• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Purpose of the Universe and All its Stuff?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Because I don't expect atheists or agnostics to believe in such a purpose this question is directed at deists and theists. And it doesn't matter what form the agency takes, be it a god, a congregation of cosmic intelligent designers, or just some nebulous conscious force.

I also don't expect much certainty, but rather speculations of one sort or another, which is quite alright. However, if you feel you know of a solid reason, please share your source.

All I'm looking for are answers as to "why was the universe and all its stuff made rather than not?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I could toss out the image: God once asked Himself, what am I and had to whim to build Himself a mirror called the universe. Another answer is that there is an endless cycle of birth of the universe occurring every 311 trillion years constituting 100 years of Brahma. Half the time he's "asleep" and half the time "awake". A third answer is that it can't be put into words.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because I don't expect atheists or agnostics to believe in such a purpose this question is directed at deists and theists. And it doesn't matter what form the agency takes, be it a god, a congregation of cosmic intelligent designers, or just some nebulous conscious force.

I also don't expect much certainty, but rather speculations of one sort or another, which is quite alright. However, if you feel you know of a solid reason, please share your source.

All I'm looking for are answers as to "why was the universe and all its stuff made rather than not?

"Life teaches only one thing: There are no answers!"

I suppose speculation could go all over the map. I've often wondered if we're some sort of side effect - or perhaps some sort of experiment by some alien beings in a higher dimensional plane. Or maybe it's something more mundane; perhaps some being in the 7th or 8th dimension had a bad case of diarrhea, and we are the result.

I think that's where religion tends to fail, in my opinion. It's not so much belief in a "creator" as much as the idea that they ascribe some sort of "purpose" to it - when there may not be any purpose at all.

The whole thing could be someone's idea of a practical joke.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I could toss out the image: God once asked Himself, what am I and had to whim to build Himself a mirror called the universe. Another answer is that there is an endless cycle of birth of the universe occurring every 311 trillion years constituting 100 years of Brahma. Half the time he's "asleep" and half the time "awake". A third answer is that it can't be put into words.

It's quite simple, really.

God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh.

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Seriously, though ... just google purpose of life and you will have your answer!

729 million answers to be exact!

Though FEW people ever look past the first dozen or so.

They literally don't know what they are missing ...

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Creative impulse. Something we also have.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

In my non-dual view (God and creation are not-two) advaita view the universe is all a play/drama of God/Brahman's creative aspect. In Act I, He separates Himself from Himself and in Act II He returns Himself to Himself. Why? To experience finite existence. Aren't we preferring this to static experiencing?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
the universe is mindless matter, and energy, space and time are arbitrary brute facts. the intelligence manipulating the universe is a complete mystery. I suspect it has always been around, and countless intelligences exist. I'm sure the intelligence to be sought after works in freaky advanced ways and would be totally alien too humans.

WalterTrull

Godfella
the universe is mindless matter, and energy, space and time are arbitrary brute facts. the intelligence manipulating the universe is a complete mystery. I suspect it has always been around, and countless intelligences exist. I'm sure the intelligence to be sought after works in freaky advanced ways and would be totally alien too humans.
Geesh. Can you work with that? I don't think I can. I'm gonna go the singular being route.

WalterTrull

Godfella
True porkers are those who smoke. Briners are all infidels doomed to walk among the lower castes forever. Repentance is no salvation for a briner. And don't get me started on light beer!