• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the #1 thing you like about your faith?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I ask because I am trying to figure out what keeps followers of religions satisfied with their religion.
I like that it emphasizes the self-worth and value each of us has to God. I like it because I have never been taught that I'm a depraved creature who, from the moment I took my first breath, was deserving of eternal torment.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I ask because I am trying to figure out what keeps followers of religions satisfied with their religion.
It's not really the religion as much as it's yourself. I'm satisfied in knowing that it's my own path, not the religion that keeps me "following" it.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
It's not really the religion as much as it's yourself. I'm satisfied in knowing that it's my own path, not the religion that keeps me "following" it.

I feel the same way. You can tell when a religion is "you". If it's not "you", all you get is frustrated, because it doesn't feel "right". But knowing you believe in something and being able to explain it in a few words is satisfying, not to mention reassuring.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I developed my own faith based on universals that are true that applies to everybody. I take note and pieces of wisdom from everywhere and apply what I feel is true or at least possible.

I try to look beyond the evidence in full regard of evidence. science doesn't interfere with my belief in a non physical reality that is eternal.

trial and error in safety I often do. I keep a journal of truthes. the thing I like most about my faith is that it doesn't restrict me, and it's clear and concise, and it doesn't burden me with needless rules. It's totally amendable except for a few absolutes that I regard as self evident.

Last edited:
I'm not a believing Mormon, but Ted my favorite religion. I have three main things I really love about it.

The first is the sexual/familial nature of God and creation. God the Father has a wife and all the souls are his spirit children produced through a sort of spiritual sex with his wives. (it's not clear, but my understanding is that the children of each wife are the inhabitants of a different world). Furthermore, the point of all human life is to spiritually grow to where one ascends to godhead and creates their own universe.

To me, this perfectly matches nature. Life exists to produce more life, and the quantity of life multiplies. Life also forms order out of disorderly matter and gives it purpose. Mormonism gives purpose to every human life in a way that reflects natures own patterns. I also find the whole concept of God as a father to be much more personal.

Two, Mormonism answers every major question about the nature of God in a simple way. The Trinity are three separate beings (no BS) and they only really worship one. God is physical. It's simple to understand.

Three, Mormonism has the most just take on the afterlife I've ever heard from an organized religion. The sinners and heathens suffer a sort of extended time out, but they then go on to heaven. Heaven is tiered to where all levels are good, but better people have a better existence. I think one missionary said that Joseph Smith put it like this: if a person could see how good even the Telestial Kingdom is, they'd kill themselves to try to get there sooner. And a person in the Telestial Kingdom would feel the same about the Terrestrial Kingdom, and so on.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
God the Father has a wife and all the souls are his spirit children produced through a sort of spiritual sex with his wives. (it's not clear, but my understanding is that the children of each wife are the inhabitants of a different world).
Most of what you said about Mormonism is right on. But I'm not sure exactly where you came up with this "spiritual sex" bit and a bunch of wives each inhabiting a different world. About all Mormonism actually does teach along these lines is that (1) Go created each of our spirits out of highly refined matter that was co-existent with Him. (2) We do have a Mother in Heaven, although we have been told next to nothing about Her. The rest of what you said was your own embellishments.

But I do agree that Mormonism's teachings concerning the nature of God are vastly more clear and more logical than mainstream Christianity's, and that the Mormon concept of the afterlife is infinitely more loving and all-inclusive than any other Christian denomination's.

I have no problem with your having left Mormonism. I mean each person has got to find the religion that speaks to him. What I don't understand is why you still describe yourself as "Mormon." You don't still call yourself a Protestant or a Pentecostal. When you decided to reject their teachings, you no longer called yourself one. Why hang on to Mormonism as a description of who who you are if you no longer believe?

Most of what you said about Mormonism is right on. But I'm not sure exactly where you came up with this "spiritual sex" bit and a bunch of wives each inhabiting a different world. About all Mormonism actually does teach along these lines is that (1) Go created each of our spirits out of highly refined matter that was co-existent with Him. (2) We do have a Mother in Heaven, although we have been told next to nothing about Her. The rest of what you said was your own embellishments.

But I do agree that Mormonism's teachings concerning the nature of God are vastly more clear and more logical than mainstream Christianity's, and that the Mormon concept of the afterlife is infinitely more loving and all-inclusive than any other Christian denomination's.

I have no problem with your having left Mormonism. I mean each person has got to find the religion that speaks to him. What I don't understand is why you still describe yourself as "Mormon." You don't still call yourself a Protestant or a Pentecostal. When you decided to reject their teachings, you no longer called yourself one. Why hang on to Mormonism as a description of who who you are if you no longer believe?

I swear I heard it somewhere. I think it might have been an anti-Mormon documentary? I know the sister missionaries didn't talk about it in those terms, but the missionaries generally present the religion in an understated, Protestant kind of way.

If you're asking about my username, it's just a sort of tongue in cheek thing. But I've wondered about the same question. I wasn't with them long enough to really deserve to call myself a part of Mormondom, but I still feel connected to it. I feel like the teachings about the deities are true, but that the Mormon scriptures and Church are not, and you can't really reconcile the two. I've felt a desire to go back a few times, but dismissed it as me just missing the sisters/my ex-girlfriend.

Pentecostalism and Baptism don't speak to me. I love the way Pentecostals do services, but their gifts of the spirit are blatant acts. Baptist church is okay, and the Baptists have so far been the sanest and most genuine people I've dealt with, but it doesn't "fix" the issues I have with Christian theology.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
The #1 thing I like about my religion is that it's simple and straightforward. The essence of it being captured in my signature:

“One Essence, Many Expressions.”

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

That knowledge of self (man) and knowledge of God meet
who you are and how dependent you are and who He is and how sufficient He is
But also that its a family relationship where the best of various aspects of family are filled in Chrsit
with Christ as brother, God as Father, the marriage supper of the Lamb, the church as forever family.
It's like coming home

Psalms book 5: Songs for coming home Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 9.28.07 AM.png