• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Philosophical Questions Stump You Most

raw_thought

Wittgenstein (in the blue book) made an interesting argument. Suppose I have a bag of balls. Inside is a red ball, yellow ball, blue ball etc. I say pick out the red ball. You do that. I ask how did you do that. You answer, You said "red ball" so I reached into my memory and got the concept "red". I then compared that to the various balls, found a match and then picked up that ball. Wittgenstein then says, suppose I ask you to imagine a red patch, do you first look into your memory of "red"....Obbiously that leads to an absurd infinite regress.

raw_thought

It is true that Wittgenstein discussed how mistakes are made with language .But his more profound point is that how words attach to reality is a profound mystery.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Since language is what connects us to reality, it is disconcerting to know that that connection makes no sense.

I wouldn't say "since". I'd say, "To the extent that..." But other than that, that's quite a fascinating point, Raw.

raw_thought

There is a GREAT book ( Waking to wonder, Wittgenstein's existential investigations by Gordon C. Bearn ) that explores this issue in depth.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Since comcepts do not resemble reality, how can they reveal anything about reality? For example, if I say," the sky is blue" that tells me something about reality. But how is that possible, when theee is no correspondence between the conxcept blue and the color blue.
So

1. what is the concept (of) blue?​

And

2. what is the color blue?​

And how do they fail to correspond with each other?

I think Wittgenstein's point was that, because concepts need not replicate reality, it is possible and even fairly easy to make a whole slew of mistakes when dealing with them, or attempting to apply them to reality. Just a fact of life.
Which seems to be a rather obvious and trite observation.

raw_thought

The actual color blue and the concept blue have nothing in common. Similarly ,the concept "book" and an actual book have nothing in common. The concept book lacks a specific size, mass, title, form, language... No book resembles that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The actual color blue and the concept blue have nothing in common. Similarly ,the concept "book" and an actual book have nothing in common. The concept book lacks a specific size, mass, title, form, language... No book resembles that.
But when we say "book" the term is understood. The signified is not inherently related to the signiefier, but because of the way our brains process communication, when I say "cat" you understand that I am talking about a feline.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Everything is rather obvious an trite if you think you already know it.
Not at all. Einstein would never have said the mathematics leading up to E = MC² were either obvious or trite just because he understood them. The point you attribute to Wittgenstein is no more monumental than the point that war results in harm.

The actual color blue and the concept blue have nothing in common.
So you've said, but why is this stopping you from answering my questions?

1. what is the concept (of) blue?​

And

2. what is the color blue?​

So, I await your answers, r_t, if you have them. If not then I'll assume you don't know what you're talking about, which I'm beginning to suspect.

raw_thought

Words have nothing in common with concepts and concepts have nothing in common with reality. Anyway, read some Wittgenstein.

raw_thought

read that again slowly ,

raw_thought

Wittgenstein (in the blue book) made an interesting argument. Suppose I have a bag of balls. Inside is a red ball, yellow ball, blue ball etc. I say pick out the red ball. You do that. I ask how did you do that. You answer, You said "red ball" so I reached into my memory and got the concept "red". I then compared that to the various balls, found a match and then picked up that ball. Wittgenstein then says, suppose I ask you to imagine a red patch, do you first look into your memory of "red"....Obbiously that leads to an absurd infinite regress.
read that slowly also skwim