• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Your Take on Abortion? Pro-choice, pro-life, or somewhere in the Middle?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
1. A false claim on your behave I believe.
Was "behave" meant to be "behalf?" Because this sentence makes no sense as written.

Substituting "behalf," it's still unclear.
1)It might mean that I'm falsely claiming you made an absolute claim, in which case I quote:
The idea that "life begins at conception" is purely a religiously motivated one....

It is, indeed, religiously appealed.
The use of "purely" makes the statement absolute.

2) Or, it might mean that you're accusing me of lying about my belief that life begins at conception, which is just hubris.

3) Or, it might mean that you disagree with my position, which is fine but irrelevant. My argument is about motive and reasoning, nothing more.

2. Life, as in the soul entering the body.
That's a frequent but unnecessary interpretation of "life," and one that I do not adhere to.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Axis said:
Please cite peer reviewed clinical research that shows "life begins at conception". Of course you won't find any since there is no common consensus among the scientific community.
Really? How many scientists would deny that at conception there is a unique biological life?

You'll forgive us if all we see is a double standard for the sole purpose of politicizing an issue, ie abortion.
If you believe that capital punishment is wrong, you have not only the right, but the duty to attempt to have it no longer sanctioned.

Tumble said:
But is it 'Human Life', or simply 'Potential Human Life'?
It is human life. It is a potential 'Toddler', 'Adolescent', 'Adult'... as those are all stages of development, but it is a human fetus, will be a human toddler, human adolescent, human adult. Its nature as a human does not change because it is less developed than you.

Human reproduction will not produce something that is not human.
Is an egg in a nest a bird? Or a potential bird?
The fertilized egg is avian life.

The pine-cone is life, but it is not yet a tree.
The seed is conifer life.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Was "behave" meant to be "behalf?" Because this sentence makes no sense as written.

Substituting "behalf," it's still unclear.
1)It might mean that I'm falsely claiming you made an absolute claim, in which case I quote:
The use of "purely" makes the statement absolute.

2) Or, it might mean that you're accusing me of lying about my belief that life begins at conception, which is just hubris.

3) Or, it might mean that you disagree with my position, which is fine but irrelevant. My argument is about motive and reasoning, nothing more.

That's a frequent but unnecessary interpretation of "life," and one that I do not adhere to.

Attacking the spelling and grammer is a sure sign one doesn't have anything of substance to argue.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Really? How many scientists would deny that at conception there is a unique biological life?

Then you shouldn't have any troubles fulfilling ym request.

If you believe that capital punishment is wrong, you have not only the right, but the duty to attempt to have it no longer sanctioned.

Murder is murder, there are no "degrees of murder".

If you believe abortion is "murder" and then support capitcal punishment, you are a hypocrit.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Attacking the spelling and grammer is a sure sign one doesn't have anything of substance to argue.
It wasn't an attack. Your error made your post nonsensical. I requested correction.

OTOH, the fact that you would use that as an excuse not to address any of the points I raised is rather telling.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Then you shouldn't have any troubles fulfilling ym request.
I don't have scientific journals for a lot of things readily available...

I could quotes some embryology text books for you though ;)

Murder is murder, there are no "degrees of murder".
According to law, there are...

If you believe abortion is "murder" and then support capitcal punishment, you are a hypocrit.
Not believing that all killing is not murder is not hypocritical. That said, I find myself at times against the death penalty, and at times for it.

Smoke

Done here.
I feel abortion should be illegal in every case except where the death of both mother and child is an almost forgone conclusion... Though I waver on cases of rape.
This seems to me a very odd view.

It would mean that a woman would be legally required to continue a pregnancy which was absolutely certain to kill her, provided there was a chance it could result in a live birth. In the context of such an extreme view, why would you even consider making an exception for cases of rape? And why make an exception if the death of both the woman and the fetus is almost a foregone conclusion?

If you would mandate letting the course of nature or the will of God or the absolute rejection of taking a life, or whatever it is you think much not be violated, work its way toward its grim conclusion in all other cases, what changes when both the woman and the fetus are doomed? If your moral opposition to abortion is so intractable that you would force a woman to die for the chance of a live birth, what makes it okay when a live birth is extremely unlikely? You would be committing the same act either way.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
In the context of such an extreme view, why would you even consider making an exception for cases of rape?
I waver in forcing the consequences of a non-consensual act upon someone.

If your moral opposition to abortion is so intractable that you would force a woman to die for the chance of a live birth, what makes it okay when a live birth is extremely unlikely?
That both would die allows for legal, if not moral, leeway.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
1. A false claim on your behave I believe.

2. Life, as in the soul entering the body.
1. Huh?

2. Please define the term "soul". Then please cite peer reviewed clinical research that shows the "soul" actually exists.
Then perhaps we can get into when it enters the body.

Levite

Higher and Higher
The slain are unique instances of human life. They deserve that most fundamental right, life. No appeal to religion.

I would certainly agree that once a fetus is capable of surviving unassisted outside the womb, it becomes ethically questionable to kill it without good reason. But until a fetus can survive outside the womb without technological intervention, it is a part of the mother's body. It may be "life" but it is simply living tissue and cells, no more decisively independent from the mother's body than any other comparatively benign growth. "Human" is less certain: "potentially human" seems more apt. But to equate a fetus with a living child or a grown person is a personal moral choice, not an objective fact. If you wish to see it that way, I oppose anyone trying to stop you from doing so. But that is your choice. And I can understand why, with those beliefs, you would not want to get an abortion.

But since there is manifestly no clear majority opinion among scientists, doctors, and ethicists about whether, or to what degree, a fetus may be comparable to a delivered child or grown person, that means that your opinion holds no more weight than mine. Therefore, in a secular democracy, the just solution is to leave debatable personal moral paradigms personal and individual, and not to force them on one another by means of the law.

My reason for being against your opinion is that I am assuming you would also vote against a person's right to murder someone else, or against a person's right to wantonly slaughter animals. So why then would you not also vote against the taking of the life of the fetus (be it human or not)?

Other people and animals are not inside another person's body, and parasitically dependant upon that other person's body. If they were so, I would vote that individuals have the right to decide whether or not they wanted other people or animals to reside inside their bodies and live off them.

Smoke

Done here.
I waver in forcing the consequences of a non-consensual act upon someone.
Is this about the "life" you can't take, or about how much sympathy you have for the woman? An "innocent" woman may "murder her child," but a "guilty" woman may not?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The whole things ridiculous..a woman on hormonal birth control can actually conceive every month .
If your going to pick on women who have abortions then pick on women who use hormonal birth control"..

As far as "guilt or innocence".

Love

Dallas

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Levite said:
It may be "life" but it is simply living tissue and cells, no more decisively independent from the mother's body than any other comparatively benign growth.
It may be dependent on the mother for the sustaining of life, but it is a unique organism.

"Human" is less certain: "potentially human" seems more apt.
No, it is not. The offspring of humans is human. Different levels of development do not change what an organism fundamentally is.

Fetus, Adolescent, Adult, all are stages of human development. Just as a tadpole is not a bullfrog, but both are R. catesbeiana. All human stages, while not being each other, are H. sapiens.

But to equate a fetus with a living child or a grown person is a personal moral choice, not an objective fact.
That the three are all human is an objective fact.

But since there is manifestly no clear majority opinion among scientists, doctors, and ethicists about whether, or to what degree, a fetus may be comparable to a delivered child or grown person, that means that your opinion holds no more weight than mine. Therefore, in a secular democracy, the just solution is to leave debatable personal moral paradigms personal and individual, and not to force them on one another by means of the law.
Even were I to accept you proposition that it is questionable whether humans produce human offspring, the just solution would be to err on the side of life.

Smoke said:
That doesn't answer the question. If you feel comfortable imposing your personal moral code on a woman even if she'll die as a result, why back off in this case?
That I would feel less comfortable enforcing a measure meant to save the life of an unborn child when the goal of the measure is futile.

Is this about the "life" you can't take, or about how much sympathy you have for the woman? An "innocent" woman may "murder her child," but a "guilty" woman may not?
A woman under the duress of being raped, then adding to it finding out she is carrying the rapist's child, may not be held accountable for certain actions...

Sententia

My reason for being against your opinion is that I am assuming you would also vote against a person's right to murder someone else, or against a person's right to wantonly slaughter animals.

So why then would you not also vote against the taking of the life of the fetus (be it human or not)?

There is a way to logically reach morality. However logic changes depending on the premises one starts with.

Most people use emotion rather than logic to determine what is moral.

You're right. I was not clear. I see morality as being situational. An action is only immoral or moral within a specific context. So abortion in the context of the sole desire of the woman is wrong in my opinion, as is abortion when a woman has no means to provide for a child.

However, I am not against abortion to save the woman's life. I believe in situational morality. Rather than black and white always right always wrong moral principles.

You're right. I did not say that it is always wrong and always immoral, but I implied that. I was not clear in my communication. I apologize for insulting your ability to read.

I did not and have not stated or supported the position that abortion is never moral. I said that abortion is wrong. I didn't say always, but I realize that the implication was that I meant always. I apologize for that.

My point with that is that we can reach morality through logic, but not everyone agrees with that or uses logic to find morality. Therefore we must account for that.

Bravo. So lets cull down to where I think we disagree.

I believe there is a scientific moral position that does not vary from person to person or culture to culture. Universally I think in many cases that it is obvious. To take one example from the video: Lets say there is a failed city trying to recover and get back on its feet. Would poisoning the water supply of said city today be moral? Would its morality vary from culture to culture or from person to person? I would say no... its wrong. If someone did that then they acted immorally.

However lets look at your argument that it could be ok if their social contract says its ok. Let say poisoning water supplies was culturally acceptable to some bizarre country. (Crazysadistica) Lets paint it... they believe in a god that judges people by letting them live when exposed to some poison they believe is spiritually connected to her. By spreading this poison they are inadvertently doing her will and thus their social contract allows such nefarious acts.

Regardless of what they believe or their motivations the act is still immoral. Its wrong.

To quote Sam a bit on this subject:

Sam Harris said:
to speak about the conditions of well being in this life, for human beings, we know that there is a continuum of such facts. We know that it's possible to live in a failed state, where everything that can go wrong does go wrong -- where mothers can not feed their children, where strangers can not find the basis for peaceful collaboration, where people are murdered indiscriminately. And we know that it's possible to move along this continuum, towards something quite a bit more idyllic, to a place where a conference like this is even conceivable.

And we know -- we know -- that there are right and wrong answers to how to move in this space. Would adding cholera to the water be a good idea? Probably not. Would it be a good idea for everyone to believe in the evil eye, so that when bad things happened to them they immediately blame their neighbors? Probably not. There are truths to be known about how human communities flourish, whether or not we understand these truths. And morality relates to these truths.

So, in talking about values we are talking about facts.
Now, our situation in the world can be understood at many levels -- ranging from the level of the genome on up to the level of economic systems and political arrangements.

There is an unbiased answer to this question that is either right or wrong no matter what you believe or think. You can be on the side that says it may have been moral to poison this failed state... perhaps you were just putting a suffering people out of their misery... you were doing gods work... or you can be on the side of those that think poisoning the water supply of a failed state is morally wrong.

Abortion is more complicated to be sure. Really arguing this point is bound to make others question other values they already hold. When you do that you touch on personal values that many people don't know how to express.

For example... lets say you argue a fetus is not a person. Its in its fourth week, its not citizen and as a developing human it is still not yet a human yet. It has the potential to be a human but its not a human yet. It will be.

This is argument tends to get out of hand and you will end going down a path where the arguments become irrational.

Is being a human what you want to argue? If we meet an alien race as intelligent and as conscious as any human but that is by definition not human or even from earth - is killing them now morally justified because they're not human?

Clearly not... They are intelligent and wantonly killing them would to me obviously be immoral.

However... Could it be intelligence? Whats the threshold? Is killing a single ant or fly morally justified because it doesn't meet some level of intelligence but killing a dog not so because a dog is smarter? Hmm this sounds promising... should we argue along these lines?

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher
It may be dependent on the mother for the sustaining of life, but it is a unique organism.

In your opinion. I believe it is not a unique organism until it is outside the womb and surviving independently.

No, it is not. The offspring of humans is human. Different levels of development do not change what an organism fundamentally is.

When I say not "human," I don't mean it is not human tissue, or that, if permitted to come to term, it will not become human. But until it has come to term and been born, it is no more a "person" than an egg is a chicken.

Fetus, Adolescent, Adult, all are stages of human development. Just as a tadpole is not a bullfrog, but both are R. catesbeiana. All human stages, while not being each other, are H. sapiens.

All right; let's use the term "person," then. A fetus may be a stage in human development, but if it does not come to term, it is human tissue in the process of development that never became a person.

That the three are all human is an objective fact.

If you care to look at it that way. But only two are people. And the fetus isn't one of them.

Even were I to accept you proposition that it is questionable whether humans produce human offspring, the just solution would be to err on the side of life.

In your opinion. Which, as I pointed out, has no more objective basis than mine. So considering that, the law should be flexible, and individuals can be strict. What I say again is that if one doesn't believe in abortions, it is very easy not to get them.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
In your opinion. I believe it is not a unique organism until it is outside the womb and surviving independently.
I'm speaking of science, not opinion.

Of course, dehumanisation is a historically proven tactic to make killing more palatable.

When I say not "human," I don't mean it is not human tissue, or that, if permitted to come to term, it will not become human. But until it has come to term and been born, it is no more a "person" than an egg is a chicken.
Whatever a "person" is...

All right; let's use the term "person,"
How are we to determine personhood? Is there an objective measure?

In your opinion. Which, as I pointed out, has no more objective basis than mine. So considering that, the law should be flexible, and individuals can be strict.
What makes the issue of abortion different from, say, theft? Why is our non-objective opinion to make theft illegal acceptable, but not one to make abortion so?

What I say again is that if one doesn't believe in abortions, it is very easy not to get them.
If you don't believe in murder, it is very easy not to murder. Why should your statement mean anything more than that?

I want to stop people from killing their neighbors.
I want to stop people from stealing.
I want to stop people from raping.
I want to stop people from aborting their pregnancies.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I understand what he means by the human tissue is no more a person then an egg is a chicken. People eat chicken eggs all the time, even chickens eat their own eggs, and it obviously isn't a chicken, it hasn't developed.

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
I think all human life should get a chance to live their life. What gives you the right to kill another person?