• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Your Opinion On Marijuana?

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Interestingly, while the normal drinking age is 19 in most of Canada, the drinking age at pubs on Canadian Forces bases is 18 for service members. If you're entrusted with deadly weapons to protect your country, you can have a beer when you're off duty.

Amen brother!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The real question is if whether,if it became legalized, how much people would abuse the right to indulge. How many people would suddenly think it was "o.k." to be high all the time.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
What is different about that compared to any other indulgence, though? The object has little to do with the susceptibility of people with addictive personalities. Since we know the substance is not physically addictive, it's about the user's inclinations, I suspect.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What is different about that compared to any other indulgence, though? The object has little to do with the susceptibility of people with addictive personalities. Since we know the substance is not physically addictive, it's about the user's inclinations, I suspect.

More people might be inclined to take up heavy usage of marijuana, if legalized. People who don't drink alcohol etc.
That's the argument, anyway.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
The real question is if whether,if it became legalized, how much people would abuse the right to indulge. How many people would suddenly think it was "o.k." to be high all the time.

How many people think it's ok to be drunk all the time?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What I am trying to understand is, why does one believe that someone who doesn't drink, would suddenly use marijuana to excess, as was suggested?

You mentioned addictive personalities. Marijuana might be viewed as an alternative.
I don't think the argument is unfounded, regardless on my position of whether marijuana should be legalized.

apophenia

You mentioned addictive personalities. Marijuana might be viewed as an alternative.
I don't think the argument is unfounded, regardless on my position of whether marijuana should be legalized.

But if they are 'addictive personalities', then presumably they would be addicted to something now, right ?

I mean, do you think there are 'addictive personalities' who are abstaining from any addictions until marijuana is legalised ?

That makes no sense to me.

And if they aren't abstaining until then , what would they be addicted to ? Because generally speaking you would expect the answer to be alcohol or speed or heroin or cocaine or prescription drugs, and using marijuana is a much healthier alternative to any of those .

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
But if they are 'addictive personalities', then presumably they would be addicted to something now, right ?

I mean, do you think there are 'addictive personalities' who are abstaining from any addictions until marijuana is legalised ?

Yeah, good point.:p

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you also support the prohibition of alcohol Luis? :confused:

I certainly wouldn't oppose it, Nix. But prohibition is no solution; marijuana is hardly unused (or safe) in the states where it is prohibited. I support boycott, avoidance.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
OK, you've made your position totally clear.

Yes. I won't submit to your manipulation.

Really, did you even read my posts? In #58 I told you outright that I know people who died in part due to marijuana use, yet you tell me that I have no argument?

Great way of convincing me.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I don't know that there is a significant advantage of psychically addiction over physical. Nor is it clear to me why susceptibility should be overlooked so casually. Would you tell me?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
More people might be inclined to take up heavy usage of marijuana, if legalized. People who don't drink alcohol etc.
That's the argument, anyway.

More people might be inclined to become casual users, as well. Many people would find out the hard way that they don't deal well with weed.

And for what? Nothing at all.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What I am trying to understand is, why does one believe that someone who doesn't drink, would suddenly use marijuana to excess, as was suggested?

That is a curious question, which sounds next to impossible to understand to me.

No one drinks before the first time. No one is born already knowning how well they may deal or fail to deal with either alcohol or Cannabis. Both alcohol and Cannabis' use are strongly influenced by peer pressure.

So the question is, is there any significant difference between someone who doesn't drink and someone who might have trouble with Cannabis due to casual use? Or any reason to expect some?

apophenia

Yes. I won't submit to your manipulation.

Really, did you even read my posts? In #58 I told you outright that I know people who died in part due to marijuana use, yet you tell me that I have no argument?

Great way of convincing me.

You didn't say how marijuana contributed to their deaths. I assume it was a car crash ?

If so, that is not evidence of mental harm as you keep claiming about marijuana, that is evidence of recklessness behind the wheel. Lot's of people are crashing cars because they are texting too. Obviously getting stoned and driving can be risky, and should be avoided.

Is that how they died ? There's no point in making a claim like that and not being explicitly clear.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong

And if they aren't abstaining until then , what would they be addicted to ? Because generally speaking you would expect the answer to be alcohol or speed or heroin or cocaine or prescription drugs, and using marijuana is a much healthier alternative to any of those .
^^ Yeah, that's... kinda what I was thinking....