• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What type of mystic are you?

• Visionary mystic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ordinary mystic

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Direct mystic

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Other type of mystic

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Relate to none of the above.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • A combination of 2 or more.

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I prefer the term "Intellectual Mystic" as the ability to reason is more functional than the ability to dream.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Ordinary mystic, I suppose. I have my most numinous experiences from contemplating the immensity of life, the cosmos, the world around me and the beauty of all those things.

Jeremy Taylor

I cannot claim to have had mystical experiences, but my mysticism is definitely intellectual, like Plato's or Meister Eckhart's. At the centre of my mysticism is Nous or Intellect.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
As for this eclectic UU Transcendentalist, I'm an ordinary mystic and visionary mystic. Because I envision the Infinite Divine as being immanent as well as transcendent, I choose to recognize a blurred distinction between the spirit world and the material world.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Would anyone agree with me to call life itself a mystical experience? Existing is probably the closest thing to experiencing existence. And those who spend more time building their life rather than living it might as well have never existed in the first place.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Would anyone agree with me to call life itself a mystical experience? Existing is probably the closest thing to experiencing existence. And those who spend more time building their life rather than living it might as well have never existed in the first place.

What do you mean by "building their life rather than living it?" I ask because I see building something as, in a general sense because individual details will vary, as living life, too. just a different way.:shrug:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Would anyone agree with me to call life itself a mystical experience?
Truthfully speaking, TsOa, smelling a cup of steaming coffee could be a mystical experience. What isn't, really? Inner pathways have the strangest habit for unraveling in the strangest places and circumstances.

Existing is probably the closest thing to experiencing existence.
Ya think?

And those who spend more time building their life rather than living it might as well have never existed in the first place.
I sort of get your drift, but the wording was pretty sloppy. I don't see it this way at all.

The Sum of Awe

What do you mean by "building their life rather than living it?" I ask because I see building something as, in a general sense because individual details will vary, as living life, too. just a different way.:shrug:

Building life is to work to create a bettering future life, such as getting a degree, working long hours, saving money, save vacation.

Some put more work in than it is worth, building a future up til your deathbed.

When one escapes the structure we put on life, they are living pure life. Eliminate the values that society tries to meet, and value life more than the way you are told to live.

I'm basically saying to look into the details of life instead of arguing about what parts of it are yours.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Building life is to work to create a bettering future life, such as getting a degree, working long hours, saving money, save vacation.

When one escapes the structure we put on life, they are living pure life. Eliminate the values that society tries to meet, and value life more than the way you are told to live.

I'm basically saying to look into the details of life instead of arguing about what parts of it are yours.

Ah, I see!:yes:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

So, in essence, while toiling in the gardens of life, always remember to take some time to smell the roses.

The Sum of Awe

So, in essence, while toiling in the gardens of life, always remember to take some time to smell the roses.

Precisely. Especially if the work is done to smell the roses. One should spend less time working to smell the roses than smelling them. Otherwise the extra effort was a waste of time that you could've used to smell the roses.

Jeremy Taylor

I think it is important we smell the roses as they actually are and that, as all the great religious and spiritual traditions testify, man in his current form must work to smell the roses as they should be smelt.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Precisely. Especially if the work is done to smell the roses. One should spend less time working to smell the roses than smelling them. Otherwise the extra effort was a waste of time that you could've used to smell the roses.
I'm not so sure. For me, quality always trumps quantity.

TurkeyOnRye

Vouthon said:

I can relate to all three types, I suppose. However, visionary experiences don't really occur for me. I have had them during exceptionally stressful episodes of my life. They would arise during the dream state, but presented in exceptionally higher vividness. Kind of like the difference between 480i and 4K video, to make a comparison. I have discovered a method for turning up the resolution to quite a shocking degree, but I am not very keen on trying it too much because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Dreams are exceptionally telling for me. When I dream, I always get something of great value from it. I wonder what kind of mystic would fall into this category. I suppose visionary would be the closest if it were among the three.

"Ordinary mystic" would probably be the most appropriate type since I find "revelation" in every activity every day. Every evening, I go to sleep feeling like I'm a bit wiser.

Last edited:

Baladas

An Págánach
All three. Primarily Ordinary and Visionary, but I have experienced Direct multiple times. Very interesting post. :)