• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with the world?

godlikemadman

God Among Men
And what can we as people do to change it?

It is my belief that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way human beings nowadays live their lives. This wrongness is part of what is fueling the unhappiness inherent in today's culture and the increasing divide between man and nature. I want some honest opinions. What's wrong with the world? And how can we change it?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There's nothing wrong with the world. Not intrinsically.

What's "wrong" is people deciding to project onto the world standards of "right" and "wrong" and supposing there is some way the universe "ought" to be. This results in the universe inevitably failing to adhere to human expectations. Thus, humans manufacture their own misery by being so beholden to their projections.

Solution: stop thinking things "ought" to be some particular way and that there is a "right" and "wrong" way for the universe to be. Pretty simple, really.

That philosophical point aside, I wouldn't at all say human sense of "wrongness" fuels a divide between humanity and nature. There is no divide and there never has been. Pretending that there is a divide is part of the "problem" as it were, and failing to have a proper environmental ethic that puts limits on human gratification. There needs to be more learning of appreciating what one has instead of constantly raping the $#@% out of nature to get more stuff that doesn't even make us happy. But this would require a complete overturning (or "draconian" regulation) of the American economic system and questioning the holy religions of capitalism and consumerism. It won't happen until the system buckles under its own failings. Or when the 99% movement decides to organize into a militia and start a civil war. :shrug:

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Well, according to Bertrand Russell: "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Super Universe

Defender of God

It is my belief that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way human beings nowadays live their lives. This wrongness is part of what is fueling the unhappiness inherent in today's culture and the increasing divide between man and nature. I want some honest opinions. What's wrong with the world? And how can we change it?

What is wrong with the world? Same thing that's been wrong with it since the beginning, prevailing selfishness.

The increasing divide between man and nature? Seems the opposite to me, the green revolution is stronger than ever.

How can we change it? One potato at a time, then two potato's, three potato, four...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I don't see anything wrong with the world. It has its positives and its negatives. The balance has to be equal or slightly positive or the world would end.

Polarbear

There's nothing wrong with the world. Not intrinsically.

I agree with the not intrinsically part.

What's "wrong" is people deciding to project onto the world standards of "right" and "wrong" and supposing there is some way the universe "ought" to be.

I am sorry if I have misunderstood your point, but are you saying there is no right or wrong?

Thus, humans manufacture their own misery by being so beholden to their projections.
Solution: stop thinking things "ought" to be some particular way and that there is a "right" and "wrong" way for the universe to be. Pretty simple, really.

In fact there is a way the universe ought to be and yes realizing that it is not that can be uncomfortable even painful, but that doesn't me should deny the problem. We need to dare to face the issues and do something about them.

That philosophical point aside, I wouldn't at all say human sense of "wrongness" fuels a divide between humanity and nature. There is no divide and there never has been. Pretending that there is a divide is part of the "problem" as it were, and failing to have a proper environmental ethic that puts limits on human gratification. There needs to be more learning of appreciating what one has instead of constantly raping the $#@% out of nature to get more stuff that doesn't even make us happy. But this would require a complete overturning (or "draconian" regulation) of the American economic system and questioning the holy religions of capitalism and consumerism.

Now you are contradicting yourself, your views on who humans treat nature clearly reflect a view that the world ought to be a particular way.

no-body

What mythical era of time do you think got it right ?

All societies and eras have their own sets of negatives and positives.

Not to say that we shouldn't strive to make things better and right the perceived wrongs of our particular society, but pining away for something that never existed seems useless.

cablescavenger

People are still pretty stupid.

We can't change that.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I'll tell you what's wrong with the world.

We're under a zombie invasion. Haven't you guys realized that by now?

Polarbear

What mythical era of time do you think got it right ?

I don't think any era got it right, especially not some romaticized past. The modern world is the best society yet in my opinion, but it isn't perfect.

All societies and eras have their own sets of negatives and positives.

I completly agree

Not to say that we shouldn't strive to make things better and right the perceived wrongs of our particular society, but pining away for something that never existed seems useless.

I am not pining away for any none existent golden era of the past or future, but I think that what is good and bad is objective and thus there is an ideal way for the world to be, but I don't claim to know which way that is or that the world will ever be like that. It most likely won't.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I feel divided between what your questions asks and what was your intent with this question. The answer to the question is 'nothing'. However, i feel like your intention with this question is to ask me 'What would you like to be changed in this word?'.

gnomon

I don't know what's wrong with the world.

What do you think is wrong with the world?

Which culture are you talking about?

What divide between man and nature?