• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes the christian god the 'true god'?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
If other gods allow imperfection in eternity then they are not Gods. God is perfect. If one believes in an imperfect god then they don't believe in a God. Other religions do have truths in them. Some have many truths. But if a lie is wrapped up in a 1000 truths it is still at lie. It is imperfect. 99.99% is not perfection.

God is perfect, so all sin being imperfect must never be tolerated in His perfect Eternity. Therefore all sinners must be cast out and rejected if pure Justice is to reign.. But... If God cares for His creation He will go to extremes to see pure justice done in a way that His now faulty creation can be Redeemed from the price of sin, which is death.. So God himself comes into His creation in human form so suffer death in our place and because His death is the death of a perfect sinless being it pays the price for the transgressions of many imperfect beings.

Not when the Heavenly Host is looking on to see if God willt compromise His perfect standards. Not when lucifer / satan who sabotaged Gods creation is trying to show that God is imperfect to justify his claim that God does not have exclusive claim to Godhood. You know satan wants to be like the Most High and leads Angels who like wise want to be gods... What did Lucifer use to entice Adam and Eve? Do you remember?

Genesis 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

You folks can't prove your God, - just as those you call a lie.

Both are exactly the same - myth.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Humans rely mostly and heavily on human witnessing to get to a truth of any kind. Christianity is the only religion explicitly employed human witnessing for humans to get to a claimed truth.

Human witnessing is the most fundamental way for humans to get to a truth. Humans get to a truth by putting faith on a small group of humans (witnesses) who are believed to be the closest to the truth itself.

Even science goes this way. You don't examine the existence of black holes. You rely on what is claimed by the scientists to get to this truth. Scientists are the small group of humans (witnesses) who are believed to be the closest to the type of truth such as the existence of black holes.

A multiple account human witnessing with the direct witnesses martyred themselves is already the most can and should be done. All left is for you to put your faith to get to the truth, the similar faith you already put to the scientists to get to the truth that black holes do exists. It is the similar faith you put to the reporters (small group of humans forming the media) to get to any truth occurred in this world on a daily basis. it is the similar faith you put to get to any human history (history = his story, is composed of human witnessing about historical events and figures).

The last kind of truth which can only be reached by witnessing is the truth unreachable by humans within a certain time frame. For example, the stone age humans had no chance to get to the truth that black holes exist. However, if you are sent back to stone age, you can "preach" this truth to the stone age humans. They can reach such a truth by putting faith on you. If the existence of black holes does concerns their lives, then you can well say to them that "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one gets to the truth of black holes except through me."

To put it another way, if a god is true and what he claimed concern humans and he cares, then he should urge his witnesses to try to spread the message as wide as possible for people to reach such a truth via believing in witnessing.

The only better way than this is to show himself up in front of everyone such that everyone knows he's god. However, in the case of Christianity this will violate the covenant granted by the Christian God, which says that humans need faith to be saved.

You are using science examples, for myth. That does not work.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Which religion ever explicitly call a small group of humans as God's witnesses, and achieved a multiple account witnessing of God?

In modern days, we have video and such to make a witnessing more valid and believable. What about in ancient times? Martyrdom does the trick. So which religion's claimed witnessing is backed up by martyrdom?

Moreover, if other religions are true and their gods do care about humans, they should pursuit the same "gospel preaching" (bear witnessing) such that humans can be informed of their truth via the most fundamental way of approaching a truth, that is, human witnessing.

Name an example with an explicit claim similar to this,

Acts 1:8
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Martyrdom proves nothing.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
If our first parents had not sinned, they would still be alive and we would have no war or crime or sickness or death. In Genesis 3:15, the Christian God promised a redemption eventually provided by Jesus. In the intervening years and bible accounts, all of God's pronouncements and prophecies have come true except those designated for our day.

So, what makes the Christian god the 'true god'? 6000 years of truth.

Tanakh, and NT, were both written from stories and fragments - long AFTER - said "alleged" events!

SO NO!

No proof, and no prophecy coming true.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Although there is not scientific proof of God, we still believe in Him and we don't see it as myth.

Yes, I understand that, and am not usually so blunt, - unless dealing with people like Adstar. I was answering this -

Adstar said:
If other gods allow imperfection in eternity then they are not Gods. God is perfect. If one believes in an imperfect god then they don't believe in a God. Other religions do have truths in them. Some have many truths. But if a lie is wrapped up in a 1000 truths it is still at lie. It is imperfect. 99.99% is not perfection...

My reply -

Ingledsva said:
You folks can't prove your God, - just as those you call a lie.
Both are exactly the same - myth.

HekaMa'atRa

The Christian God is the God of the Hebrew Scriptures..iow, the Jewish God.

His name is YHWH/ Yahweh (or Jehovah in english) and he proved himself the true God on many occasions in the ancient past. People have worshiped a plethora of different gods, but none of those gods every showed themselves to their followers. They were unable to provide protection to their followers and when called upon, they never showed themselves.

The God of the Hebrews was different. He was a God who did show himself, he revealed his purpose and he provided protection to those who worshiped him.

Your first comment there reminds me of that scene from the movie "Agora" with Rachel Wiesz. There's a large crowd of Alexandrian Pagans and fanatical monotheists gathered in the agora. The monotheist says, "if your Gods are real they will burn me as a walk across this fire pit" - he walks over and is fine. They then go on to ask the Pagan to walk over the fire to see if his Gods will protect him or the Christian God will smite him, I dont' remember which one it is - but they throw him on the fire, he lands on his back, the larger mass area of his back is exposed to the flame and he catches fire.

But back to what you were saying, you need to read up on your Ancient Religions as there are many accounts of Gods showing themselves to mortals or making their presence known. Secondly, I'm pretty sure there's a story in the Bible about a Christian being thrown in a lion's pit and being saved. But guess what, many Christians died from that exact situation. It was almost a social event for the Romans as horrible as that was.

How confident are you in entering a hungry lion's pit?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I could, but its a huge subject and providing one prophecy and its fulfillment is not going to cut it for you. But its certainly a line of evidence that is intriging and well worth looking into.

But why is it huge? If it is huge, it is fishy.

viole's prophecy: tomorrow the sun will not rise.

Suppose, it comes true. Do you think that we will need a huge argumentation to discuss whether it came true or not?

Nope. It will be straightforward.

Ciao

- viole

neologist

Tanakh, and NT, were both written from stories and fragments - long AFTER - said "alleged" events!

SO NO!

No proof, and no prophecy coming true.

You post the opinions of "scholars" and expect us to accept them as truth. If all we had to rely on was the cacophony of scholarly argument and counter argument, we would be consigned to perpetual confusion. As it is we are able to discover, by careful reading and searching, the solid harmony between the writings of the Hebrew and Greek scriptures. What many claim as "contradictions" and post hoc documents are easily explained.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
You post the opinions of "scholars" and expect us to accept them as truth. If all we had to rely on was the cacophony of scholarly argument and counter argument, we would be consigned to perpetual confusion. As it is we are able to discover, by careful reading and searching, the solid harmony between the writings of the Hebrew and Greek scriptures. What many claim as "contradictions" and post hoc documents are easily explained.

OH MY! :rolleyes:

Adstar

The point is you are calling other religions' Gods lies, while having no proof of the one you claim is real.

Who said i did not have proof? I said i did not come here to prove God to other people. I came here to answer questions.

God has proven Himself to me.
But i cannot Prove God to anyone. And no one can prove Gods non-existence to anyone.
Other religions might have many truths i never declared them all lies. But i believe only Christianity has all truths. Now again i cannot prove that to anyone. All i do is answer questions and respond to any misconceptions i can answer.

True Kinglife

Well, God makes me believe in Him ;) And I've found Christianity (Non-Denom) to be the best way for me to reach Him and to learn more about Him and to do His will. I'm not saying there aren't others way to know God, I'm just saying that my interpretation of Christianity resonates with me, It's teachings inspire me and encourage me to grow spiritually.

As to other Gods, I know they're not my God and that's all I need to know about them. It is a sort of ignorance, But one I'm content with.

It's worth believing if it's worth believing to you, Otherwise it's a waste of time. God calls us, If you get the call you get the call. And as they say, If the shoe fits... :)
Alright, first of all, I am not condemning any religion or group of people by asking this. But I just want to know, from the christians of this forum, what makes you believe in what you believe in? What makes you believe in the christian god and not believe in other gods (like Thor, Zeus, etc). And for those who are going to quote from the scriptures (the bible, dogmas, etc), what makes such scripture above anything else/worth believing for? Thanks. :)

Here is my theory, there are many paths to getting closer with "God"....I call it a higher power. Yes it created us all. Whatever it takes for you to become a person of more love than hate then your path is right, and the most important part of it all is you path is your path, its not to be converted but understood. Your relationship with your higher should never be contested because its personal

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Why don't we think of it like this: If someone worships God, they are not going to believe they are worshiping a false God.
;)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
For me, God is a theological construct, rooted in the mythic, but interfacing with the empirical. I doubt that my perspective of God matches up very well with what is considered "the Xtian norm." I tend to make meaning of the world in spiritual, rather than empirical terms. For me, the earth, while I understand the science and facts of what the earth is, is understood more as "Divine expression" than as "molecules formed in a particular way."

neologist

OH MY! :rolleyes:

Have I offended your scholarly demeanor? No offense intended, I assure you. My point is that intelligent scholars often disagree. The only way to discern the truth of scripture is with careful analysis of scripture vs. scripture, addressing the perceived inconsistencies and contradictions for resolution. I assert it is possible for those who have no objection to the eventuality of discovering a sovereign to whom they owe allegiance.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Have I offended your scholarly demeanor? No offense intended, I assure you. My point is that intelligent scholars often disagree. The only way to discern the truth of scripture is with careful analysis of scripture vs. scripture, addressing the perceived inconsistencies and contradictions for resolution. I assert it is possible for those who have no objection to the eventuality of discovering a sovereign to whom they owe allegiance.

Logic - says to read both scholars' sides of the argument - then translate from the actual text, compare - and come to a reasonable conclusion.