• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was your original reason to become a RF member?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Just because you can not see or understand how others can see or feel a deity does not mean they does not exist ,

This is what is known as a "strawman" as I in no way stated or
implied it. This would be a very very stupid thing for me to say.
It is more than a little insulting for you to claim idiocy of me, or think
I need it explained why it would be wrong. Especially with a whole paragraph.

You just made that up. Why do you keep making things up???

I recognize your limited English ability, but did you read what I said???
I point out that nobody is going to expect you to see things that
they do not believe even exist.

Your claim that atheists do that is a lie. Plain enough?

making fun of their belief just because you can not understand them

Again, a strawman, something you simply made up.
I do NOT DO THAT. I make fun of the stupid things
people say about science, though generally I try to
patiently point out their mistakes. I pointed out some
of yours in the post you are responding to, but did you
take note of any of them? Far from it, you went at it
again making up more falsehoods.

Oh and this...before you know how to see or feel them they can't be seen or felt, but they are still there.

Are they?
Does t his go for pixies,

Technically, this is called "assuming facts not in evidence."
I dont ridicule anyone for this, but I do tend to point out when
they say things as facts when they are only opinions or beliefs.

constant ridiculing of those who have a belief.

Nobody does this. If it were so common, you could
provide an example. You cannot, any more than you
can examples of your other false claims.

Finally this
Or do you do it so you can feel good about your self?

How about a counter question. Does this type of insulting
rhetorical question seem to you as being an example
of the nice nice nice treatment of others you call for?
I trust it is not.
How about making things up, and then criticizing someone
for what you make up?

All your complaints are made up.
You've made no concession at all that you've been
making things up. Far from it, you added more.
From your last post you would understand why i have not responded to your posts or threads for a very long time. Because nothing i say will ever be good enough for you, until i agree with you, Right?

I still stand for what i said, no matter how much you think it is made up. Unfortunately i can not show you what i see, because of some reason you can not see it (the deity and spiritual things) And i don't say it is wrong of you to not see. Many does not see or feel spiritual beings.

Cooky

Veteran Member
From your last post you would understand why i have not responded to your posts or threads for a very long time. Because nothing i say will ever be good enough for you, until i agree with you, Right?

I still stand for what i said, no matter how much you think it is made up. Unfortunately i can not show you what i see, because of some reason you can not see it (the deity and spiritual things) And i don't say it is wrong of you to not see. Many does not see or feel spiritual beings.

There's a simple one-click ignore function that I recommend for posters like that... Some people just aren't worth the headache.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Just because you can not see or understand how others can see or feel a deity does not mean they does not exist ,

This is what is known as a "strawman" as I in no way stated or
implied it. This would be a very very stupid thing for me to say.
It is more than a little insulting for you to claim idiocy of me, or think
I need it explained why it would be wrong. Especially with a whole paragraph.

You just made that up. Why do you keep making things up???

I recognize your limited English ability, but did you read what I said???
I point out that nobody is going to expect you to see things that
they do not believe even exist.

Your claim that atheists do that is a lie. Plain enough?

making fun of their belief just because you can not understand them

Again, a strawman, something you simply made up.
I do NOT DO THAT. I make fun of the stupid things
people say about science, though generally I try to
patiently point out their mistakes. I pointed out some
of yours in the post you are responding to, but did you
take note of any of them? Far from it, you went at it
again making up more falsehoods.

Oh and this...before you know how to see or feel them they can't be seen or felt, but they are still there.

Are they?
Does t his go for pixies,

Technically, this is called "assuming facts not in evidence."
I dont ridicule anyone for this, but I do tend to point out when
they say things as facts when they are only opinions or beliefs.

constant ridiculing of those who have a belief.

Nobody does this. If it were so common, you could
provide an example. You cannot, any more than you
can examples of your other false claims.

Finally this
Or do you do it so you can feel good about your self?

How about a counter question. Does this type of insulting
rhetorical question seem to you as being an example
of the nice nice nice treatment of others you call for?
I trust it is not.
How about making things up, and then criticizing someone
for what you make up?

All your complaints are made up.
You've made no concession at all that you've been
making things up. Far from it, you added more.

What a long boring post. It's no wonder most people don't respond to your posts.

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyFire

Secularism is actually the best way to protect religious freedom.

When religion has influence over government, this tends to be very bad news for all forms of religion that aren't the single denomination in power.

By arguing that religion shouldn't get special treatment, secularism doesn't just fight against special benefits for certain religions; it also fights to make sure that certain religions shouldn't be singled out for special harms or restrictions.

It's still devilish by nature, even though I believe in a "devil dog". I always imagined that the skepticism is the beast of wonder. There is a better way to judge religions than with secualarity, but skepticism can still wreck **** in hell.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I fell asleep on the bus and woke up here.

(will try to post a real answer when I can get to a desktop)

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
And although here in the UK there will likely be less animosity between any believers and non-believers (from my experience) one can't but be aware that being an atheist in some countries is rather more dangerous. I think that is what some of us are likely to be railing against, given that those in such countries usually don't have a voice.

That's a good point, one I hadn't considered looking in to. What atheists might be subject to in heavily Christian populated countries with no laws to protect them. Like how they imprison gay people.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I have always found it amusing how Christians will complain about atheists lowering themselves down to the bar set by Christians.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I fell asleep on the bus and woke up here.

(will try to post a real answer when I can get to a desktop)

OK, in 2007 I was feuding with my landlady about money she owed me, and at one point I found out that she had been monitoring my internet use, and had somehow figured out a way to spy on me by reading my posts in the Forum site I was a member of.

So, since I didn't want her to know I was thinking about suing her and /or dropping a dime to the housing commission (her property had building code violations that would have probably resulted in 6 figures worth of fines), and since I didn't entirely trust myself not to talk about it online (had a lot of friends there), and since at the same time I was getting increasingly disturbing PMs from an alcoholic woman less than half my age (although in retrospect I realized it could have been someone playing a game with me), I decided to take a break from the site and started looking for a new, "temporary" forum site to hang out in.

After test driving quite a few places, I landed here. Turned out to be not so temporary.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That's a good point, one I hadn't considered looking in to. What atheists might be subject to in heavily Christian populated countries with no laws to protect them. Like how they imprison gay people.

It seem to be that atheists are not so prominent in many majority Muslim countries too.

Audie

Veteran Member

Wrong. And I dont deny there could be "spiritual beings."
So wrong again.

You started this thread with "why", followed with
insulting nonsense against atheists. So I defended
my integrity and that of other atheists.

Your spiritual beliefs strike me as silly, but are of no concern.
Dont try to change the subject away from your behaviour.

My complaint was your false complaints about atheists,
how utterly brainless and lacking in character
they must be.

I listed several blatant falsehoods, showed
why they are false.

Why do you ignore that, then try to turn it back
on me with a change of topic and a new falsehood?

As another poster recently asked someone,

Why does it not bother you
to post falsehoods?

Of course I dont expect you to agree with my notions
of spirituality, no two around here do agree.

And after seeing this display, I also wont
expect you to ever admit to any of your
falsehoods, though I must say
I am disappointed in you.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Wrong. And I dont deny there could be "spiritual beings."
So wrong again.

Your spiritual beliefs strike me as silly, but are of no concern.
My complaint was your false complaints about atheists,
how utterly brainless and lacking in character
they must be.

It is really odd that you did not notice that.

I listed several blatant falsehoods, showed
why they are false.

Why do you ignore that, then try to turn it back
on me with a change of topic and a new falsehood?

As another poster recently asked someone,

Why does it not bother you
to post falsehoods?

Of course I dont expect you to agree with my notions
of spirituality, no two around here do agree.

And after seeing this display, I also wont
expect you to ever admit to any of your
falsehoods, though I must say
I am disappointed in you.
It may be falsehood in your view, that is ok. not a problem for me. When your comments become silly yes i do ignore them.
Personally i do not see my posts as falsehood, but i am very aware that those who do not believe what i say, would of course see it as false. And to answer why i in this thread was more "aggressive" toward Atheists. Because it is tiresome to always have to defend spirituality against sometimes ridiculous claims from some Atheists, not all of them.

Audie

Veteran Member
It may be falsehood in your view, that is ok. not a problem for me. When your comments become silly yes i do ignore them.
Personally i do not see my posts as falsehood, but i am very aware that those who do not believe what i say, would of course see it as false. And to answer why i in this thread was more "aggressive" toward Atheists. Because it is tiresome to always have to defend spirituality against sometimes ridiculous claims from some Atheists, not all of them.

So you do truly deep down inside believe it is true
that as you put it, ...not able to understand that even we
cannot see or feel god.

Speaking of ridiculous claims!!

You have no examples of what you pretend is routine
and you never will.

And yet you cannot detect the untruth, the
fantastic stuoidity required for anyone to expect you
to see something they consider to be non existent??

But you do not see even that as a falsehood.

Anyone inclined to give credence to anything you say
may want to take note of this display.

Audie

Veteran Member
And although here in the UK there will likely be less animosity between any believers and non-believers (from my experience) one can't but be aware that being an atheist in some countries is rather more dangerous. I think that is what some of us are likely to be railing against, given that those in such countries usually don't have a voice.
Nice living where atheism is routine as in China

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
atheists as victims?? give me a break

Are you unaware of Christianity's sins against atheists? I outlined some of it at https://www.religiousforums.com/threads/what-was-your-original-reason-to-become-a-rf-member.230056/page-4#post-6532934 which summarizes the atheophobic biblical scripture and the consequences to atheists.

How should atheists feel about a religion that does that to them, or causes these kinds of things to be said?:
  • "Settle it therefore in your minds, as a maxim never to be effaced or forgotten, that atheism is an inhuman, bloody, ferocious system, equally hostile to every useful restraint and to every virtuous affection; that, leaving nothing above us to excite awe, nor round us to awaken tenderness, it wages war with heaven and with earth: its first object is to dethrone God, its next to destroy man." - Rev. Robert Hall
  • "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."- American President George H. W. Bush
Look at that. They even got an American president that took an oath of office to protect all Americans including atheists. He didn't even consider us citizens. Were you really unaware of all of this, or just indifferent?

Sorry, but this church declared war on atheists a long time ago. Once, it tortured and killed them. By my lifetime, it had gotten better, but atheists were still deemed immoral and therefore unfit to teach, coach, adopt, serve on juries, and are still practically unelectable. And we continue to see the bigotry on these threads. You not only shouldn't expect us to like such a religion, you expect us to actively oppose it. Why should we tolerate Christian bigotry directed at us?

Amanaki worte, "I don't hold believers in higher regard than Atheists, but i do agree that i sometimes find Atheists annoying because of their constant ridiculing of those who have a belief." Earlier, he wrote, "maybe i am more about finding the answers why Atheists can just let Believers have their belief" It's always a criticism of atheists, not theists. He respects them, not us, notwithstanding his efforts to represent otherwise. He want us to leave them be, but never calls for reciprocal treatment.

Likewise with Landon Caelli (see immediately below)

Both of my kids are atheists, and they are way more forgiving and caring than I am. And most of the religious people I know, for that matter.

why is the 2nd oldest daughter, who is a believer, a genuinely good and caring person, when we raised them both the same?

We don't know that you don't simply define Christian as good and atheist as selfish. I have good reason to suspect what you are calling selfish about your daughter since you also suggested that I was selfish to expatriate from America. Sorry, but I thought that I could find a better life for myself and my wife elsewhere, and feel no affinity for America any longer. Did you think that I had an obligation to live that life, support the businesses of people I don't approve of, and pay taxes that might benefit them as well? I'd rather do those things for people that don't hate liberals and atheists.

To tas8831 quoted above:

Is that really saying much though? I mean, I don't know you that well.

Exactly. But you thought that you were saying something when you told us about your judgments of your daughters.

What a long boring post. It's no wonder most people don't respond to your posts.

There is a better way to judge religions than with secualarity, but skepticism can still wreck **** in hell.

And another one who considers us fit for hell just for not believing in gods. You come by that honestly. Your Bible teaches as much to as many people as it can convince to derogate and demean atheists.

Just because you can not see or understand how others can see or feel a deity does not mean they does not exist

Did anybody assert otherwise? Incidentally, those people *do* assert that this god exists. I assume that that doesn't bother you the way that atheists not agreeing does. I never see you comment on any of that, just what you don't like about atheists.

f you know you make fun of ideas, or beliefs, why do you do it?

Why not. Ridicule is a legitimate tool.
  • "Religions' entire authority and real-world power are undergirded by their abilities to command reverence and deference and create the illusion that they are sacred, sacrosanct, and immune from fundamental criticism or ridicule." - Dan Fincke
  • “The problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” - Brian Cox
  • "Ridicule is the great equalizer against the angry, harsh judgment coming from the pulpit. It is much kinder, because it doesn't ask you to hurt the target like the angry scapegoating from the church, just laugh at it. We can offer reasoned argument to those that can care about such things, and appeal to the consciences of those that have them. But ridicule is useful with those not amenable to either." - anon
  • "I give your religion as much respect as your religion gives me. There's nothing complicated about it, and I have every right to insult a religion that goes out of its way to insult, to judge, and to condemn me as an inadequate human being, which your religion does with self righteous gusto. When it comes to insults your religion started this, not me. If your religion kept its big mouth shut so would I. But given that it doesn't, and given the enormous harm that your religion has done in this world. I'd say that not only do I have a right, but a duty to insult it, as does every rationale thinking person on this planet." – Pat Condell
  • “So when I meet somebody who claims to be religious, my first impulse is: “I don’t believe you. I don’t believe you until you tell me do you really believe — for example, if they say they are Catholic — do you really believe that when a priest blesses a wafer it turns into the body of Christ? Are you seriously telling me you believe that? Are you seriously saying that wine turns into blood?” Mock them! Ridicule them! In public! Don’t fall for the convention that we’re all too polite to talk about religion. Religion is not off the table. Religion is not off limits. - Dawkins”
Do you really think it helps to make fun of others?

It makes sense to ridicule bad ideas.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus." -Thomas Jefferson

None of the examples I provided is ridiculing a person - just ideas.

What atheists might be subject to in heavily Christian populated countries with no laws to protect them. Like how they imprison gay people.

Agreed, which is why I say that I don't really want church-state separation, but subordination of the church to the state. That's not separation. The church has no rights not granted by the state, including freedom of religion. Separate the state from the church, and the latter would ride roughshod over us all.

The separation I really want is from the church, and the only defense against that is a secular state.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Agreed, which is why I say that I don't really want church-state separation, but subordination of the church to the state. That's not separation. The church has no rights not granted by the state, including freedom of religion. Separate the state from the church, and the latter would ride roughshod over us all.

The separation I really want is from the church, and the only defense against that is a secular state.

I edited out all the comments made to other forum members, leaving only this one made to me.

I see what you are saying and it makes sense. However, the Constitution protects religious rights along with other rights. So that's why the "Separation of church and state" amendment was added. so that religions could not pass any laws persecuting anyone. Just saying.

tas8831

Then why is the 2nd oldest daughter, who is a believer, a genuinely good and caring person, when we raised them both the same?
Like I said - bad parenting. I'm betting you DIDN'T raise them the same.

I'm guessing you mistreated the 'selfish atheist' in some fashion, or treated her normal teen rebellion as an affront to your flimsy beliefs and made her suffer for it, while heaping praise and affection upon the brainwashed one. Or maybe she was abused by a priest and you took HIS side, as seems to be the norm in your religion.
And now you use her reactions to your mistreatment as 'evidence' that atheists bad.

Pretty common among your type, actually. Knew a person whose parents had kicked him out of his home when he was 17 because he told them he was not a Christian any more. They still won't talk to him, decades later. Must be that Christian love we hear so much about.