• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Soul??

Vulpageist

I should probably point out for t sake of honesty that I am not a follower of any religion, but neither would I particularly term myself atheist or agnostic. I am, however, very interested in all forms of religion and spirituality, and I'm currently engaged in a project which requires some rather unusual research. Basically, whatever religion, spiritual path or belief system you subscribe to, I would dearly like to know your answer to this question :
What, in your opinion (or that of your faith) IS the soul, spirit, chi, prana, (insert your non-physical lifeforce of choice here). What does it do? Where does it come from? Where does it reside? Do all living tings possess it, or just humans? Is it possible to be human and not possess a soul?

Ok, so that's a whole bunch of questions, but I'll be extremely grateful to anyone who can be bothered to take the time to answer. Thankyou in advance, all the best, Vulpageist.

cataway

SOUL​
(Heb., ne
′phesh [נֶפֶשׁ]; Gr., psy·khe′ [ψυχή]) as used in the Scriptures show “soul” to be a person, or animal.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The caveat "non-physical" actually makes this harder for me to answer, because I regard soul/spirit as the sum total essence of something, including its physical aspects if it happens to have any. The Spirit of a Tree is everything that tree is; it's identity as a seedling, what it will be when it dies, the physical form of its bark and roots and leaves, it's relationship with the greater whole (e.g., such as being a keystone species in an ecosystem), etc.

Vulpageist

Thanks Quintessence, that's a very valid point - I suppose I used the term non-physical because most christian depictions of the soul tend to suggest it is somehow connected to but of a higher order than the crude physical matter, but i like your more holistic interpretation...another useful addition to my research :) thanks again.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I should probably point out for t sake of honesty that I am not a follower of any religion, but neither would I particularly term myself atheist or agnostic. I am, however, very interested in all forms of religion and spirituality,

Honesty is always best!

and I'm currently engaged in a project which requires some rather unusual research.

I'm unusual. I can probably help!

Basically, whatever religion, spiritual path or belief system you subscribe to, I would dearly like to know your answer to this question :
What, in your opinion (or that of your faith) IS the soul, spirit, chi, prana, (insert your non-physical lifeforce of choice here).

Like all metaphysical ideas, I can only give my opinion on the matter which is subject to change at any time. For the sake of honesty. ;)

Anyway, my current belief is that the soul is the energy contained in any living thing. I think it has more to do with the patterns created for and by the energy within the body its contained in. I think the the teeny bits of us (DNA comes to mind) have quite a lot to do with binding energy into a particular pattern which results in 'awareness'. Obviously, I am no biologist, neuro-scientist, physicist or any other learned student of science other than watching programs on cable. So, take anything I say with a grain of salt.

What does it do?

I think its responsible for our ability to circumvent physical imperatives of the universe like inertia for example. It's why we do not lay in the bare elements until we wither into dust, and a rock does.

Where does it come from?

The Earth, I suppose. With god thrown in. I believe when matter is thrown together in the way that life is, it always does this. And to me it would make sense if someone threw it together.

Where does it reside?

In your body. Outside of it as well, in at least a figurative sense. I can explain that more, but I don't think it's exactly the point of the thread.

Do all living tings possess it, or just humans?

All living things.

Is it possible to be human and not possess a soul?

Nope. It's not like insurance. It's like your heartbeat. If it stops you die. And when you die it stops. Well, sort of. It stops being you anyway. That's key.

Ok, so that's a whole bunch of questions, but I'll be extremely grateful to anyone who can be bothered to take the time to answer. Thankyou in advance, all the best, Vulpageist.

Not too bad at all!

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Well I will assume that some sort of soul does exist...

What, in your opinion (or that of your faith) IS the soul, spirit, chi, prana, (insert your non-physical lifeforce of choice here).

I would say that it is the part in the "individual" that connects the Ego to the All. Dissolve / manage the Ego, and the illusion of the "individual" dies (for as long as the Ego is managed).

What does it do?

It... exists?

Where does it come from?

Where everything else comes from?

Where does it reside?

It is an point of indeterminate size located somewhere within infinite space.

Do all living tings possess it, or just humans?

All living things, actually maybe all things period.

Is it possible to be human and not possess a soul?

It is not possible for anything to not possess a "soul", it precedes physical existence.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
A weak and defenseless student comes to his master: "I need to fight for my country, but why can't I punch hard like you?"

The master says, "You're not ready."

The student pleads, "I've been lifting so much and I have trained for it."

The master says, "No, You're not ready because you do not want to defend your country."

The student says, "I do, I love my country with all of my heart."

The master replies, "You are not your penniless emotions, nor your physical body."

The student therefore asks, "What am I then?"

"Not ready."

Vulpageist

Doors of Perception, you're the second person to suggest that the soul and the ego are related...my response is that part of the aim of Taoism (which is probably as close to a religion as I am) is to free yourself from your ego completely, thereby allowing the Dao to flow through and around you unobstructed by your own self absorbtion, and allow Chi to build up in you in the correct, balanced manner...obviously I'm mixing my metaphors and religions here, but that suggests t me that the ego can act as a blockage to achieving unity with the soul / chi / spiritual essence of choice...

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
A weak and defenseless student comes to his master: "I need to fight for my country, but why can't I punch hard like you?"

The master says, "You're not ready."

The student pleads, "I've been lifting so much and I have trained for it."

The master says, "No, You're not ready because you do not want to defend your country."

The student says, "I do, I love my country with all of my heart."

The master replies, "You are not your penniless emotions, nor your physical body."

The student therefore asks, "What am I then?"

"Not ready."
Soul not ready :D

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The definition of soul according to Abrahamic religions is different from the definition in eastern religion.

The simple answer from a Vedic (Hindu) perspective is that the soul is the life-force and consciousness. It is the true self, the ever lasting, as opposed to the constantly changing, temporary, physical body. You will find a lot of Hindus who say 'I am not a body with a soul; I am a soul with a body'.

Marco19

Researcher
The definition of soul according to Abrahamic religions is different from the definition in eastern religion.

The simple answer from a Vedic (Hindu) perspective is that the soul is the life-force and consciousness. It is the true self, the ever lasting, as opposed to the constantly changing, temporary, physical body. You will find a lot of Hindus who say 'I am not a body with a soul; I am a soul with a body'.

Since you have defined soul as a life force,
then how do you define spirit, and mind according to Hinduism (if there is/are difference among those three terms)?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Doors of Perception, you're the second person to suggest that the soul and the ego are related...my response is that part of the aim of Taoism (which is probably as close to a religion as I am) is to free yourself from your ego completely, thereby allowing the Dao to flow through and around you unobstructed by your own self absorbtion, and allow Chi to build up in you in the correct, balanced manner...obviously I'm mixing my metaphors and religions here, but that suggests t me that the ego can act as a blockage to achieving unity with the soul / chi / spiritual essence of choice...

Then your goal is un-achievable. There is no way to destroy your ego, and even the desire to do so springs from the ego. You cannot throw out ego-less and balance as the same time, as they contradict. Having an ego under control is balance, and so that would seem a more realistic and noble goal. The ego, if unchecked, could block us from achieving this unity. However, without the idea of Self you cannot recognize the idea of unity, without division you cannot recognize union.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I should probably point out for t sake of honesty that I am not a follower of any religion, but neither would I particularly term myself atheist or agnostic. I am, however, very interested in all forms of religion and spirituality, and I'm currently engaged in a project which requires some rather unusual research. Basically, whatever religion, spiritual path or belief system you subscribe to, I would dearly like to know your answer to this question :
What, in your opinion (or that of your faith) IS the soul, spirit, chi, prana, (insert your non-physical lifeforce of choice here). What does it do? Where does it come from? Where does it reside? Do all living tings possess it, or just humans? Is it possible to be human and not possess a soul?

I haven't seen any arguments or pieces of evidence that suggests a soul exists or explains something that is not currently explainable by biology, so it doesn't factor into my worldview in any regard other than a fairly undefined hypothesis.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Hi. I'm an animist. Everything is/has "spirit." Some things have/are also material. Some or all things may have/be other traits that we haven't discovered or clearly identified yet, or only some may have so identified them.

"things" may have multiple aspects that might be called "spirit" or "soul." We can categorize them as singular, or plural for "individual" things that we identify--such as people. people have one and/or multiple spirits or souls. Could be just one, or two, or three...or a bazillion.

Not sure that helps. But you asked.;)

Orias

Left Hand Path
then how do you define spirit, and mind according to Hinduism (if there is/are difference among those three terms)?

The soul is life force, much like the spirit. The way in which they interact is based off the individual. The spirit and the soul are much like a dagger and dirk. They are the essence and tug behind motivation and inspiration.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm not sure that there is a proper definition of spirit in Vedic scripture. Certain characteristics are provided. Spirit (Brahman) is itself the qualities of Knowledge (consciousness and complete awareness), (eternal) existence and Bliss (love).

Soul is made of this. It is like a microcosm of Brahman. But although it is mentioned a lot, it is never defined. I'm not entirely sure it can be put into human words and understood properly.

Mind is a material thing. It belongs to the body and dies with the body. It is different from consciousness. The mind is where experiences are processed (to put it very simply). Consciousness is simply awareness. It's the difference between actually being aware of things and being in a state of deep sleep or non-existence (complete lack of awareness of anything). Consciousness is something that can exist in a neutral condition and can expand or mature. That's what life does; makes it expand. All our experiences cause consciousness to expand, which we generally call becoming more aware of life or reality. This is something that we believe carries over lifetimes until we reach a state of enlightenment, which is the ultimate state of consciousness; complete awareness.

atanu

Premium Member
I haven't seen any arguments or pieces of evidence that suggests a soul exists or explains something that is not currently explainable by biology, so it doesn't factor into my worldview in any regard other than a fairly undefined hypothesis.

Then biology could bring back life in a dead body.