• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Best subject of study for Religious minded people?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Especially the positive messages. When i look at the cross, im reminded of how brutal things were in Roman times. And even the brutality that has been even unto today. Then i see the good that happens anyway in the face of terrible things.

I think human history has been brutal and that’s why we have needed God and His messengers. The irony is that at some point the religion they bring gets hijacked by self interested and corrupt leaders. This has been the history of both Christianity and Islam. Myanmar and the slaughter of the Rohinga Muslims reminds us that Buddhists are not immune from the human condition either.

What is important is the life and Teachings of these great souls transcended the human condition and if we can apply them to our life’s we can be an influence for good in the world if that’s what we want to do.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Being a seeker of truth and being unafraid of the results of your search,

What do religious minded people need to come to terms with?
Probably this: no matter which God we worship, if we believe that He (/ She / It) created all things, then we should think that God wants us to love all of His / Her / It’s other children, ignoring whatever man-made barriers exist.

And if our religion promotes disunity among people — say, supporting one country over another in conflict, or preferring one culture over another, or excludes people of other races — then we should think about finding one that does.

“Also does reason alone produce evidence of anything?”
No, but sound reasoning can lead to discovery of evidence.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla

Also does reason alone produce evidence of anything?
Things needing studying:
  1. Philosophy including: epistemology (knowledge, truth, belief, good and sound arguments), metaphysics (reality), ontology (being).
  2. The philosophical basis and proper domain of the scientific method.
  3. Modern psychology and biology.
  4. The various religions and spiritual paths (so you can see how they all contradict).
Key questions needing answering:
  1. Is there a God having at least the same attributes as us (conscious awareness, sense of personhood, love of beauty and truth, and etc)?
  2. How can a good God create or allow pain, suffering, death, sin, evil?
  3. Should we rely on our intuition in determining what to place our faith in?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Things needing studying:
  1. Philosophy including: epistemology (knowledge, truth, belief, good and sound arguments), metaphysics (reality), ontology (being).
  2. The philosophical basis and proper domain of the scientific method.
  3. Modern psychology and biology.
  4. The various religions and spiritual paths (so you can see how they all contradict).
Key questions needing answering:
  1. Is there a God having at least the same attributes as us (conscious awareness, sense of personhood, love of beauty and truth, and etc)?
  2. How can a good God create or allow pain, suffering, death, sin, evil?
  3. Should we rely on our intuition in determining what to place our faith in?

Heres a theologian that loves to cover a lot of ground philosophically. Its rather lengthy though. It considers the state of materialist paradigms, and the irreducibility of consciousness to those paradigms. You may already have an overview of all this stuff. And i dont want to pitch time wasting videos.

I am very compelled to inquire about this subject

Jedster

They should try and understand that being a truth seeker does not have to involve a god concept.

exchemist

Veteran Member

1) Comparative religion: the religious-minded person needs to understand beliefs other than those they are familiar with, and be able to see beyond the competing claims to the "real" Truth.

2) The philosophy of science: the religious-minded person needs to be able recognise the nature of scientific enquiry, its scope and its limitations, in order to distinguish it from religious enquiry.

3) Literature: the religious-minded person needs awareness of literary forms and devices and their role in scripture and religious writings, and recognise cultural influences in the writing.

4) Philosophical traditions: the religious-minded person needs to be aware that various philosophies influence, or are influenced by, religious thought.

These seem to me to be areas in which the religious-minded person can acquire a better perspective on religion and its place in human culture. I have probably left many out, but these are the ones I recognise from my own experience.

On the last question, I suppose reason alone can allow you to make the deduction: Cogito, ergo sum. But I'm not sure where you go from there.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Simple. They (we,I) have to come to terms with the fact that our most cherished beliefs may be wrong. When one has done that, you are done basically.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Considering the current situation, I would think that generally speaking people that consider themselves religious really ought to learn a bit of social psychology, anthropology, and statistics.

As should everyone else, come to think of it.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Heres a theologian that loves to cover a lot of ground philosophically. Its rather lengthy though. It considers the state of materialist paradigms, and the irreducibility of consciousness to those paradigms. You may already have an overview of all this stuff. And i dont want to pitch time wasting videos.
Yes, I've already watched this video several times. Thanks for reminding me of it; I'll watch it again.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

Epistemology. That goes for atheists too.

Epistemology is the study of knowledge, mainly how we know what we know. There are far too many ppl here that are like "I think this/that is so... because I say so!"

How do you know...?