• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What SHOULD we teach in school?

TJ73

We have discussed things we think should not be taught. what about some things that should be.
I think there should be basic introduction to finance, at least and more advanced as electives. I know too many adults that don't even know how to write a dam check!

How about a class teaching social skills? How to develop and manage relationships with in family, friends, business relationships?

What do you think. I think people are not taught enough basic life skills that have a big impact on the individual and society. And Parents often just can not provide due to lack of personal knowledge themselves or time restrictions.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I think that Classical Philosophy should be taught again, such as Plato, Socrates, Cicero, Aristotle, Confucius, etc. This is good of the development of the intellect. Also, debate should be encouraged in school, and not sitting and being programmed by a teacher.

Dezzie

I think that Classical Philosophy should be taught again, such as Plato, Socrates, Cicero, Aristotle, Confucius, etc. This is good of the development of the intellect. Also, debate should be encouraged in school, and not sitting and being programmed by a teacher.

I love those ideas and I agree with them.

Also, I remember taking a Greek Mythology class in school years ago. I wish some school's still had that. I loved the stories and the life lessons you can learn from them. I understand that a lot of people wouldn't want Myth's taught to kids but the teachers should encourage that they are just myths. They were very good learning experiences IMO.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
School is designed to give a basic knowledge. And for the most part, it does. The problem is that many students just don't care. You can take finance classes, philosophy courses, and what not in many schools. Students just don't because they have no interest.

As for debate, it is encouraged in many schools. I actually took a debate course, and many of my classes were open for discussion. However, the fact is students don't have the knowledge to really debate these courses. They are just learning, and open debate subtracts from their learning.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
We have discussed things we think should not be taught. what about some things that should be.
I think there should be basic introduction to finance, at least and more advanced as electives. I know too many adults that don't even know how to write a dam check!

How about a class teaching social skills? How to develop and manage relationships with in family, friends, business relationships?

What do you think. I think people are not taught enough basic life skills that have a big impact on the individual and society. And Parents often just can not provide due to lack of personal knowledge themselves or time restrictions.

I would like to see firstly pure sciences, and applied sciences. Philosophy and history and all the arts. World skills like economics, politics, law all should be introduced as applied subjects.
What would be important in the teaching would be to connect them all together chronologically, so as you are learning say greek history, greek art and literature, you are learning greek philosophy of the time, and scientific discoveries that are appropriate. This would create a cohesive context to understanding, much better than isolated subjects from one and other.

In science at least, i see value in creating 2 schools, or disciplines, the theoretical side and the practical side. Children who like to think big will enjoy theory, and children who think small, experimentally will enjoy the latter. I think in terms of setting one up in life, such a distinction would be beneficial, at least as beneficial and meaningful as differentiating between subjects like Biol and Chem.

Alex

TJ73

I'm sorry, but they have no problem teaching my kids how to use a friggin condom, but not how to right a check to the child care provider after the thing breaks and they have a baby. They can teach them about all the wonderful thinkers in the world but not how to deal socially with people they may differ with. And the evidence is too clear to me. The way children are allowed to treat each other in school is appalling and disruptive as well.

TJ73

I would like to see firstly pure sciences, and applied sciences. Philosophy and history and all the arts. World skills like economics, politics, law all should be introduced as applied subjects.
What would be important in the teaching would be to connect them all together chronologically, so as you are learning say greek history, greek art and literature, you are learning greek philosophy of the time, and scientific discoveries that are appropriate. This would create a cohesive context to understanding, much better than isolated subjects from one and other.

In science at least, i see value in creating 2 schools, or disciplines, the theoretical side and the practical side. Children who like to think big will enjoy theory, and children who think small, experimentally will enjoy the latter. I think in terms of setting one up in life, such a distinction would be beneficial, at least as beneficial and meaningful as differentiating between subjects like Biol and Chem.

Alex
Economics, politics and law! I love it. People can be far better contributors if they had a least a fundamental knowledge of these things that affect everyone.

Dezzie

Economics, politics and law! I love it. People can be far better contributors if they had a least a fundamental knowledge of these things that affect everyone.

You know... I am actually really happy I never had Politics. That is one of my worst subjects. I would have failed miserably. I have to take it for College but I am saving that class for the end. :p

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Literacy, numeracy, "hard sciences".
Computers.
Foreign language/s.
Sports.
Childcare and sex-ed.

I'd like things like drama, politics and economics, art, music etc to still be important, but I think they should be less important. Perhaps one school teaches a couple of things, and another teaches others, and they have a minibus service going to and fro different schools to do those vocationals?

I'd like to see meditation and yoga come to schools too... but I doubt that. :D

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
  1. Math-including personal finances.
  2. Literacy- defined by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization as the "ability to identify, understand, interpret, create, communicate, compute and use printed and written materials associated with varying contexts."
  3. Natural Sciences-such as earth science, biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy and a basic introduction to the scientific method.
  4. Social Sciences- such as anthropology, archaeology, business administration, development studies, economics, geography, history, law, political science and sociology.
  5. The Arts- both visual and performing.
  6. Health and Fitness
  7. Technology- such as computer arts and sciences and other modern forms of the industrial arts.

Noaidi

slow walker

I was going to write the same! Teaching people how to relax and take time out for themselves is vital for physical and mental health. So many pupils get stressed almost to the point of a breakdown during exam time.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Perhaps off-campus study with Health and Fitness credits awarded would be more feasible.
An accredited instructor in mind and body relaxation and toning could contract with the school district at considerable savings for the school over hiring a full time instructor.

Dezzie

Literacy, numeracy, "hard sciences".
Computers.
Foreign language/s.
Sports.
Childcare and sex-ed.

I'd like things like drama, politics and economics, art, music etc to still be important, but I think they should be less important. Perhaps one school teaches a couple of things, and another teaches others, and they have a minibus service going to and fro different schools to do those vocationals?

Personally, I think the sports are less important. Art and Music are great for developing intelligence. They are forms of self-expression and that is very important to have in schools. They can aid in the learning process as well. Plus, who wouldn't want a small break from the hard subjects to do something fun yet beneficial? :beach:

I had a computer class... I also took an MS Office class too. Supposedly, a foreign language is mandatory in schools, yet... I got away with one year of Spanish (in 6th or 7th grade). I think I was supposed to take one year of a foreign language in high school but they never made me. I wish they had more foreign language choices in my school. They only had Spanish and Chinese. I would have loved to take German or Italian. Funding is a huge problem though... In my High School they actually had to lay off like 5 teachers because they couldn't pay them. I had a very small school too... There were only 42 people in my graduating class. :areyoucra 6 Guys and the rest were females. lmao We were a tight nit family.

Rakhel

To be honest, I am happy with the courses they have now, but I would be happier if they taught the subject rather than how to pass the test. Too often kids fall behind, not because they don't understand or don't care about the material, but because they want to learn and not be guided.
You have no idea how a high school graduate feels when they get to college, thinking that their high school honors classes give them an advantage, only to learn they need college remedial courses.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I'm sorry, but they have no problem teaching my kids how to use a friggin condom, but not how to right a check to the child care provider after the thing breaks and they have a baby. They can teach them about all the wonderful thinkers in the world but not how to deal socially with people they may differ with. And the evidence is too clear to me. The way children are allowed to treat each other in school is appalling and disruptive as well.

I think many of the folks on the internet could use a refresher English course. Not many seem to know the difference between know and no; to, two, and too; write, rite and right; alter and altar, etc. These mistakes are becoming more and more common. I remember being online back in 97, and the spelling seemed to be much better. How can we, as adults expect our children to think it worth their while to learn these things if we act as if they are unimportant?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again

At the high school level I believe that philosophy and a "life skills" class that incorporates topics like finance, job security, health, relationships, and public speaking should be made mandatory. As of right now in the state of Texas these classes are designated electives and separated into unique blocks.

Math and science education in general need to focus on the wide-scale applicability of the topics and also build on critical thinking skills. The hard sciences in particular should challenge students to elaborate on how they explain particular phenomena before introducing the proper equations and solutions.

More technical courses like graphic design, computer programming, automobile mechanics, etc. would also go a long way.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
In order of importance and emphasis, I think the top of the list should look like this:

(1) critical thinking,
(2) reading comprehension,
(3) philosophy,
(a) logic,
(b) epistemology
(b) ethics,
(c) science,
(d) economics,
(e) civics and government
(4) mathematics,
(5) research methodology,
(6) effective communication (writing and rhetoric)

These can be accomplished through the design of any particular academic subject and across a curriculum of various subjects working in unison to develop these skills. An "English" or "Literature" class, for instance could involve pretty much all of them but number 4. A Chemistry class could entail all of them to some extent but 3(d) and 3(e).

Wannabe Yogi

I volunteer at a title 1 elementary school. 90% of the kids are on the free lunch program. They get two recesses a day. 10 and 15 minutes. They get PE once a week.

Exercise is the best way to treat A.D.D. and depression. It has been shown to work better then medication with many children. Kid's today almost never get enough exercise. If children were more active they would behave better in class. The teacher would be able to spend more time teaching and less time disciplining.

Skwim

Veteran Member

I agree. I also think a class, or at least part of a class should be devoted to critical thinking skills; going over basic logic and fallacious arguments.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Hmm...

1. Language arts (we used to call it English) including spelling.
2. Mathematics and Arithmetic.
3. History and Social Studies
4. Science of various sorts.
5. How to get a job basics- writing resumes, doing interviews, etc.
6. How to write checks is a good idea, but...
7. Computer arts (especially in this computer driven world)
8. Health, Fitness, PE, etc.
9. Maybe some kind of music class- I personally have no music talent, but a lot of students did.

I took both French and Spanish in high school, Science Fiction/Mythology (counted as an English credit), Driver's Ed., a