• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion would be best for me?

I've recently been searching for a religion. When I was younger I never believed in God. Now I'm on the fence about a higher power. I do believe in the big bang theory. I love nature with all my heart. I believe in karma big time. I don't understand why there is so much suffering in the world. I believe in an afterlife. I don't believe in a heaven or a hell though. I mainly believe in either reincarnation or the summerland. I practice Buddhism. I believe in no harm. I have never believed in the devil and I probably never will. I believe in spirits. Anyone know of a religion that matches all my beliefs?

Kirran

Premium Member
I believe if you do something wrong. It will come back later and hurt you the most in the end.

But what counts as something wrong for you? Is it an absolute?

You might think of different things as wrong to many other people.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's not really an option for me at the moment.

Yes I see. After I made that post I looked at your profile and saw your age. The next best thing, I suppose, would be to read introductory books on each religion. For Hinduism, I would recommend, 'What is Hinduism?" published by Himalayan Academy. It is free on-line from their website. Not sure about other faiths, but you could search at Amazon. Some books like ' ________ for Dummies' might show up.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Don't you think she should at least read chapter two of the Gita? :D

Is this sarcasm intended for me? I've never read the Gita, nor do I intend to. I'm not a Vaishnava. I've been a practicing Hindu for 40+ years.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sweetheart, if you were in my city, I'd contact your parents, and ask all of you to come on a tour of my temple ... that would work, I think, unless they have strong objections.

Kirran

Premium Member
The Bhagavad Gita, while a very interesting book, isn't really the seminal Hindu scripture it's purported to be, that's more of a Western imposition. A bit of 'pizza effect' going on.

Nevertheless, @Sweetheart (clever name :L ), I'd recommend having a look at a couple books like the Bhagavad Gita and the Tao Te Ching (Daoism's seminal text) as well. The Tao Te Ching's pretty light, whereas the Gita and a lot of other books can be a little heavy.

It seems your views are perfectly compatible with Hinduism to me, but that doesn't mean you need to be one.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sweetheart, you seem to have that rare quality of original and pure intelligence. An inquiring mind at your age will get you places ... on the inside. I wish all of us could be so lucky.

Kirran

Premium Member
You're just getting Hindus here, wait for some thoughts from other people too, would be my advice :)

Also, agreed on what Vinayaka's saying, it's great that you've got such a fascination about this already at your age, it bodes well for you in whatever path you choose to follow, I'm sure.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Sweetheart (nice name) I suggest start a Bible Study with Jehovahs Witnesses.
They hold close to much, not all, of what you already believe.
Will come to your home or invite you into thier home, charge you zero money, treat you like family, won't "push" anything down your throat, and you are free to end a study any time your wish.
In any event JWs know the Bible very, very, well and can answer any question
you have.

You're just getting Hindus here, wait for some thoughts from other people too, would be my advice :)

Also, agreed on what Vinayaka's saying, it's great that you've got such a fascination about this already at your age, it bodes well for you in whatever path you choose to follow, I'm sure.
Thank you! You guys helped me out a lot, plus you were super nice! Some people can be very rude to me haha but whatever!

Christ's Lamb

~Catholic Mystic~
I've recently been searching for a religion. When I was younger I never believed in God. Now I'm on the fence about a higher power. I do believe in the big bang theory. I love nature with all my heart. I believe in karma big time. I don't understand why there is so much suffering in the world. I believe in an afterlife. I don't believe in a heaven or a hell though. I mainly believe in either reincarnation or the summerland. I practice Buddhism. I believe in no harm. I have never believed in the devil and I probably never will. I believe in spirits. Anyone know of a religion that matches all my beliefs?

I would like to just point out, I see that you the words "I believe" a lot. Instead of searching for a religion that matches up with what you believe, because we as humans believe many things that are not always true, simply put all of your personal beliefs aside and search for Truth. I'm not saying what you personally believe is or is not true, but what I am saying is that we tend to put our own personal beliefs before Truth, thus we cannot see what is and is not True.

Simply study all religions thoroughly, may take years, but it is well worth the time. Put your opinions aside. Never doubt that something is or is not true. Just go into it with an open mind. If you do this, you will find Truth.

Wishing you the best of luck on you journey.

JRMcC

Is this sarcasm intended for me? I've never read the Gita, nor do I intend to. I'm not a Vaishnava. I've been a practicing Hindu for 40+ years.

Why would you think this is sarcasm? I didn't know the Gita was only for Vaishnavas.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

Answer

I've recently been searching for a religion.

Peace be on you. Through Internet?

When I was younger I never believed in God.
Now I'm on the fence about a higher power.
It is a great leap. How it happened? Any sharing?

I do believe in the big bang theory.

link The Quran and Cosmology

I love nature with all my heart.
Nice, but if nature as a creation of God. Yes?

I believe in karma big time.

Do you mean good or bad action make results back?

I don't understand why there is so much suffering in the world.

link The Question of Suffering

I believe in an afterlife.

True.

I don't believe in a heaven or a hell though.

For full justice to be done and for rewards and for full manifestation of God these are needed -- Hell as hospital then out of it.

I mainly believe in either reincarnation or the summerland.

By summerland, do you mean "Summerland as a place where the soul goes on to live forever"....then it is heaven.

I practice Buddhism.
I believe in no harm.
Actually no religion does.

I have never believed in the devil and I probably never will.
I believe in spirits.
Positive and negative forces.

Anyone know of a religion that matches all my beliefs?

You are evolving in faith as in past you did not believe in God, now are at fence for higher power.

Hearty Suggestion:
1=Please study Ahmadiyya Muslim @ alislam.org and mta.tv and here in RF [Ahmadiyya DIR]
2= Please do prayers for direct guidance from God.

Last edited: