• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Your Take on Abortion? Pro-choice, pro-life, or somewhere in the Middle?

Walkntune

I ask if i sneak into a delivery room and take a sharp object and jab it into the baby before it is delivered, should I be charged for murder? If so, why should the doctor and mother not be charged for the very same crime just because they consent?

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Ultimately, I don't believe in "human rights". Therefore there is no woman's right "to her body."

In general, I believe that life should be preserved when possible and only taken when necessary. Therefore the unnecessary taking of life is morally wrong from my standpoint.

Abortion because the woman does not want a child is murder in my opinion.
Abortion because the woman had sex, but yet does not have the means to support a child is reckless endangerment and criminally negligent homicide in my opinion.

Really the only case where I see abortion as being OK is if the life of the baby is putting the mother's life in danger.

Any other scenario and it's the woman's fault because she should know better and have the personal responsibility to accept the consequences of her actions.

Smoke

Done here.
Extremely pro-choice. More pro-choice than anybody you know.

I think abortion is tragic and often immoral, but I am firmly convinced that it's no business of the state to compel a woman to carry a pregnancy to term against her will.

I don't believe it even matters if the fetus is a person. No person has the right to live inside another person against her will, and the state has no more right to compel the use of a woman's womb than it has to compel you to give me a kidney.

Sententia

I ask if i sneak into a delivery room and take a sharp object and jab it into the baby before it is delivered, should I be charged for murder? If so, why should the doctor and mother not be charged for the very same crime just because they consent?

Because thats what abortion is... people sneaking into a delivery room and stabbing babies that are about to be born. Can I call you out on hate crime? Inciting violence? Mindless trolling?

Yes or no? Because that crap you wrote is hateful, unchristian and more importantly devoid of moral character.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Extremely pro-choice. More pro-choice than anybody you know.

I think abortion is tragic and often immoral, but I am firmly convinced that it's no business of the state to compel a woman to carry a pregnancy to term against her will.

I don't believe it even matters if the fetus is a person. No person has the right to live inside another person against her will, and the state has no more right to compel the use of a woman's womb than it has to compel you to give me a kidney.

So then I guess a child has no right to live inside of its parent's house against their will? Eat their food against their will? Live totally dependent on them against their will? Might as well let people kill their unwanted children that they do end up carrying to term.

Because thats what abortion is... people sneaking into a delivery room and stabbing babies that are about to be born. Can I call you out on hate crime? Inciting violence? Mindless trolling?

Yes or no? Because that crap you wrote is hateful, unchristian and more importantly devoid of moral character.

How is it hateful? He asked two questions (possibly rhetorical, possibly not). There was no hate involved.

Walkntune

Well good , you got my point that its immoral and murder even though you tried to spin it.
I had to show the reality of the scenario!

Because that crap you wrote is hateful, unchristian and more importantly devoid of moral character.
My thoughts of abortion exactly!
I am glad we agree!

Last edited:

Sententia

Well good , you got my point that its immoral and murder even though you tried to spin it.

The point presented was to me a frank admission of you being immoral and one who should never be in charge of such decisions. There was no spin mate. Your demonstration of how much you lack in understanding in this field is only exceeded by your desire to judge the actions or future actions of others of which you have neither the right nor capability to do so. :)

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I am in the middle. I see certain types of abortions as immoral, but ultimately, I have no right to legislate my views on a woman's constitutional right to choose. I do think a woman just not wanting it and choosing abortion is wrong, but it's none of my business.

Rainbow Mage

And I realize abortion isn't a black and white issue either. There are times I'd call abortions perfectly ethical.

People own their own bodies.

A concert pianist has been diagnosed with a terminal illness, the only cure for which is to be hooked up to your blood supply (and only yours, specifically) for 9 months, with attendant hormonal changes to you, risks to your health, etc. etc. If you refuse the treatment, or stop before the 9 months is over, the pianist will die.

Should we, as a society, be able to compel you to submit to this against your will?

To me the answer is quite obviously no.

prometheuspan

feral satyr
i am all in favor for doing what can be done sanely to prevent abortion.

economic social justice being primary amongst the vectors that can be addressed.

reproductive fascism... not.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I am in the middle. I see certain types of abortions as immoral, but ultimately, I have no right to legislate my views on a woman's constitutional right to choose. I do think a woman just not wanting it and choosing abortion is wrong, but it's none of my business.

Why do people think that way? We legislate our views on other people's rights to do what they want to do ALL THE TIME. You get angry at me and want to kill me, society decides you don't have that right. You want to buy something but don't have the money so you want to steal it; society decides you don't have that right. You see a pretty lady and want to have sex with her, so you want to rape her because she doesn't want to have sex with you; Society decides you do not have that right.

Law-making, enforcing rules and having a legal structure in a social contract system (like America's) means that you have a fundamental right, as a member of the social contract , to state what you believe the terms of said social contract should be. That means that when you vote, you should vote for what is in your best interest and for what most lines up with your personal opinion.

Consideration of others' rights, while noble, isn't necessary. Neither is lack of said consideration immoral.

Walkntune

The point presented was to me a frank admission of you being immoral and one who should never be in charge of such decisions. There was no spin mate. Your demonstration of how much you lack in understanding in this field is only exceeded by your desire to judge the actions or future actions of others of which you have neither the right nor capability to do so. :)
If you can't see the point in hand , maybe you should read it tomorrow when you are better rested!

Rainbow Mage

Knight the point is, it's not my business if a woman wants to have an abortion, or yours. She will have to take full responsibility for that, and we have to work out our own salvation. You catch my drift?

Smoke

Done here.
So then I guess a child has no right to live inside of its parent's house against their will? Eat their food against their will? Live totally dependent on them against their will?
Of course they have no such right. If they did, every adopted child could go back and sue his birth parents.

But I wouldn't have posted at all if I'd realized this was a debate thread. I've said everything I have to say on the subject plenty of times, and I'm not interested in rehashing it right now.

Rainbow Mage

God will sort em out?

I don't know what God will do. That is not my decision to make. Regardless, there are consequences one faces in life from abortions, some have regrets and feel sorry they ever did it years later, but they can't undo it.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Knight the point is, it's not my business if a woman wants to have an abortion, or yours. She will have to take full responsibility for that, and we have to work out our own salvation. You catch my drift?

So then is it also not your business if I decide to murder my newborn baby because he cries too much? After all, I will have to take full responsibility for that and I have to work our my own salvation.

Is that your drift?

Of course they have no such right. If they did, every adopted child could go back and sue his birth parents.

But I wouldn't have posted at all if I'd realized this was a debate thread. I've said everything I have to say on the subject plenty of times, and I'm not interested in rehashing it right now.

Fair enough.