• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Your Opinion On Marijuana?

Rakhel

The only negative effect that I have ever experienced, all second-hand, are headaches from some of the more nasty smelling stuff.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it should be legal, with similar laws regulating it as the laws that regulate alcohol. As in, only for adults and only in cases where it's safe.

-Cigarettes are unhealthy and don't really have much of a responsible use.

-Alcohol can be responsibly consumed in moderation but has all sorts of nasty affects in people that consume too much of it. This can include violence, addiction, DUI, bad decisions, or death from overdose.

-By most accounts marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol on practically all of those variables.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Several posts in this thread have been deleted and the thread has been reopened for posting.

Please refrain from discussing personal participation in illegal activities, and keep Rule 6 in mind while posting:

6. Illegal Activities
Encouragement of others to participate in any activity that is illegal under U.S. laws is prohibited. This includes the use of illegal drugs, infringement of intellectual property rights, all violent crimes, terrorism and any/all criminal activities. Mentioning of engagement in any illegal activity, such as the above or others is also prohibited. Religious allowances are not basis for exemption from moderation. Members are only allowed in some cases to mention their engagement in activities that are illegal under U.S. laws if said activities are not illegal in the member's own country/state.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Marijuana should be legalized, regulated and taxed just like tobacco and alcohol (both of which are significantly more addicting and harmful than marijuana, anyway).

Freedom, it's a good thing.

Last edited:

no-body

Mostly harmless.

Depends on:

1. Mentality of the person using it
2. Type of cannabis - some types are heavily narcotic. A powerful indica will put most people out of commission for hours. Day-wrecker.

Yes, this. I get tired of the pot head rhetoric that cannabis is from the earth and that it will never hurt anyone. Other ridiculous arguments like we shouldn't bar people from being high and driving because it doesn't impair you is the reason it will probably never be legal this century.

I have used cannabis (legally) for medicinal purposes and I hated every minute of it. My body and mind cannot tolerate it in any way, shape or form.

That said it should be legal to anyone over 21 that wants it, it is ridiculous that a plant is illegal. To certain types of people it is a gift from God that has only positive effects both medically and spiritually. Sadly I am not one of those people, but I don't want to ruin everyone else buzz just because I get no positive effects from it.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I believe marijuana to be a harmless plant.

It does make you high, but not incompetent.

Marijuanas legal status is based on racial slander as opposed to scientific fact.

There are no deaths related to marijuana overdose.

Marijuana is no more of a gateway drug than cigarettes and beer if they were put on the black market.

Hemp is a great natural resource.

Marijuana is found to have more medicinal purposes than various pharmaceuticals and with less side effects.

Marijuana costs no more than a pack of cigarettes to manufacture. A pack of cigarettes weighs about 1oz. 1oz of marijuana costs 80-120 for the lowest grade of quality on the black market.

Kids should not have access to it, it should be over 18-21.

I'm just curious of your thoughts ad opinions.

I share all the above opinions, except that I think that both alcohol and marijuana should have the legal age of 16 attached to them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Regarding the thread title: I think marijuana is great, except when used for recreative purposes.

Then I get real, real incensed (pun not intended). I don't think I have ever met anyone with significantly less sympathy for recreational hemp than myself.

I'm like that. I don't very easily deal with the idea that recreational drugs even exist.

somethingNiftyhere

Squadoosh 1@ATime

Marijuanas legal status is based on racial slander as opposed to scientific fact.

Marijuana is no more of a gateway drug than cigarettes and beer if they were put on the black market.

Marijuana is found to have more medicinal purposes than various pharmaceuticals and with less side effects.

Marijuana costs no more than a pack of cigarettes to manufacture. A pack of cigarettes weighs about 1oz. 1oz of marijuana costs 80-120 for the lowest grade of quality on the black market.

This past election two States legalized Marijuana for recreational use. Washington and Colorado.
I think pot should be legal and packaged like unto cigarettes. And the same age restrictions should be applied for purchase, and the same restrictions for alcohol for use. (Not while driving, etc..)

The tax money would do a world of good for the States.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
More or less true; what are the motives behind the racial slander used as one of the primary incentives to criminalization?
1910: “Marihuana is the most frightening and vicious drug ever to hit New Orleans.” —New Orleans Public Safety Commission
1920s: “Makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.” —H.J. Anslinger, Bureau of Narcotics
1930: “Marihuana is responsible for the raping of white women by crazed negroes.” —Hearst Newspapers Nationwide

1932: “Hasheesh goads users to blood lust.” —Hearst Newspapers
1935: “Marihuana influenced negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men’s shadows, and look at a white woman twice.” —Hearst Newspapers
1937: “Marihuana is the most violent drug in the history of mankind.” —Congressional Testimony, H.J. Anslinger, FBN
1938: “Marihuana is more dangerous than heroin or cocaine.” —Anslinger, Scientific American, May, 1938
1938: “If the hideous monster of Frankenstein came face to face with marihuana, he would drop dead of fright.” —Anslinger, FBN, quoted in Hearst newspaper
1937-50: “Negro entertainers with their jazz and swing music are declared an outgrowth of marihuana use which possesses white women to tap their feet.” —statements to Congress by Anslinger, FBN
1945: “More harmful than habit-forming opium, inducing fits of temporary insanity.” —Newsweek, 1-15-45
1946: “Marihuana is an important cause of crime.” —Bureau of Narcotics, Newsweek, 11-18-46
1948: “Marihuana leads to pacifism and Communist brainwashing.” —Anslinger, before Congress
1973: “Marijuana increases breast size in males.”
1974: “Permanent brain damage is one of the inevitable results of the use of marijuana.” —Ronald Reagan, LA Times
1974: “interferes with reproduction, disease resistance, and basic biological processes.” —Daily Oklahoman, 11-19-74
1980: “Marijuana leads to harder drugs.” —Reagan Administration
1985: “Marijuana use makes you sterile.” —Reagan Administration
1980s: “Marijuana leads to heroin; marijuana causes brain damage.” —the 17-week D.A.R.E. Program
1986: “Marijuana leads to homosexuality, the breakdown of the immune system, and therefore to AIDS.” —Carlton Turner
1990: “Marijuana makes you lazy.” —Partnership for a Drug-Free America
1992: “Marijuana is ten times more dangerous than 20 years ago.” —Presidential Candidate Bill Clinton
the authorized on-line version of Jack Herer’s “The Emperor Wears No Clothes”
text from “The Emperor Wears No Clothes” © Jack Herer
Marijuana and Racism

My thoughts are legalize it and treat it like alcohol and tobacco. It is nice though, two states legalizing and more and more states decriminalizing it. Indiana is even looking at decriminalizing ten grams next session.

F0uad

Why not follow the legal system of Holland? People in America are even jailed if they smoke a single joint or are caught with one. Being caught 3 times and you can serve your whole life... Nice justice system.

apophenia

Why not follow the legal system of Holland? People in America are even jailed if they smoke a single joint or are caught with one. Being caught 3 times and you can serve your whole life... Nice justice system.

Not really a justice system - it is actually big business. Prisons are now privatised and use the inmates as dirt-cheap labor for manufacturing. An example of their customers - the US military. Lots of gear used by the army is manufactured by those slaves of the 'justice system'.

If you can find Timothy Leary's book "Neuropolitics", read the essay 'The Outlaw Industry'.

It's all about money, and careers in the correctional system, the legal system, social welfare system and so forth. Those juvenile delinquents are a gold mine !

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Weed should be mandatory.

I propose that all drugs should be mandatory so that people just shut up and mind their own business.

Upon turning 15, every American citizen shall be required to drink a Redbull (or Monster) and eat cake so that they realize that inconspicuous drugs like caffeine and theobromine still count. From there psychedelics shall be introduced, starting with weed and culminating in acid.

Now things get dirty. We start to introduce drugs with the potential to overdose. We'll start small: beer, wine, and ecstasy. Then liquor and cocaine.

Upon reaching 18, all adults must register with the selective service by trying methamphetamine, heroin, and tobacco.

Huey09

He who struggles with God
I feel that weed should be decriminalized, after all making potheads sounds as dangerous as the Colombian Cocaina is ridiculous but as for the legalization? I'm on the fence because I just don't trust the gov like that. Look what they did to tobacco all these pesticides and fiber glass and nicotene? No thank you

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I don't think I'd call marijuana harmless, as with any "substance", if abused, it can have an adverse impact on one's life. I've known a lot of pot heads who spend what little money they have on weed and spend the majority of their time high, incapable of holding a job for this reason. "Harm" isn't always physical.

I'm sure there are undocumented deaths related to marijuana abuse. I don't agree with comments made that it doesn't impair driving as it certainly messes with your depth perception and, unlike alcohol, can have hallucinogenic impact on certain people.

Let's be honest...marijuana is a drug and if legalized (which I fully support), would be used primarily for the purpose of getting high and for general, recreational enjoyment.

With this said, I think it's perfectly reasonable to legalize it, regulate it and implement the same type of punishments that exist with (illegal) alcohol consumption, distribution to minors, operating machinery while under the influence, etc.

Last edited: