• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Philosophical Questions Stump You Most

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
That was stupid what you wrote . Please read posts before responding
You are the one whining about how an apple does not resemble an elephant.
So sorry.
Was you expecting a "WHY THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!!"?

I am reading the posts before I respond.
Problem is that the posts you leave are obviously NOT saying what you think they are.

raw_thought

You said (post 109)that I claimed that if I hand you an apple, that means that I have explained to you what an elephant is. Actually ,I said the opposite (if you had been following the conversation you would have known that).
My point is that since concepts do not resemble reality (like an apple does not resemble an elephant ),they explain nothing. Just like handing you an apple does not explain to you what an elephant is.

raw_thought

This is pointless ! I explain my argument and instead of showing how my aargument (sorry Im part pirate! LOL ) is stupid , you call me names . I am looking forward to an actual debate from you.
Attack the argument, not the person! That is logic 101!
Attacking the person is not only rude,it also shows a lack of critical thinking skills. For example,
1. Manson is a liar .
2. Manson said that 1+1 equals 2.
3. Therefore , 1+1 does not equal 2.
Is a silly argument!

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You said (post 109)that I claimed that if I hand you an apple, that means that I have explained to you what an elephant is. Actually ,I said the opposite (if you had been following the conversation you would have known that).
My point is that since concepts do not resemble reality (like an apple does not resemble an elephant ),they explain nothing. Just like handing you an apple does not explain to you what an elephant is.
And I said that an apple does not represent an elephant.
period.
at all..
So all you have done is shown that an elephant cannot be explained with an apple.

You have not demonstrated your claim.
And all the whining, jumping up and down, screaming "yes I did" does not alter that fact.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
This is pointless ! I explain my argument and instead of showing how my aargument (sorry Im part pirate! LOL ) is stupid , you call me names . I am looking forward to an actual debate from you.
Attack the argument, not the person! That is logic 101!
Attacking the person is not only rude,it also shows a lack of critical thinking skills. For example,
1. Manson is a liar .
2. Manson said that 1+1 equals 2.
3. Therefore , 1+1 does not equal 2.
Is a silly argument!
And yet that is the exact argument you presented.
Good to know you see how stupid your "argument" is.

Showing how an apple doe snot describe an elephant does not evidence your claim.
It merely shows that not all concepts can be used to explain all other concepts.
Problem is that NO ONE has made the claim that all concepts must explain all other concepts.
So all you are doing is attacking a strawman.

raw_thought

And I said that an apple does not represent an elephant.
period.
at all..
So all you have done is shown that an elephant cannot be explained with an apple.

You have not demonstrated your claim.
And all the whining, jumping up and down, screaming "yes I did" does not alter that fact.

raw_thought

I am not saying that an elephant can explain an apple!!!! I am saying that it CANNOT!!! In other words , a symbol ( the apple) if it does not resemble the elephant cannot tell us anything about the elephant. Similarly, since a word does not resemble the object it attaches to, it cannot tell us anything about that object.
Saying that evolution is the explanation * of how words attach to reality is like answering the question, “how did you solve that calculus problem? “with “ my brain did it.”

Similarly, to say that pain is caused by C-fibers firing does not explain how C-fibers firing causes pain.

See the next link, chapter 5 “the meaning of words” for why the mystery of how words attach to reality has still not been solved.

http://sjmse-library.sch.ng/E-Books Phil/WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN_.pdf

* I am not saying that evolution, or our brains do not facilitate our ability to attach words to reality. I am saying that simply saying that “my brain” or “evolution” facilitated our ability to attach words to reality is not an explanation.

raw_thought

“Problem is that NO ONE has made the claim that all concepts must explain all other concepts.”

Mestemia

I never said that anyone is making that claim. I am saying that if a word does not resemble the object it represents there is no explanation as to how it can tell us anything. Words do not resemble concepts. And concepts do not resemble any concrete reality. For example, the ink pattern “ book” does not resemble the concept book. The concept “book” lacks a specific size, volume, mass , language… Nothing resembles that! No one has yet explained how something that has nothing in common with the thing that is trying to be explained , can explain it. For example, how can an apple tell us anything about an elephant.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
main-qimg-c00402d7f2ab05eb47956253212f1880

Did an hons course in ethics years ago.
Everyone was cheating except me.
Real story.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I've already shared more than is perhaps appropriate on other threads.
But I'm still so buzzed form the win that I might start a thread addressing some of the issues with our legal system.
We shall see.....I'm still bouncing off the walls with glee.
Start your new thread whilst your still gleeful....