• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Your Understanding of Oneness?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
How come 'material', do you believe the metaphysical is also in a state of Oneness separately or is still all part of the whole? o_O
Because it seems to me everything has or can/will have a material/physical explanation... though it doesn't matter to much since all is one..

I think most if not all spiritual stuff is gubbly gook invented by men and see nothing to justify a spiritual out look (of course people mean many things and use different language to explain it for example Quintessence and I seem to have a lot of parallels but speak in different terms)

What do you mean by 'metaphysical' ... and why do you think it was important to ask about it?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
What do you mean by 'metaphysical' ... and why do you think it was important to ask about it?
By metaphysical mean stuff that isn't physical, such as Heaven, Hell, afterlife, etc....Asked because interested why you differentiated, when defining your understanding of Oneness. ;)

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
By metaphysical mean stuff that isn't physical, such as Heaven, Hell, afterlife, etc....Asked because interested why you differentiated, when defining your understanding of Oneness. ;)
Those things don't exist and anything in etc that does has a physical explanation.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have difficulty accepting the concept of "oneness" in the context that I think is being presented because how could oneness change if there's nothing else that's influencing it?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What is Your Understanding of Oneness?

Brahman; eternal Consciousness being-bliss-awareness. Individual consciousness is a ray of Brahman in the process of returning to its Source/Oneness.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I have difficulty accepting the concept of "oneness" in the context that I think is being presented because how could oneness change if there's nothing else that's influencing it?
It influences itself through Maya (self-illusion) creating the play/drama of the universe. This is best understood as the creative aspect of the divine without which there would be no changing experience. Perhaps artistic expression is all that is left for pure undifferentiated consciousness to have experience?

Last edited:

wizanda

Premium Member
Where was anything presented? :confused:

There are so many different definitions of Oneness with ancient texts, by different religious groups....Which one are you having difficulty with? :)

metis

It influences itself through Maya (self-illusion) creating the play/drama of the universe. This is best understood as the creative aspect of the divine without which there would be no changing experience. Perhaps artistic expression is all that is left for pure undifferentiated consciousness to have experience?
I am familiar with that teaching, which is fine as a belief, but...

metis

Where was anything presented? :confused:

There are so many different definitions of Oneness with ancient texts, by different religious groups....Which one are you having difficulty with? :)
Basically the concept that all came from some stand-alone source, however named or defined. BTW, your first question I alluded to in my first post here as possibly being variable based on how one defines the term.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I am familiar with that teaching, which is fine as a belief, but...
but, this is not a belief I would have ever have thought up myself......I also believe there are those incarnations that perceive and understand beyond the senses and can tell us about the ultimate nature of reality.....incarnations of highly advanced souls (this is probably the key difference between us seen over several threads; my belief in such incarnations). My detailed knowledge of one such incarnation has removed doubts for me.

wizanda

Premium Member
your first question I alluded to in my first post here as possibly being variable based on how one defines the term.
Yes, get you could be expanding on my view point, which hasn't been discussed in depth on this forum yet.....Which is why i was asking the question, 'what is your understanding of Oneness?' :)

Like just in general, what do you think of Oneness?

Your own understanding, it's not in the debate section, so wasn't asking can you show why you think other peoples ideas of Oneness are flawed. ;)

So from a Jewish perspective, isn't there a Oneness among the community? o_O