• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Soul??

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello Madhuri

Are you saying that spirit and soul, in fact, is the same entity but belong to different "space",
since spirit belongs to macrocosm, and soul to microcosm.

This has taken me some time to think about because the topic is in fact very complex. Giving a simple explanation for Vedic philosophy is never easy.

So keeping it simple, and I hope this doesn't seem contradictory from what I've said previously, soul is to Spirit what our bodies are to matter. All material organisms are a microcosm of the material universe and all spiritual beings are microcosms of the spiritual reality, which is God.

The soul is not the same entity as Spirit. Soul is an entity 'made' of Spirit.

If the mind is material, and as you said:

then is consciousness part of our soul?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, consciousness is part of the soul.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I should probably point out for t sake of honesty that I am not a follower of any religion, but neither would I particularly term myself atheist or agnostic. I am, however, very interested in all forms of religion and spirituality, and I'm currently engaged in a project which requires some rather unusual research. Basically, whatever religion, spiritual path or belief system you subscribe to, I would dearly like to know your answer to this question :
What, in your opinion (or that of your faith) IS the soul, spirit, chi, prana, (insert your non-physical lifeforce of choice here). What does it do? Where does it come from? Where does it reside? Do all living tings possess it, or just humans? Is it possible to be human and not possess a soul?

Ok, so that's a whole bunch of questions, but I'll be extremely grateful to anyone who can be bothered to take the time to answer. Thankyou in advance, all the best, Vulpageist.

The soul is a fragment of God. It is one way that God reproduces. The soul is like an infant, sentient but without wisdom or language. The soul resides in another dimension but connects with sentient biological forms.

Do all living things possess a soul? No, only those life forms that have a certain level of brain functionality.

Spirit is God energy that activates DNA. It is separate from the soul. It is not sentient.

Is it possible to be human and not possess a soul? Depends on your definition of the word human.

Kemble

The soul is a fragment of God. It is one way that God reproduces. The soul is like an infant, sentient but without wisdom or language. The soul resides in another dimension but connects with sentient biological forms.

Do all living things possess a soul? No, only those life forms that have a certain level of brain functionality.

Spirit is God energy that activates DNA. It is separate from the soul. It is not sentient.

Is it possible to be human and not possess a soul? Depends on your definition of the word human.

Get some familiarity with E-Prime and you can avoid the overreaching next time.

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
Looking at human history, it would seem that soul is a vulgar display of hateful firepower aimed at "those others".

i don't know, some wise person once said "you are the universe experiencing itself".

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Right. However, it does not matter a bit what you think.

Incorrect.

My well-informed, highly educated, and thoroughly considered thoughts matter a great deal more to me than the half-formed, superstition-driven, logically devoid thoughts of others. I realize others may prefer fluff and fantasies though.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I should probably point out for t sake of honesty that I am not a follower of any religion, but neither would I particularly term myself atheist or agnostic. I am, however, very interested in all forms of religion and spirituality, and I'm currently engaged in a project which requires some rather unusual research. Basically, whatever religion, spiritual path or belief system you subscribe to, I would dearly like to know your answer to this question :
What, in your opinion (or that of your faith) IS the soul, spirit, chi, prana, (insert your non-physical lifeforce of choice here). What does it do? Where does it come from? Where does it reside? Do all living tings possess it, or just humans? Is it possible to be human and not possess a soul?

Ok, so that's a whole bunch of questions, but I'll be extremely grateful to anyone who can be bothered to take the time to answer. Thankyou in advance, all the best, Vulpageist.

The soul would be that part of you reading this post.

I believe (hi there!) in life after death because.....
There are billions of copies of a learning device doing just that...learning.
The result is a unique perspective of this world....on each occasion.
Your linear existence will insure it.
Your death frees your mind and heart from your body.

Without belief in life after death the existence of man is a mystery with no resolve.
But there is no mystery.
You are here to learn all that you can before you die.

We have hierarchy in this life...I believe in hierarchy in the next life.
The angels have personal concerns what stands up from the dust.

atanu

Premium Member
Incorrect.

My well-informed, highly educated, and thoroughly considered thoughts matter a great deal more to me than the half-formed, superstition-driven, logically devoid thoughts of others. I realize others may prefer fluff and fantasies though.

Your facts are uncooked altogether. Whatever the ego may say or do or think, the breather has its own way.

atanu

Premium Member
At one level, the waking time body-brain complex is called a soul. Then, in dream also, the dreamer, made of light-shadow body is soul. In deep sleep the one who sleeps and knows nothing is also soul.

In short, the one who breathes and says "I" is the soul.

But, actually soul is that which is the Seer of the subject and object of all these three states and which has a singular existence distinct from the three states of waking, dreaming, and sleeping.

It is said that one who has seen the seer is one without a second.

As per most scripture, the one who breathes and says "I" is the soul.

Many take it for granted that the one who breathes and says "I" is known. That is not true. The ego-body-mind has no control over coming and going of the breath.

Orias

Left Hand Path
What is the Soul??

Its a question, more than it is anything that our certainty can rely on. To me, its just a word. Something that does not wholly define what appears to be our nature in all of its vitality.

Was there an ancient time when no one worried about what a soul was?

Here is definitions of the Soul from the following verses of the Bhagavad gita, and some other vedic texts. I assume many readers here will be familiar with the verses.

Bg 2.12:
Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Bg 2.13:
As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death.

Bg 2.16:
Those who are seers of the truth have concluded that of the nonexistent the material body there is no endurance and of the eternal the soul there is no change. This they have concluded by studying the nature of both.

Bg 2.17:
That which pervades the entire body you should know to be indestructible. No one is able to destroy that imperishable soul.

Bg 2.18:
The material body of the indestructible, immeasurable and eternal living entity is sure to come to an end; therefore, fight, O descendant of Bharata.

Bg 2.20:
For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain.

Bg 2.21:
O Partha, how can a person who knows that the soul is indestructible, eternal, unborn and immutable kill anyone or cause anyone to kill?

Bg 2.22:
As a person puts on new garments, giving up old ones, the soul similarly accepts new material bodies, giving up the old and useless ones.

Bg 2.23:
The soul can never be cut to pieces by any weapon, nor burned by fire, nor moistened by water, nor withered by the wind.

Bg 2.24:
The individual soul is unbreakable and insoluble, and can be neither burned nor dried. The soul is everlasting, present everywhere, unchangeable, immovable and eternally the same.

Bg 2.25:
It is said that the soul is invisible, inconceivable and immutable. Knowing this, you should not grieve for the body.

Bg 2.26:
If, however, you think that the soul or the symptoms of life is always born and dies forever, you still have no reason to lament ---One who has taken his birth is sure to die, and after death one is sure to take birth again.

Bg 2.28:
All created beings (souls taken birth) are unmanifest in their beginning, manifest in their interim state, and unmanifest again when annihilated.

Bg 2.29:
Some look on the soul as amazing, some describe him as amazing, and some hear of him as amazing, while others, even after hearing about him, cannot understand him at all.

Bg 2.30:
O descendant of Bharata, he who dwells in the body can never be slain. Therefore you need not grieve for any living being.

Bg 3.27:
The spirit soul --bewildered by the influence of false ego, and thus thinks himself the doer of activities that are in actuality carried out by the three modes of material nature.

Bg 3.41:
Therefore, O Arjuna, best of the Bharatas, in the very beginning curb this great symbol of sin [lust] by regulating the senses, and slay this destroyer of knowledge and self-realization.

Bg 3.42:
The working senses are superior to dull matter; mind is higher than the senses; intelligence is still higher than the mind; and the soul is even higher than the intelligence.

Bg 3.43:
Thus knowing oneself to be transcendental to the material senses, mind and intelligence, O mighty-armed Arjuna, one should steady the mind by deliberate spiritual intelligence and thus—by spiritual strength—conquer this insatiable enemy known as lust.

Bg 6.5:
One must deliver himself with the help of his mind, and not degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul, and his enemy as well.

Bg 13.22:
The living soul-entity in material nature thus follows the ways of life, enjoying the physics of nature. This is due to his association with that physics of material nature. Thus individual soul meets with good and evil among various species of births & Lifetimes.

Bg 13.23:
Yet in this body there is another, a transcendental enjoyer, who is the Lord, the supreme proprietor, who exists as the overseer and permitter, and who is known as the Supersoul.

Bg 13.24:
Individual souls who understands this philosophy concerning material nature, the individual living entity (soul) and the interaction of the modes of nature/physics is sure to attain liberation. Those individual soul will not take birth here again, regardless of his present position.

Bg 13.25:
Some perceive the Supersoul within themselves through meditation, others through the cultivation of knowledge, and still others through working without fruitive desires.

Bg 13.28:
One who sees the Supersoul accompanying the individual soul in all bodies, and who understands that neither the soul nor the Supersoul within the destructible body is ever destroyed, actually sees.

Bg 13.30:
One who can see that all activities are performed by the body, which is created of material nature, and sees that the self (the individual soul) does nothing, actually sees.

Bg 13.31:
When a sensible man ceases to see different identities due to different material bodies and he sees how beings are expanded everywhere, he attains to the Brahman conception.

Bg 13.32:
Those with the vision of eternity can see that the imperishable soul is transcendental, eternal, and beyond the modes of nature. Despite contact with the material body the soul neither does anything nor is entangled.

Bg 13.33:
The sky, due to its subtle nature, does not mix with anything, although it is all-pervading. Similarly, the soul situated in Brahman vision does not mix with the body, though situated in that body.

Bg 13.34:
As the sun alone illuminates all this universe, so does the living entity, one within the body, illuminate the entire body by consciousness.

Bg 13.35:
Those who see with eyes of knowledge the difference between the body and the *knower of the body (the Soul), and can also understand the process of liberation from bondage in material nature, attain to the supreme goal.

Bg 13.2:
This body is called the field, and one who knows this body is called the knower of the field.

Bg 4.27:
Others, who are interested in achieving self-realization through control of the mind and senses, offer the functions of all the senses, and of the life breath, as oblations into the fire of the controlled mind.

Bg 6.5:
One must deliver himself with the help of his mind, and not degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul, and his enemy as well.

Amrita-bindu Upanishad 2:
For man, mind is the cause of bondage and mind is the cause of liberation. Mind absorbed in sense objects is the cause of bondage, and mind detached from the sense objects is the cause of liberation.

Mundaka Upanishad (3.1.9): The soul is atomic in size and can be perceived by perfect intelligence. This atomic soul is situated within the heart, and spreads its influence all over the body of the embodied living entities. When the soul is purified from the contamination of the five kinds of material air, its spiritual influence is exhibited.

Chandogya Upanishad (8.1.6)
One’s present status of material pleasure, the result of one’s previous work, will eventually be vanquished by time. Similarly, although by executing pious activities one will be elevated to a higher status in the next life, that future situation will also be vanquished.

Svetasvatara Upanishad (5.9):
When the upper point of a hair is divided into one hundred parts and again each of such parts is further divided into one hundred parts, each such part is the measurement of the dimension of the spirit soul.

Bhagavata purana (7.2.22):
The spirit soul, the living entity, has no death, for he is eternal and inexhaustible. Being free from material contamination, he can go anywhere in the material or spiritual worlds. He is fully aware and completely different from the material body, but because of being misled by misuse of his slight independence, he is obliged to accept subtle and gross bodies created by the material energy and thus be subjected to so-called material happiness and distress. Therefore, no one should lament for the passing of the spirit soul from the body.

Bhagavata purana (11.22.50):
One who observes the birth of a tree from its seed and the ultimate death of the tree after maturity certainly remains a distinct observer separate from the tree. In the same way, the witness of the birth and death of the material body remains separate from it.

PS.
The Nirukti Vedic dictionary, defines ‘sankhya’ as that which analyzes things in detail. ‘Sankhya’ also refers to the study of the real nature of the soul.

According to the Vedic dictionary, the Sanskrit word ‘atma’ is used in Sanskrit scriptures to refer to the soul, but also, often used as a reference to mind, body and senses.

EMIL

tHE SOUL IS THE MIND BODY. THINK ABOUT WHEN YOU HAVE A VIVID DREAM AND FOR THAT MOMENT, YOUR LIFE AND WHO YOU ARE AND HOW YOU HAVE SIMILAR REACTIONS IN THAT VIVID DREAN IS IN FACT TO YOU THE ONLY REALITY THAT IS REAL AND YOU ARE EXPERIENCING. SOME PEOPLE DIE IN THEIR DREAMS WHILE OTHERS WAKE UP AND FEEL GRAT BECAUSE THEY HAD A VIVID DREAM THAT WAS A VERY REAL CONSCIOUS EXPERIENCE AS THEIR BODY LAID QUIETLY AT REST.