• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Philosophical Questions Stump You Most

Straw Dog

Is it truly better to love and lose that love, than to never love at all?

That's a tough one. At the end of the day, it is better to have loved and lost. Sometimes the heart needs to break in order to heal in a new way. If we can bear witness to the pain, our capacity for love may expand.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Can we really know anything objectively, or can we know with certainty anything outside our own subjective thought and experience?

Yes, that's a good one! It makes me smile when people start talking about "Ultimate Reality", which is presumably more "real" than plain old "Reality", which in turn I assume is a bit more real than "reality" with a small r. :p

Skwim

Veteran Member
main-qimg-c00402d7f2ab05eb47956253212f1880

raw_thought

I agree with Wittgenstein that how words attach to reality is the most fundamental mystery . Words do not resemble concepts and concepts do not resemble reality. For example, the concept "book" lacks a specifixc, size, weight, shape, title, language... Nothing resembles that!

Skwim

Veteran Member
I agree with Wittgenstein that how words attach to reality is the most fundamental mystery . Words do not resemble concepts and concepts do not resemble reality. For example, the concept "book" lacks a specifixc, size, weight, shape, title, language... Nothing resembles that!
Why should they? What's the imperative?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does power corrupt or reveal our true nature?

In my experience, both, but perhaps in different ways. I've never held great power, but I was a boss for most of my business career with responsibilities for up to 85 employees. And I found that having even that relatively modest degree of power over people tends to be a remarkably efficient and effective way of discovering who you really are. At the same time, it can tempt you to express who you really are in ways that are simply not ethical. It can also lead you to expressing very decent sides of yourself, so power doesn't always lead to corruption, pure and simple.

raw_thought

Since comcepts do not resemble reality, how can they reveal anything about reality? For example, if I say," the sky is blue" that tells me something about reality. But how is that possible, when theee is no correspondence between the conxcept blue and the color blue.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why should they? What's the imperative?

I think Wittgenstein's point was that, because concepts need not replicate reality, it is possible and even fairly easy to make a whole slew of mistakes when dealing with them, or attempting to apply them to reality. Just a fact of life.