• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the True Purpose of Life?

AiR

Do we truly take time to ponder about one of the most important questions about life: What is the true purpose of life?

Is most of humanity busy living, enjoying, seeking happiness, or are they actually introspecting and trying to find out the meaning of life? What is the true purpose of life? Why are we here? Who brought us here? What is the purpose of coming here? What should we do before we end this journey?

People go to a supermarket to buy stuff. It is very common. They may actually go to buy bread, but when they enter the supermarket, all the displayed new merchandise overwhelms them. They buy their chocolates, beer, wine and fruits. But at the end of the shopping trip, when they leave and reach home, alas! They have forgotten to buy bread. It happens! It happens very often because we get distracted.

How can we truly find the meaning of life if we don’t take time to ponder, contemplate, and introspect? Some people say that the purpose of life is to be happy – very easily answered – but is it so easy to be happy? People may have all the wealth and all the pleasures in the world, but they are still miserable and unhappy. Do they take time to think and find out what truly makes them happy? Do you think seeking happiness and finding the true purpose of life are two different goals? Or are they one? Is it that when we seek happiness and get happiness, we have achieved the true goal of life, or is it when we find out the true goal of life that we get all the happiness in the world, in fact, do we “become” happiness?

It is a very interesting thought to ponder on: What is the true purpose of life? It requires one to sit silently and think – not browse or read – just go deep within think… And the answers will surely come!

AiR

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
We have an individual purpose and a social purpose which conflict with each other. To live well you try to find a balance that makes you happy.

rusra02

Premium Member
I believe our purpose is inextricably bound in the purpose of our Creator, since it is by his will we exist and were created. (Revelation 4:11)

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
1) To be happy.

2) To do something useful with that happiness. What are examples of that usefulness ?

Demonslayer

"Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do we truly take time to ponder about one of the most important questions about life: What is the true purpose of life?

Is most of humanity busy living, enjoying, seeking happiness, or are they actually introspecting and trying to find out the meaning of life? What is the true purpose of life? Why are we here? Who brought us here? What is the purpose of coming here? What should we do before we end this journey?

People go to a supermarket to buy stuff. It is very common. They may actually go to buy bread, but when they enter the supermarket, all the displayed new merchandise overwhelms them. They buy their chocolates, beer, wine and fruits. But at the end of the shopping trip, when they leave and reach home, alas! They have forgotten to buy bread. It happens! It happens very often because we get distracted.

How can we truly find the meaning of life if we don’t take time to ponder, contemplate, and introspect? Some people say that the purpose of life is to be happy – very easily answered – but is it so easy to be happy? People may have all the wealth and all the pleasures in the world, but they are still miserable and unhappy. Do they take time to think and find out what truly makes them happy? Do you think seeking happiness and finding the true purpose of life are two different goals? Or are they one? Is it that when we seek happiness and get happiness, we have achieved the true goal of life, or is it when we find out the true goal of life that we get all the happiness in the world, in fact, do we “become” happiness?

It is a very interesting thought to ponder on: What is the true purpose of life? It requires one to sit silently and think – not browse or read – just go deep within think… And the answers will surely come!

AiR

I never pondered nor really put interest in finding life's purpose. I have pondered for awhile one time, my purpose. I feel we are like animals. In a good way. They live "Zen" without looking for why. They don't ask Why they mate and breed, they do because life lets them have true ability to do so. We can philosophize it; and, at the end of the day, it is only (good) nature taking its course. My purpose (among the ones below) are how I see life. Living in its purpose and not replacing it as my own. My purposes of life are not the purposes of life. I see them as my beliefs that I was taught and adopted; not universal truths.

There are two purposes in life: Our purpose and The purpose.

1. Our purpose is to live within our beliefs, interpretations of life, and interact with others or however one wants to interpret life to live healthy and better.

2. The purpose is Zen. A blank slate. No animal asks Why he breeds. He just does.

The former is not universal; the latter is.

My purpose of life is to rejoin with my family, ancestors, the spirits of the Earth, and my inner nature or Buddha nature.

The purpose is life unattached from these beliefs. If we unattached ourselves from OUR purpose of life, we would soon help ourselves be comfortable with THE purpose of life.

1. The purpose of life is to live zen.
2. Take care of ourselves the best we can in accordance to the Earth (holistic living).
3. The purpose of life is to mate and begot. There is no interpretation of the type of love. It is physical and mental affection for another person.
4. To be born, live, age, and die (that is the natural cycle without our definitions of what these mean)

We can say our purposes of life are life's purposes; that's okay. If it helps us live life's purpose better and much healthier, than all means. Defining life and pondering over it makes us fall into our purpose. If we are comfortable with the purposes of life mentioned above, why do we need our purposes?

Anything more is our beliefs and interpretations. If we become comfortable with these FACTS of life's purpose, we understand the nature of life.

Living and understanding the nature of life is the purpose of life. Interpreting it through the eyes of beliefs and morals are our purposes.

If we know the purpose of life, why not live it? Can we mix the purpose and our purpose without confusing one for another such as claiming our purposes as facts?

Does it need to be fact for us to live? Would you like to know the purpose of life or are you comfortable with living your purpose? Reflective questions.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Life isn't an Easter egg hunt for purpose and meaning. No deity has hidden "true purpose" somewhere in the bushes of life. The faster you realize that, the faster you can find fulfillment in a purpose of your choosing that suits your individual and collective natures.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Life isn't an Easter egg hunt for purpose and meaning. No deity has hidden "true purpose" somewhere in the bushes of life. The faster you realize that, the faster you can find fulfillment in a purpose of your choosing that suits your individual and collective natures.

Or simply living joyfully without the baggage that comes with trying to find a "purpose". BTW I think the same statement can be assigned to the idea of finding any rhyme, rhythm, or plan to this life.