• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your position in the Political Spectrum?

What is your position in Political Spectrum?

• Far Right

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Center Right

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Center

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Center Left

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Far Left

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My results on the test was:

Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62

On the chart, I was in roughly the middle of the lower left square (more libertarian and to the left), almost exactly where Gandhi and the Dalai Lama would be located. No surprise-- read my signature.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It really isn't that simple.

Very few ideologies fit into a linear spectrum, especially when the two major parties in the US can be accurately described as far-right and center-right. If you spend a bit of time here you're going to find that we're a bunch that likes to break down terms and actually look into the ideas behind then, and that doesn't make using the "left-right" spectrum very helpful.

Most tools for political analysis that I've seen have gone to a quadrant-style graph that use both economic and social scales to place ideologies, and it tends to offer a more accurate measurement:

internationalchart.png

Here's a link to that site if you'd like to take the test: The Political Compass

I'm a fair bit southwest of the Dalai Lama on that scale.

I can't stand that test, since it's so biased.

Last time I took it, I was in the extreme lower left corner.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can't stand that test, since it's so biased.
Last time I took it, I was in the extreme lower left corner.
I recall that there were very few of us in the lower right (purple) corner.
Your quadrant is more populated, but we have Milton Friedman's ghost in ours.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is a new questionnaire to me - many more good questions than the original.

I'm a moderate left libertarian which seems correct to me.

Economic Left/Right: -3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted "Far Left" because that's the category my views fall under where I am. Even most self-described left-wingers here would disagree with me on a lot of my views because they consider most of them "too liberal."

It really isn't that simple.

Very few ideologies fit into a linear spectrum, especially when the two major parties in the US can be accurately described as far-right and center-right. If you spend a bit of time here you're going to find that we're a bunch that likes to break down terms and actually look into the ideas behind then, and that doesn't make using the "left-right" spectrum very helpful.

Most tools for political analysis that I've seen have gone to a quadrant-style graph that use both economic and social scales to place ideologies, and it tends to offer a more accurate measurement:

internationalchart.png

Here's a link to that site if you'd like to take the test: The Political Compass

I'm a fair bit southwest of the Dalai Lama on that scale.

These are my results on that test:

Economic Left/Right: -6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87

pcgraphpng.php

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well, that's my results...

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87

pcgraphpng.php

I say that's not too bad of a test. Fairly accurate.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

If it puts the leader of the Labour Party as a rightist, I presume this test is USian. It puts me on the line midway between Libertarian and Authoritarian, but as Left as Chavez — an odd position for an admirer of Margaret Thatcher!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If it puts the leader of the Labour Party as a rightist, I presume this test is USian. It puts me on the line midway between Libertarian and Authoritarian, but as Left as Chavez — an odd position for an admirer of Margaret Thatcher!

When someone gets a result that does not fit with his or her self-image, the question is always why. Country could be one reason. Or maybe you admire Margaret Thatcher for particular reasons which the test did not ask?

GoodbyeDave

It's as I said. The web site belongs to a US newspaper, and the political concepts of the US are very different to those of Europe. And if they put the British Conservative and Labour parties close together, or Angela Merkel to the right of David Cameron, then they don't understand Europe.

Phil25

It's as I said. The web site belongs to a US newspaper, and the political concepts of the US are very different to those of Europe. And if they put the British Conservative and Labour parties close together, or Angela Merkel to the right of David Cameron, then they don't understand Europe.

Exactly, I dont think it is accurate either. Obama, Romney, and Miliband are next to each other even though their views are vastly different.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Exactly, I dont think it is accurate either. Obama, Romney, and Miliband are next to each other even though their views are vastly different.
Good point. I don't think anyone outside of the far left would put President Obama where they have him.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The Nolan chart puts me at borderline liberal and libertarian, with the star being just far enough on the liberal side to be considered liberal.
On the British Political compass (which really needs a "neither agree nor disagree) I'm still way down on the lower-left corner.
I was going to do Pournelle's chart, but I couldn't find a place to take it.