• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your short story or one sentence, Why Do You love God?

Ajax

Have you considered that you don't understand what was being said and perhaps the meaning eludes you?
I can understand very well, because I'm fluent in ancient and modern Greek and can compare versions.
Paul, has written 3 different ways of salvation, i.e. by a) determinism b) faith alone (not by works, so that no one can boast) and c) by obeying the Law.
Paul's intention was to spread the new religion to as many Gentiles (and Jews) as possible, thus his epistles had a "gift" for everyone's beliefs , but his main bait was that faith alone saves, which caused a major disagreement with the disciples. Gentiles did not want Mosaic Law and rituals, so the "faith only saves" was welcomed by them.
"Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some." (Rom 9:19-22)
"But if through my lie God’s truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner?" (Rom 3:7)

Have you considered that you don't understand who Paul was?

Last edited:

Ajax

You know this how?
The canonical books of the Christian Bible were enumerated and approved by various councils, synods, and popes of the Catholic Church, beginning with the Council of Rome in 382 A.D.
Another proof of what I wrote is correct, is that the number of books in the Bible varies between 66 and 81 books, depending on the denomination.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The canonical books of the Christian Bible were enumerated and approved by various councils, synods, and popes of the Catholic Church, beginning with the Council of Rome in 382 A.D.
Another proof of what I wrote is correct, is that the number of books in the Bible varies between 66 and 81 books, depending on the denomination.
What the catholic church or various denominations assert does not mean it's from God or Jesus. I have come to understand and believe that only God can lead a person to understand who He is and what He intends to do.

YoursTrue

I can understand very well, because I'm fluent in ancient and modern Greek and can compare versions.
Paul, has written 3 different ways of salvation, i.e. by a) determinism b) faith alone (not by works, so that no one can boast) and c) by obeying the Law.
Paul's intention was to spread the new religion to as many Gentiles (and Jews) as possible, thus his epistles had a "gift" for everyone's beliefs , but his main bait was that faith alone saves, which caused a major disagreement with the disciples. Gentiles did not want Mosaic Law and rituals, so the "faith only saves" was welcomed by them.
"Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some." (Rom 9:19-22)
"But if through my lie God’s truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner?" (Rom 3:7)

Have you considered that you don't understand who Paul was?
I understand what he said about himself in the Bible. I believe it, too.

Ajax

What the catholic church or various denominations assert does not mean it's from God or Jesus. I have come to understand and believe that only God can lead a person to understand who He is and what He intends to do.
I never said that the chosen books were from God or Jesus. I claimed the opposite. You asked me how do I know that God had nothing to do with the chosen scripture and that it was ordinary men who chose the books of the scripture.
And I replied to you.

How can God lead a person to understand who He is and what He intends to do?
If you claim it is through the Spirit, I can inform you that all 45,000+ Christian denominations claim exactly the same thing. Only one or none can be right.

YoursTrue

I presume you mean if I believe in the Christian God. I used to, but since studied the Bible for 4 years, I became an agnostic. I don't know if there is God. However I'm 99.99% certain that the God of the Old Testament can not exist. He contradicts most, if not all attributes of God.
You do realize there is the account in the Bible of ones that were faithful to God and those that were not, right? Including the kings. Some of whom were faithful worshippers and some who were not. I can only tell you how much my life changed for the better since I studied the Bible and became a Christian as I believe God wants Christian people to be. But that's me and obviously is not your experience.

YoursTrue

I never said that the chosen books were from God or Jesus. I claimed the opposite. You asked me how do I know that God had nothing to do with the chosen scripture and that it was ordinary men who chose the books of the scripture.
And I replied to you.

I do not think you said the inclusion of the various books of various sorts were from God. Because there would be no difference of choosing which books were to be included. Yes, I asked you how you know it was ordinary men. Now while we can argue this and I don't wish to, yes, some men were not of high station and others were.
Only God's spirit can give a person the gift of faith.

Ajax

You do realize there is the account in the Bible of ones that were faithful to God and those that were not, right? Including the kings. Some of whom were faithful worshippers and some who were not. I can only tell you how much my life changed for the better since I studied the Bible and became a Christian as I believe God wants Christian people to be. But that's me and obviously is not your experience.
Yes, I realize that, but will give you a small example. In 1 Chronicles 28:6-7, God declared to David "Solomon your son is the one who will build my house and my courts, for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.7 I will establish his kingdom forever if he is unswerving in carrying out my commands and laws, as is being done at this time."
Solomon failed God. Didn't God know that Solomon would fail? If he did (as omniscient He is) why did he say these words to David?
Which actually is one of the many reasons why Jesus can not be the Messiah, according to Jews.

I'm glad that Christianity changed your life for the better.

YoursTrue

And I replied to you.

If you claim it is through the Spirit, I can inform you that all 45,000+ Christian denominations claim exactly the same thing. Only one or none can be right.
Again... God's spirit has power to gather the sheep. Unfortunately it seems that Satan is also powerful and can mislead people. Because to me some things are obvious even though not beheld by the physical eye.

YoursTrue

Yes, I realize that, but will give you a small example. In 1 Chronicles 28:6-7, God declared to David "Solomon your son is the one who will build my house and my courts, for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.7 I will establish his kingdom forever if he is unswerving in carrying out my commands and laws, as is being done at this time."
Solomon failed God. Didn't God know that Solomon would fail? If he did (as omniscient He is) why did he say these words to David?
Which actually is one of the many reasons why Jesus can not be the Messiah.
Omniscience is quite another subject. God can see or not see what He chooses. That is a simple answer but since God is God the Almighty maker of heavens and earth, He sets boundaries. This may seem like a simplistic answer but think about it. Almighty God can decide what He wants to tell others. He also can decide what He personally wants to know in advance. He is God the Almighty. Does that mean our precise outcomes are prescribed in terms of salvation? No. Otherwise there would be no personal choice on our parts. Take care, thank you for discussion. Later perhaps.

Ajax

Omniscience is quite another subject. God can see or not see what He chooses. That is a simple answer but since God is God the Almighty maker of heavens and earth, He sets boundaries. This may seem like a simplistic answer but think about it. Almighty God can decide what He wants to tell others. He also can decide what He personally wants to know in advance. He is God the Almighty. Does that mean our precise outcomes are prescribed in terms of salvation? No. Otherwise there would be no personal choice on our parts. Take care, thank you for discussion. Later perhaps.
I can not agree with this but thank you too. Perhaps we can discuss this another time. Take care.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
the God of the Old Testament can not exist. He contradicts most, if not all attributes of God.
Sorry, I’m coming into this conversation late.

In what ways?

Would you agree the Apostle John knew the Scriptures?
Yet he said “God is love.” — 1 John 4:8.

He could honestly say this, because he understood certain truths about Jehovah God & His Word that are overlooked & aren’t taught to most people today.

However, false doctrine is rampant.

Ajax

Sorry, I’m coming into this conversation late.
No problem.
In what ways?
God's attributes like omniscience, omnipotence, graciousness, goodness, immutability (can not change), impeccability and love among others, are destroyed in the OT. The primitive writers of the OT didn't have the slightest idea of what God is supposed to be, despite claiming that He was always talking to them. The OT was written to give Jewish people a sense of superiority, an ethnic character and a set of social rules.
If you buy a book and it contains one or two lies, you throw it in the bin. What should you do if you find hundreds of falsehoods?
Would you agree the Apostle John knew the Scriptures?
Yet he said “God is love.” — 1 John 4:8.

He could honestly say this, because he understood certain truths about Jehovah God & His Word that are overlooked & aren’t taught to most people today.
No I don't, because John was an illiterate fisherman, so it was impossible for him to have studied the scriptures (Acts 4:13).
For this reason it is almost certain that he did not write the gospel according to John. There is however a possibility that John's followers (Johannine community) had some oral information, which they formed and constructed it in the gospel's current form.

Last edited:

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
Sorry, modern scholarship generally views Abraham as a mythological figure.
That's okay, others in the Bible do not view Abraham as a mythological figure.

1 Chron. 1:28, Joshua 24:2, 14, 15, Genesis 14:22, Acts 7:2-4, Nehemiah 9:7, Genesis 11:31, Genesis 12:6, Genesis 18:16–21:7 And more..

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
…the God of the Old Testament … contradicts most, if not all attributes of God.
If you claim there’s torment after death, then I could understand your view. But that concept is not Biblical.

Those teachings were brought into “the Church” by design …. by the “enemy” that Jesus mentioned in Matthew 13:25, the “evil one” in Matthew 13:19.

Jesus’ prophetic words at Matthew 7:21-23…obviously, those performing “powerful works,” like “expelling demons,” wasn’t with Jesus’ support. So who was / is behind these powerful works?

The same one identified in Job 1, who accused Job and brought suffering against him.

The same one in Exodus 7, who enabled Pharaoh’s magic priests to turn their staffs into snakes.

The one whom the Bible states “is misleading the entire inhabited earth” (Revelation 12:9,12); he’s doing a good job, isn’t he?