religion of the patient. It occurs at similar rates in animals that have cancer. Likewise, people overcome drug addition through hobbies, marriage, divorce, and many other routes. There is no data that shows religiosity affects these ailments at a higher rather than anything else.

9. "I found a published paper that says light cures cancer, or consciousness is immaterial, or the earth is flat." Every group of experts includes a fringe minority with ideas that are not accepted by the majority consensus of experts in their field. A fringe view is not evidence. Publication of a finding does not make it evidence by itself; rather, the ability of the published finding to persuade the majority consensus of experts in the field is what transforms this finding into scientific evidence. This distinction, and this appeal to the scientific consensus, is often falsely labeled as a fallacious appeal to authority. However, this is only a fallacy when the proposed authority is not an actual authority (e.g. 90% of dentists agree that the Vikings are the best football team).

10. "I just have faith." Any idea can be believed on faith, therefore faith is not a reliable tool to distinguish false ideas from true ideas. Faith in the face of good evidence to the contrary is irrational.

Ok, that's enough for now! Sorry for the long post, but I hope this can be helpful for people. There are a lot of common arguments I didn't include, but they are also fallacious, unreliable methods for distinguishing imagination from reality.
Way too wordy

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think it is illogical and unscientific to create your own parameters that you then want to show how wrong your parameters are.

If you look at creation, one person can look at it and say "it is random" and another can look at it and say "It is a creation that dictates there is an author"... who can say which of the two is correct?

joe1776

Science is a great idea in theory. Unfortunately, scientists are human beings with biases. If mainstream scientists have a philosophical bias against the fact in question, denying it would be a simple matter of raising the standard for proof, denying the funding, or more likely a combination of both. Now, if its a matter of getting a drug approved for Big Pharma, that's a different story.

Reactions: DNB

exchemist

Veteran Member

On the contrary, the evidence for theism is all around us. Just look as the number of members of this forum who subscribe to it. Or observe the religious buildings all over the place.

From your lengthy post I assume however you do not mean that evidence of theism is lacking but that evidence of God is lacking - according to the criteria that you deem acceptable.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The OP constrains evidence beyond the statement which by using "ideas" rather than evidence is overly narrow.
"Anything that lets us reliably differentiate between ideas that are merely imaginary, and ideas that accurately describe reality."
And to me you ignore part of science
the scientific method. In particular, novel testable predictions that are tested and confirmed.

Science often works by finding a phenomenon that has no testable predictions at the start. There was, for example, a lot of observations that smoking causes cancer before there was a theory proposed about how that occurs.

So to me science is based on reliable, repeatable experiments that establish something is real. That might come as a result of testing a hypothesis or might be something just observed reliably first followed by developing ideas which explain the observation.

AlexanderG

I think it is illogical and unscientific to create your own parameters that you then want to show how wrong your parameters are.

If you look at creation, one person can look at it and say "it is random" and another can look at it and say "It is a creation that dictates there is an author"... who can say which of the two is correct?

If one person says, "If my idea that the universe was created by an author, then we should look at this part of reality that no one has examined before and see X," and then they look and see X, then this is evidence that supports their conceptual model. Anyone who then comes along and says, "Well, I can explain that we found X because of my other model," is only post hoc rationalizing, which is all theism does. Which is why it doesn't have good evidence.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I think the OP is good. Good luck convincing people who want or need to believe in a God, though. Then there's the question of different definitions of "god"--what exactly are we seeking evidence for? The Abrahamic God? Hindu gods? The panenetheistic "god"? The Force?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As to theism, I agree that the scientific method cannot determine whether or not God exists. We can study the impact of theism vs atheism on behavior and the effect of prayer on the brain to give two examples.

If someone chooses to not believe in God because God is not a scientifically testable hypothesis, it's a choice. But for many that criteria is not relevant. The validation comes through subjective means instead of objective ones.

AlexanderG

The OP constrains evidence beyond the statement which by using "ideas" rather than evidence is overly narrow.

And to me you ignore part of science

Science often works by finding a phenomenon that has no testable predictions at the start. There was, for example, a lot of observations that smoking causes cancer before there was a theory proposed about how that occurs.

So to me science is based on reliable, repeatable experiments that establish something is real. That might come as a result of testing a hypothesis or might be something just observed reliably first followed by developing ideas which explain the observation.

What part of science do I ignore? You can make testable predictions that a phenomenon will occur in the future. You can also make testable predictions that, if a certain explanation for the phenomenon is X, then we will see certain results in the future if we run a certain new test. Both work just fine. Cosmic microwave background radiation is indirect evidence for the big bang, which was predicted before it was observed, and therefore supported the big bang model.

Kenny

Premium Member
If one person says, "If my idea that the universe was created by an author, then we should look at this part of reality that no one has examined before and see X," and then they look and see X, then this is evidence that supports their conceptual model. Anyone who then comes along and says, "Well, I can explain that we found X because of my other model," is only post hoc rationalizing, which is all theism does. Which is why it doesn't have good evidence.

Again... you just created your own construct, to then destroy it without even answering my question.

can you answer my first question before you take it beyond?

Last edited:

AlexanderG

As to theism, I agree that the scientific method cannot determine whether or not God exists. We can study the impact of theism vs atheism on behavior and the effect of prayer on the brain to give two examples.

If someone chooses to not believe in God because God is not a scientifically testable hypothesis, it's a choice. But for many that criteria is not relevant. The validation comes through subjective means instead of objective ones.

Right. I was describing the scientific method as the best way of producing evidence that we humans seem to have. But notice, my definition of what evidence can be is much more broad. I'm saying theism fails even under the broader definition. Also, I don't think we can choose what we're convinced by. We either are or are not convinced, although we can choose what we want to believe is true.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If the evidence is consistent with both views, then to figure it out conclusively, you'd need something more to choose one view over the other.

As a tentative conclusion in the meantime, Occam's Razor applies: if you have a hypothesis consistent with the evidence that doesn't require an "author," then it wouldn't be reasonable to assume an "author" must exist.

AlexanderG

Again... you just created your own construct to then destroy it without even answering my question.

can you answer my first question before you take it beyond?

There was only one question in your post, and I answered it? If you mean the statement in the first sentence, then I didn't really understand its wording.

AlexanderG

On the contrary, the evidence for theism is all around us. Just look as the number of members of this forum who subscribe to it. Or observe the religious buildings all over the place.

From your lengthy post I assume however you do not mean that evidence of theism is lacking but that evidence of God is lacking - according to the criteria that you deem acceptable.

Fair enough. Hopefully people understand that by theism, I mean the claims of theism. And yes, by my criteria for being able to show that something isn't imaginary, theistic claims fail.

Kenny

Premium Member
There was only one question in your post, and I answered it? If you mean the statement in the first sentence, then I didn't really understand its wording.
No... I haven't seen any answers.... what I have seen is a proposition of a possible response to your own construct and then destroying your own answer.

So... what part of this question did you not understand or I wasn't clear enough
"If you look at creation, one person can look at it and say "it is random" and another can look at it and say "It is a creation that dictates there is an author"... who can say which of the two is correct?"

Kenny

Premium Member
If the evidence is consistent with both views, then to figure it out conclusively, you'd need something more to choose one view over the other.

As a tentative conclusion in the meantime, Occam's Razor applies: if you have a hypothesis consistent with the evidence that doesn't require an "author," then it wouldn't be reasonable to assume an "author" must exist.
Great answer... and a correct answer to my question. (Apparently it was understandable)

But what is the hypothesis that explains it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It seems the OP is coming from a dualist concept of theism (God and creation are two) and asking for evidence of something beyond creation.

I come from a non-dualist (God and creation are not-two) perspective so the question of evidence for something outside creation does not apply. I consider Consciousness as the fundamental ground and the material universe to be a play/drama of Consciousness/God/Brahman.

I hold this philosophy as the most reasonable one I've heard all things considered. I don't claim physical evidence to prove my position.