• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion would be best for me?

JRMcC

I've recently been searching for a religion. When I was younger I never believed in God. Now I'm on the fence about a higher power. I do believe in the big bang theory. I love nature with all my heart. I believe in karma big time. I don't understand why there is so much suffering in the world. I believe in an afterlife. I don't believe in a heaven or a hell though. I mainly believe in either reincarnation or the summerland. I practice Buddhism. I believe in no harm. I have never believed in the devil and I probably never will. I believe in spirits. Anyone know of a religion that matches all my beliefs?

Also, it might not be a bad idea to look into the Baha'i faith. Someone posted really beautiful Baha'i prayers yesterday. Unless you're only looking for a religion that deals with karma and rebirth. In that case look at Jainism, or perhaps study Buddhism more closely. Again, I would recommend reading the Bhagavad Gita. Vaishnavas focus on this text, though it's a great source of wisdom evern if you're not exactly "religious." There's also Shaivism, but I've found that hard to learn about.

Kirran

Premium Member
Ah, Hinduism can be very vague, you don't need to go with Vaishnavism or Shaivism or Shaktism or the Ganapatya movement etc, you can look into it outside those boxes.

It also ranges from atheism right through to full-fledged monotheism and polytheism, and everything in between (inc. pantheism - the universe = God, be that a person or no, panentheism = the universe is in God etc) so I feel your views on the matter could certainly be accommodated within that label, if you find it interesting :)

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
When I was 17, I think I might have described myself in a similar way to you, albeit with more of a geeky science/philosophy bent. I won't suggest a religion, but If I could offer anything from my experience, it would be

- Try to know yourself with as much honesty and humility as you can. Honesty and humility means trying to observe in yourself the habits of mind and behavior that seem unhelpful without immediately rationalizing or justifying them to yourself. It means questioning the stories you tell yourself about yourself and about the world. It does not mean shame or self-hatred, but dispassion. Many spiritual paths teach that if you truly come to know yourself, you will also come to know the Divine. If you are practicing Buddhism, probably you already have some awareness of this path.

- Seek to adopt, as a way of life, the desire to love and be of service to everything and everyone. This is not possible without the dispassion, humility, and honesty of self-knowledge. And remains perhaps always an aspiration which is not quite in reach. But in the struggle for it I have found such peace and joy, connection to myself and others, and such a profound feeling of the presence of the Divine, whatever that is. For me, my conversion began with someone else's prayer, in which I felt the presence of this peace, and then from there I went. It was not first about any particular belief.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why would you think this is sarcasm? I didn't know the Gita was only for Vaishnavas.

Not a problem. I guess you learned something then. As Kirran has observed, although it's commonly thought of as the Hindu 'bible' even, it's actually not. Not many Hindus are all that aware of our diversity, as they tend to settle into the little pocket they discover, or in Indian's cases the state/sect/language they are born into.

But you're in a place where you could make it to several Hindu temples, and observe the differences, as you learn more about this great faith.

GoodbyeDave

I've recently been searching for a religion.
1. I'm on the fence about a higher power.
2. I believe in karma big time. I don't believe in a heaven or a hell though.
3. I don't understand why there is so much suffering in the world.
Anyone know of a religion that matches all my beliefs?
1. Well, that's a start!
2. I think most religions believe that you reap what you sow, but hell is very much a Christian/Muslim thing.
3. It would be difficult to arrange otherwise. If every time someone was about to do wrong, God shouted "Don't you dare!", we wouldn't be humans — just puppets. If every time something bad was about happen (like a volcanic eruption) God stopped it, the world would be full of random events and intelligence would never have evolved.

If you have a Unitarian church near by, especially in the USA, that's somewhere that accepts anyone.
There are many other religions, although you may not have access to them (no local Hindu temple) or they may feel too foreign.

For Neopaganism, have a look here
Teens and Paganism FAQ -- For Those New to Paganism (The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum)
For more about my religion
LABRYS : Hellenic Polytheistic community

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I've recently been searching for a religion. When I was younger I never believed in God. Now I'm on the fence about a higher power. I do believe in the big bang theory. I love nature with all my heart. I believe in karma big time. I don't understand why there is so much suffering in the world. I believe in an afterlife. I don't believe in a heaven or a hell though. I mainly believe in either reincarnation or the summerland. I practice Buddhism. I believe in no harm. I have never believed in the devil and I probably never will. I believe in spirits. Anyone know of a religion that matches all my beliefs?
Hum. Define "No harm".

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Sweetheart, it's very natural for people to recommend what they believe in as you're seeing here. And you also can see the great diversity there is amongst believers in any particular religion. And even in that diversity, there are those who truly follow the core beliefs and those that seek to exploit people distorting the essential teachings.

Many years ago I spent time searching as you do now. I'd look at a group or a teacher and ask myself "is this the right one for me"? As I looked and as I compared various paths with what I believed, the meaningful came into sharper focus. And sometimes I tried one for a while and found it not what I really was looking for. Finally I found something that opened the doors to my heart and let the sunshine in.

Whether this is true for you or not, what worked for me is captured in a quote from that old movie "They Might Be Giants": "The human heart can see what's hidden to the eyes, and the heart knows things that the mind does not begin to understand."

Last edited:

Baladas

An Págánach
I would have to say that your views seem to be most compatible with Buddhism or Hinduism. Both are beautiful religious traditions. Taoism is also a possibility that may work well for you as well.

I'd recommend having a look at a couple books like the Bhagavad Gita and the Tao Te Ching

I second this. Especially in regards to the Tao te Ching (Daodejing). It's an excellent read, and it helped to change my life significantly and for the better.
However, I would not try to convert you, as I believe that there are many different paths for many different people.

Just keep an open mind and don't be afraid to explore.

Best of luck in finding your path. :D

JRMcC

But you're in a place where you could make it to several Hindu temples, and observe the differences, as you learn more about this great faith.

You mean my physical place, as in Philadelphia, USA? Aside from the Iskcon temple in town, as far as I can tell the closest temples are over an hour's drive and I don't have a car. I would love to be able to visit another one though.

What do you mean by Hindu temples? I was under the impression that one would be a Vaishnava temple, another Saiva ect. Do the lines between sects blur more than I thought?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes they blur a lot. In many ways, like snowflakes, no two are the same. The biggest blur is between Smarta, and any of the rest, of course, because in all outward appearances a Smarta can take on the forms and ways of any of the others. That's sort of the definition of Smarta. The major difference outwardly is North style versus South style. So you really sort of have to know what you're looking for to determined the philosophy/culture behind any temple in America. I had forgotten you didn't own a car.

Kirran

Premium Member
Yes they blur a lot. In many ways, like snowflakes, no two are the same. The biggest blur is between Smarta, and any of the rest, of course, because in all outward appearances a Smarta can take on the forms and ways of any of the others. That's sort of the definition of Smarta. The major difference outwardly is North style versus South style. So you really sort of have to know what you're looking for to determined the philosophy/culture behind any temple in America. I had forgotten you didn't own a car.

I think Smarta is rather more of a thing in North America than over here. As far as I'm aware Manchester is wall to wall Vaishnavites.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Probably true, Kirran. Here we have the amalgamated style of temples because of money, and the fact urban centers are so far apart. Everyone wants a temple, so they all compromise, and Smarta best fit that bill. In UK, you have more substantial established communities and far less distance.

Kirran

Premium Member
Probably true, Kirran. Here we have the amalgamated style of temples because of money, and the fact urban centers are so far apart. Everyone wants a temple, so they all compromise, and Smarta best fit that bill. In UK, you have more substantial established communities and far less distance.

Perhaps a pilgrimage across the Atlantic is in order :)

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Sweetheart, a little green girl told me, whispering in my ear, tell that Sweetheart that soul, if willing to take this thing all the way to the South Side of Kathmandu, this Sweetheart is a JAIN.

But are you really up to it? Mahavira is waiting.

UPDATE

Lord Mahavira
Lord Mahavira was born in Kshatriyakund (present day Bihar) in the year 543 before the Vikram era (599 B.C.) to King Siddhartha and Queen Trishla. Lord Mahavira was the exponent, rejuvenator, and propagator of Jainism. A contemporary of Gautam Buddha, He epitomised the highest form of virtue and human perfection. His life is a perennial source of light and inspiration to all.

At the age of 30, He renounced the world and took the vow of asceticism. He spent the next twelve and a half years in deep silence and meditation, performing severe penance and austerities, fasting for the most part of this period. Abuses were hurled at Him. He was even tortured and beaten, but the great Lord Mahavira accepted whatever came His way with utmost equanimity. Be it attacks by wild beasts and poisonous insects, vagaries of weather or other such calamities, He was neither moved by attachment nor aversion. With perfect equanimity He continued towards His goal and finally attained complete enlightenment.

Genealogy
After He attained Omniscience, for thirty years Lord Mahavira preached the eternal truth. The ultimate objective of His teachings was how to attain total freedom from the cycle of birth and death; and achieve the state of eternal bliss - known as Moksh. His teachings and life continue to inspire people even today.

Lord Mahavira founded the Four-folded order or Chaturvidh Sangh, namely monks, nuns, laymen and laywomen. His teachings were compiled and transmitted to posterity in the form of Agams (Jain canons) by the gandhars (chief disciples). These canonical texts serve as the guiding light for aspirants along the path of self-realisation. They are instrumental in liberating souls from the miseries of the cycles of birth and death.

Nirvan
Lord Mahavira attained nirvan at the age of 72. He left His human body and attained nirvan (liberation) at Pawapuri. To this day, this occasion is celebrated as Diwali, the festival of lights, symbolising the perpetuation and universalisation of His truth-revealing and soul-illuminating light of knowledge, in His physical absence.

Ins-MB-Dateline-Img2.png

CHRONOLOGICAL REPRESENTATION OF BHAGWAN MAHAVIRA'S LIFE
B.C.Event

600 BC

Auspicious occasion of conception, on asadh sud 6, in Brahminkund

599 BC

Glorious birth on chaitra sud 13, in Kshatriyakund.

591 BC

The Light of the World, sent to school for formal education
at the age of 8 years.

571 BC

Parents pass away when He is 28 years of age.
Postpones renunciation for two years at the request
of His elder brother, Nandivardhan.

569 BC

Renounces all worldly ties at the age of 30 years, on kartik vad 10,
at Kshatriyakund.

568 BC

His immense compassion pacifies a fierce and poisonous snake,
Chandakaushik.

559 BC

Maintains complete equanimity, while passing through dreadful ordeals
inflicted on Him by a celestial being, Sangamdev.

558 BC

Accepts alms after a five month and twenty-five day long fast,
from Chandanbala.

557 BC

Peacefully bears excruciating pain caused by a cowherd, who hammers
nail-like hard grass pegs into His ears.

557 BC

Attains Omniscience on vaishakh sud 10, at the age of 42 years, on the
banks of the river Rujuvalika.

527 BC

Attains nirvan (liberation) on aso vad 30, at the age of 72 years,
at Pawapuri.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
Rather than looking for a religion that matches your beliefs, would it not be wise to seek the one true religion that teaches the truth, rather than what we choose to believe?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Does that exist?
Definitely ... but only in the minds of those who have this 'there is one truth, only one truth, and it stands for all mankind' belief pre-set. In other ways, the 'my way' version of 'intelligence'. And in this particular case, he's referring to the Christian Bible.

Kirran

Premium Member
Definitely ... but only in the minds of those who have this 'there is one truth, only one truth, and it stands for all mankind' belief pre-set. In other ways, the 'my way' version of 'intelligence'. And in this particular case, he's referring to the Christian Bible.

Well that's one more equally-valid aspect of the world's faiths. Meta-Hinduism :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If there is no "true" religion then you're looking for a club to join, not an ideology to believe in.
Presumably the beliefs you professed in the OP were arrived at by a critical analysis of established facts. You must seek a belief system congruent with the conclusions you've arrived at. Weather it's "best for you" is irrelevant. Truth is truth.

Last edited by a moderator: