• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is the Best Way to Learn about your Religion

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What Is the Best Way to Learn about your Religion
Pack a rucksack with water and a few essentials and trek a secluded environment, if you want to take it a step further... pack a backpack and trek a secluded natural environment for several days. No scripture needed, let yourself read the terrain instead and climatize yourself to your surroundings.
In my religion, when you feel comfortable and at ease with nature, concepts such as God prove to be a shadow of a more potent reality we shouldn't try to rationalize with theology.

Straw Dog

What would you say, if a person is looking to join your religion, is the best way to learn about it?

I know that you recently expressed interest in Stoicism. Have you practiced any of their meditation/contemplation techniques?

I've been exploring different approaches to essentially the same state of mind: simply being. Certain mystical practices can become a distraction from mindfulness of the moment in continuous real time so I've begun to incorporate more down-to-earth techniques, so to speak.

The Stoics have a number of exercises. The one major practice is called the view from above. You should check it out.

http://philosophy-of-cbt.com/2011/08/13/the-view-from-above-stoic-meditation-script/

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Pack a rucksack with water and a few essentials and trek a secluded environment, if you want to take it a step further... pack a backpack and trek a secluded natural environment for several days. No scripture needed, let yourself read the terrain instead and climatize yourself to your surroundings.
In my religion, when you feel comfortable and at ease with nature, concepts such as God prove to be a shadow of a more potent reality we shouldn't try to rationalize with theology.

Not that I don't appreciate and admire many cathedrals and other religious structures for their architectural beauty and historical significance, but there is no better church than being in seclusion in nature.

Straw Dog

In more directly adressing the OP, I started attending unprogrammed meetings with some liberal Quakers. They're non-dogmatic and hold a certain diversity of views so it doesn't really help to try and teach it here. The best way to learn about it is to come and observe/participate in a meeting directly.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Hmm, reminds me of what I used to do. There's these untouched woods in the middle of the cornfield next to my house. I used to walk up there and try to get more in touch with nature by staying up there for hours.

But I don't really trust the animals.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I know that you recently expressed interest in Stoicism. Have you practiced any of their meditation/contemplation techniques?

I've been exploring different approaches to essentially the same state of mind: simply being. Certain mystical practices can become a distraction from mindfulness of the moment in continuous real time so I've begun to incorporate more down-to-earth techniques, so to speak.

The Stoics have a number of exercises. The one major practice is called the view from above. You should check it out.

The View from Above (Stoic Meditation Script) | Stoicism and the Art of Happiness

Hmm, interesting. I have not looked much into Stoic meditation, thank you good sir.

NoraSariah

By testing it. Think negatively and act or feel negatively for about two days, see what it gets you. Then think and act positively for two days and see if there's a difference. It's basically all karma, but it comes through your thoughts and feelings, not just actions. Watch the movie The Secret, and read the books The Secret, The Power, and The Magic.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
"My" religion is my personal Dharma. The best way to learn about it is to take part with my life.

In a more general, but also less meaningful sense, I would advise those interested in Buddhism to visit a number of temples or practice centers and see how at ease they feel there.

As for Utilitarianism, I would recommend "The Life You Can Save" and "How Are We to Live" by Peter Singer.

InChrist

Free4ever
Not that I don't appreciate and admire many cathedrals and other religious structures for their architectural beauty and historical significance, but there is no better church than being in seclusion in nature.

I certainly enjoy God's natural creation and find it much more peaceful, beautiful, and meaningful than any man-made structure.

The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shows His handiwork. Day unto day utters speech and night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard. Psalm 19:1-3

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made... Romans 1:20

InChrist

Free4ever
Do you think reading a certain book will help? A few books? Or maybe a lot of online research? Going to your organization's temple/church/etc?

What would you say, if a person is looking to join your religion, is the best way to learn about it?

I would say it's not about joining a religion, but knowing Jesus.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The best way to learn about any religion is to ask one of its informed adherents.

We certainly share this view. :) I see people using all kinds of stuff to 'review' or judge Mormonism. I wonder some days if they've ever even met a 'real' live Mormon. The other day I had a nice early morning chat with two missionary girls out for their morning jog. It was pleasant stuff, and when I informed them I was a Hindu, they just said they'd like to learn more about it, for personal knowledge. Respectful and cheery youth.

In Hinduism, we have western Indologists who take very intellectual and often Freudian viewpoints, and great liberty in analysis of our faith. So some kid in some college or university signs up for the 'Introduction to Hinduism' course and gets this totally incorrect scholarly series of lectures. It's sad.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Do you think reading a certain book will help? A few books? Or maybe a lot of online research? Going to your organization's temple/church/etc?

Peace be on you.
Please:
1-Visit Ahmadiyya Muslims at IslamAhmadiyya - Ahmadiyya Muslim Community - Al Islam Online - Official Website . There is much to see (like MTAi - Muslim Television Ahmadiyya) and read.
2-Hear and read Friday sermons and addresses by Ahmadiyya Khalifah.
3-Through the above site, find them through 'contact us' near you.

Daniel Hansen

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I would say the best way to learn about this religion is to read the Book of Mormon and then pray to know if it is truly the word of God. I believe that anyone who sincerely seeks it will receive an answer to this question by the power of the Holy Ghost. I have a personal testimony by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is the word of God in addition to the Bible.

Twig pentagram

High Priest

This is the thing, I created my own religion / path. I guess you would just
have to ask me.

BruceDLimber

For the Baha'i Faith, the best ways to learn about it are:

• read various books about it, especially its scriptures
  • check out the Web sites explaining it
  • visit area Baha'is, and in particular attend the firesides (informal Q & A meetings) the Baha'is hold
  • in the US, phone 1-800-22-UNITE: the folks there will happily send you free literature and, if you like, tell you the location of the closest Baha'is.
Good hunting! :)

Bruce