• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the True Purpose of Life?

Milton Platt

Trick question; there is no purpose to life, nor would we want it to be.

Probably true in the sense the OP is trying to give it. But many -people find purpose in their lives through a myriad of ways. So there can be purpose in life on a personal level. I wonder if ne meant "purpose OF life i stead???

russ0692

I have read about a tiny animal that instead of dying, it slowly morphs back into an egg then regrows into an adult again. Don't remember the name though.
The Oscillating Ocelot?....probably not because it's better described as a cat than a tiny animal. I liked that phrase too much to care about accuracy though.

djhwoodwerks

There are two purposes in life: Our purpose and The purpose.

1. Our purpose is to live within our beliefs, interpretations of life, and interact with others or however one wants to interpret life to live healthy and better.

So you're saying, people that live within their belief and interpretation of life, that their purpose is to wipe out a certain race should be free to live out that purpose? If so, the life purpose of the race that is being wiped out is to be sport for the people who's purpose is to rid the world of them.

My purpose of life is to rejoin with my family, ancestors, the spirits of the Earth, and my inner nature or Buddha nature.

Your purpose of "life" is to rejoin with your family? Wouldn't that be the purpose of death?

3. The purpose of life is to mate and begot. There is no interpretation of the type of love. It is physical and mental affection for another person.

What about people who believe that homosexuality is ok? Are they not living within their beliefs and interpretations of life? Two men can't mate and begot, nor two women.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hm.
So you're saying, people that live within their belief and interpretation of life, that their purpose is to wipe out a certain race should be free to live out that purpose? If so, the life purpose of the race that is being wiped out is to be sport for the people who's purpose is to rid the world of them.

I don't see how that relates to what you quoted from me.

Our purpose of life is to live our beliefs, interpretations of life [morals, etc] and interact with others....to lead a healthy life.

Your purpose of "life" is to rejoin with your family? Wouldn't that be the purpose of death?

How so? The only "death" I believe is the ceasing of the body and mind. I view death as a transition to where my family is continuing to "escape birth and death."

I don't see how this relates to my quote.

What about people who believe that homosexuality is ok? Are they not living within their beliefs and interpretations of life? Two men can't mate and begot, nor two women.

Like myself? My purpose is not to begot and mate. I can't do that since I love women; and, two women can't do such a thing.

The purpose of life in all animals, plants, etc is to mate. That's one of many laws of nature that is so inherent that it is hard to miss. We are not the center of the universe.

:fallenleaf:

I think you are confusing the post you quoted with the difference between my (or someone's) individual purpose and the purpose of life itself. Can it be interconnected, of course.

The purpose is life unattached from these beliefs. If we unattached ourselves from OUR purpose of life, we would soon help ourselves be comfortable with THE purpose of life.

The purpose of life is independent of ourselves. We are a part of it, yes; however, once we start interpreting things that are outside of natural order then it becomes individual. It's how we relate and interpret to what or how we define life in relations to what we were taught, adopt, or influenced by etc.

Yes, they can be interrelated. Thinking of the Zen view, which I hold, is not to put labels on life. We can for preference and its easier to live when we define our beliefs. However, I feel my purpose is to be free of those labels. I also believe the purpose is that there is no labels.

Nothing centers around us. I'd look to the environment and how we connect to the environment. The environment was here long before humans stepped foot on land. I'd look to nature for the purpose of life; and I look to my family for my purpose in life. I live them both.

I don't really think about it though. It's just natural.

djhwoodwerks

Our purpose of life is to live our beliefs, interpretations of life [morals, etc] and interact with others....to lead a healthy life.

Really? What if a persons belief is that his/her purpose in life is to rid the earth of a certain race of people? They believe that is their purpose in life. Like Hitler.

The purpose is life unattached from these beliefs. If we unattached ourselves from OUR purpose of life, we would soon help ourselves be comfortable with THE purpose of life.

1. The purpose of life is to live zen.
2. Take care of ourselves the best we can in accordance to the Earth (holistic living).
3. The purpose of life is to mate and begot. There is no interpretation of the type of love. It is physical and mental affection for another person.
4. To be born, live, age, and die (that is the natural cycle without our definitions of what these mean)

Like myself? My purpose is not to begot and mate. I can't do that since I love women; and, two women can't do such a thing.

You said "THE" purpose of life was to mate and begot, but "YOUR" purpose of life is not to mate or beget. So if "OUR" purpose for life is different from "THE" purpose of life, where does that leave "THE" purpose of life?

Demonslayer

The purpose of life in all animals, plants, etc is to mate.

From a biological imperative angle I sort of agree, but the word purpose suggests a little more doesn't it?

All mating does is advance the species another handful of years. It's kind of like saying the purpose of reading a book is to turn the next page. Sure it keeps things going, but isn't there some greater purpose to reading the book?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
All mating does is advance the species another handful of years. It's kind of like saying the purpose of reading a book is to turn the next page. Sure it keeps things going, but isn't there some greater purpose to reading the book?

Exactly. I mean, we add our purpose to life and I guess in a sense it starts to be seen as the purpose. However, since I believe there is a purpose that still exist outside of our existence on earth; then, that "something more" is in nature.

It's devaluing that we have purposes and because we are part of the world, we contribute to its purpose.

Like with reading the book. I love reading. The purpose of the book is, well, to be read. That's the nature a book. We can read it by flipping the page. It is very simple.

Our purpose is valuing what the book is. Why we read it. Our interpretations and feelings of what we read. How we see things (like I like books better than their movies. Rarely, I see a good connection). It goes beyond the purpose and becomes more meaningful, if you like, by making the book more than just "fliping a page" (or mating) but more enjoying the context of the book (or getting married) type of thing.

What I want to do is life both. I dont want my life to be too complicated with philosophizing and wondering if god exists. I also don't want to just begot and flip the page without my contribution in it somehow. So, they interrelate. However, I do see a separation as well.

Does there need to be a greater purpose? I mean, writing is my life; however, I wouldnt call how I value it etc as a greater purpose. I believe everything is equal. I just value things differently than other things. Once I make it a greater purpose, it akins to worship. That bothers me.

russ0692

Hm.

How so? The only "death" I believe is the ceasing of the body and mind. I view death as a transition to where my family is continuing to "escape birth and death."

I don't see how this relates to my quote.

The purpose of life in all animals, plants, etc is to mate. That's one of many laws of nature that is so inherent that it is hard to miss. We are not the center of the universe.

I think you are confusing the post you quoted with the difference between my (or someone's) individual purpose and the purpose of life itself. Can it be interconnected, of course.

The purpose of life is independent of ourselves. We are a part of it, yes; however, once we start interpreting things that are outside of natural order then it becomes individual. It's how we relate and interpret to what or how we define life in relations to what we were taught, adopt, or influenced by etc.

Yes, they can be interrelated. Thinking of the Zen view, which I hold, is not to put labels on life. We can for preference and its easier to live when we define our beliefs. However, I feel my purpose is to be free of those labels. I also believe the purpose is that there is no labels.

Nothing centers around us. I'd look to the environment and how we connect to the environment. The environment was here long before humans stepped foot on land. I'd look to nature for the purpose of life; and I look to my family for my purpose in life. I live them both.

I don't really think about it though. It's just natural.
.....and of course the purpose of an internet forum is to enable us to interject our opinions where they haven't been asked for....which is where I fit in.

Personally I don't believe there is an inherent purpose to our lives... I think that, if we want our lives to have any meaning or purpose, we have to create it ourselves. I do, however, think that what we choose has the potential to lessen the suffering and/or create more happiness in those around us.

This is the point that I empathize with Carlita. While I believe that her philosophy is a choice and not some sort of existential truth I do think that most of her beliefs are beneficial to those around her and the rest are, at worst, harmless. I'm basing this on the little I know of Buddhism. One belief that I've chosen is that we're all in this together. Another is that if we, as a species, are going to continue to exist we need to choose our beliefs/purposes/meaning very carefully.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Really? What if a persons belief is that his/her purpose in life is to rid the earth of a certain race of people? They believe that is their purpose in life. Like Hitler.

That's their purpose. I don't know how to question it since it's their personal value system not mine.

1. You said "THE" purpose of life was to mate and begot, but "YOUR" purpose of life is not to mate or beget.

2. So if "OUR" purpose for life is different from "THE" purpose of life, where does that leave "THE" purpose of life?

1. One of the many purposes of life is to mate and begot. That's all through nature. One of many. Why do people think that the purpose of life should be just one? I don't understand that. The second part, yes. You are correct.

2. Like the Hitler example. If our purpose of life is the purpose of life; do you think that we inherently want to kill people? Do you think his values are a part of life; and, something that is does not depend on humans for it to exist?

That, and they can be interconnected. I try to interconnect them; just the having children is out of my purpose of life. I practiced Zen, and in that there is no labels to life. So outside of labels, our interpretations, et cetera is the purpose of life. That's Zazen. That's what I believe is the purpose of life. I still label things for convenience. However, I try not to attach to a set of beliefs as if they are universal truths (of many examples).

I can contribute to the purpose of life by adding my purpose. People do it all the time. God is one example of many. It's healthy and natural. However, the OP as about the purpose. I see there is a separation between the two.

Especially if we say our purpose is the purpose then we are basically telling others their purpose is wrong because there is only one.

I believe the common foundation is Zen: The purpose. Beyond that, it's all about what I value, how I live my life, and interpret it etc. Hopefully, I an life Zen. It's not always easy.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thank you
.....and of course the purpose of an internet forum is to enable us to interject our opinions where they haven't been asked for....which is where I fit in.

It's more of what each forum sets for its own purpose. So when members join, they have a universal purpose even though their purposes may be to debate and inject opinions. For example, the purpose of a DIR is for individuals of the same religion (etc) to have a safe zone to talk about their faith etc. However, some of our purposes kind of interject which underlines the purpose of the DIR. Hence the consequences, I will say.
Personally I don't believe there is an inherent purpose to our lives... I think that, if we want our lives to have any meaning or purpose, we have to create it ourselves. I do, however, think that what we choose has the potential to lessen the suffering and/or create more happiness in those around us.
You're the only christian who has ever said that to me. Usually I hear: "the universal purpose is god but I will tolerate your purpose if it works for you" type of thing. Thank you. :hibiscus:
This is the point that I empathize with Carlita. While I believe that her philosophy is a choice and not some sort of existential truth I do think that most of her beliefs are beneficial to those around her and the rest are, at worst, harmless. I'm basing this on the little I know of Buddhism. One belief that I've chosen is that we're all in this together. Another is that if we, as a species, are going to continue to exist we need to choose our beliefs/purposes/meaning very carefully.

Thank you. Exactly. When I can say "God bless you too" to a Christian when I don't believe in god, I smile. I crossed over that boundary between our labels and just live and Be. Total Zen. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If there is "our" purpose in life, and "the" purpose of life, wouldn't "the" purpose of life (universal) be greater than ours?

I wouldn't think so. It's the context of the OP.

If anything, they both are equal. I just find it more beneficial to find my purpose in the purpose of life. Some things I can do others I can't. My purpose is also trying to find through nature what it means to live that purpose. It's a total interconnection with nature. Greater? I try not to think so. It makes me think of worship when I put value into something more than I do another.

It's like when people say they love their family more than their friends and even more than strangers. Which kind of makes sense given the relationship between each. However, in my view, it shouldn't matter the relationship. I wouldn't have a good relationship with Hitler and he is still human like everyone else. When we can love strangers first, then friends, then family, that is unconditional love.

I find that also the purpose: Unconditional love. Oneness. Wholeness (or so be it). When you are interconnected with your environment and people within it, it's the goal of keeping ourselves healthy and alive. The purpose is also to die. We are born, we age, we get sick, we pass away. Learning to live with that knowledge is developing my purpose with the purpose.

Greater? No. Beneficial to my spiritual well-being, yes. If it's greater, I akin that to worship. Thats not in my vocab.

What do you personally mean by Greater? I should have asked you first.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Do we truly take time to ponder about one of the most important questions about life: What is the true purpose of life?
To liberate the spirit(s) trapped within the energetic-material world.

Demonslayer

62091786.jpg

BSM1

What? Me worry?
There is no end to it, so no question of what comes next..

But if you liberate the spirits wouldn't that be the end of your life's purpose? And if you can never liberate the spirits then what's the point?

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
But if you liberate the spirits wouldn't that be the end of your life's purpose? And if you can never liberate the spirits then what's the point?

There is no end to the number of spirits that need to be liberated.

Jabar

“Strive always to excel in virtue and truth.”
The purpose of life is to worship Allah, and follow commandments.

:)