• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the #1 thing you like about your faith?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I ask because I am trying to figure out what keeps followers of religions satisfied with their religion.

Laika

Premium Member
It helps fight depression by getting me to question the nature of reality to see beyond depressing moralistic propaganda claims presented as self-evident (on both sides), restoring my faith in humanity as a productive, creative force that can do social good, challanges the moralistic self-loathing and self-hatred of man as a "fallen" and inevitably flawed, selfish and evil animal incapable of self-improvement in which deriving pleasure from sex or power as human aspirations is "sinful" and giving me a sense of control and empowerment based on a combination of a methodical approach to evidence and the use of philosophy.

(Edit: ...and the heroic self image of dissent and struggle against the odds and having the freedom to enjoy subversive ideas and outlooks on life. Etc. I could probably keep going.)

During my darkest days with depression it convinced me to stay alive, challange my darkest fears and give myself and the rest of the world a second chance basically. So I can't ask much more than that. :)

buddhist

I ask because I am trying to figure out what keeps followers of religions satisfied with their religion.
I would suppose that my #1 reason would be the fact that early Buddhism revolves around things to be personally known in the here & now, and not the blind, faith-based dogmatic beliefs characteristic of many other religions.

Other reasons, and things which set it apart, include:
  • Intention is most important, not the letter of the law;
  • There are no intermediaries;
  • Nor are there hierarchies;
  • It revolves around personally observable Laws of Reality;
  • Therefore its teachings are universally applicable, and not tied to specific lands, specific eras, or "chosen" people-groups in history;
  • It does not depend on a "real" Buddha, or faith in him or his alleged deeds;
  • It teaches a systematic, methodical Path with instant feedback;
  • It emphasizes "less", not "more", as the way to bliss and contentment;
  • It esteems independent thought & analysis, not conformity;
  • And, it targets suffering itself, instead of merely addressing the symptoms of suffering as many other paths propose.

Last edited:

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.

Deism is simplistic and can't really be argued against. There are not a bunch of man made tenets, dogma, rites or rules. There is no hocus pocus paranormal crap or irrational story telling. It is a personal belief based on observations and nothing more.

It easily agrees with science and medicine, and uses logic at its core.

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
What is the #1 thing you like about your faith? I ask because I am trying to figure out what keeps followers of religions satisfied with their religion.

Being a Baha'i for me over the past forty years or so has provided me and my wife with guidance in establishing our family and providing high principles and ethical values for our children..

It also inspired me to have a career in social services rather than one in business... It influenced my values;

It's a spiritual treasure house that can help one deal with the vicissitudes of life that we all face..

Timothy Bryce

As it's been already mentioned above, my experiences with spirituality are dynamic - they seem to flow with the tides and blow with the breezes.

The best part about about this is that it's always accompanied new surprises (both positive and negative) which are characterized by instances of emotional and sensory exalt - these are what I consider to be the finer points to my interpretation of spirituality.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
My beliefs are carnal and animalistic, I feel a sense of enjoyment out of it. I also feel this gift of self realization which I call the Black Flame which is ignited into ones consciousness. What also keeps me within my beliefs is the fact that a Satanist is born, meaning some of us are Satanists without realizing it ourselves. It also gives me a sense of identification of who'm I am. It is also tradition for me as well. What also keeps me further within my beliefs is the intellectualism, knowledge, and understanding of the Left Hand Path. I view many of my friends on RF who are on the same path as I am as intelligent beings than the herd to some extent. What also keeps me in balance is the fact that Satanism for me is a religion and a philosophy of questioning certain things Satan for example is the "one who questions." To me Satan is the one who opposes Light but who causes wrath and animalistic indulgence that is perhaps diabolical In a sense. I also to some extent regard Set as a different character than Satan, in my opinion Set challenges the initiate the more the initiate works with Set but Set does not teach the initiate but creates many harder things for the initiate. To some extent Satanism for me is about pushing things that are viewed within mainstream society as sick and twisted. I try to break the limits which I view as a core principle within the Left Hand Path, to some extent my opinions have advanced from a few influences by the ONA where's I do not believe in a right or wrong but I prefer to stay Amoral. I follow my own Satanic code which I always keep in mind to some extent. The Left Hand Path in my opinion is a Path full of knowledge.

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
What else but the Lord? :D

031meeting-with-hanumanRB.jpg

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
That Islam is mainly about worshiping God and only God, the original creator, directly, without proxies (middlemen) and Him alone as a single supreme god.

There is no worshiping multiple gods, god(s) with complicated nature, worshiping a creation, and asking other creation(s) to take care of things between us and Him.

It's so clear and obvious; no rocket science.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The diversity of praxis and thought in Hinduism ( and sister worldviews) that seeks to create space for everybody in every period of history is what I like about it. The transition from medieval era to modernity has been extremely peaceful in India when compared with Europe, China or Middle East ( where the violence still continues). I believe Hinduism is a major contributing cause for this. India remains a continuous culture from at least 1000 BCE to today while reconfiguring itself to suit every era. This is not mere chance, but has happened because of the resources available within the civilization and the religions that arose in its matrix.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the #1 thing you like about your faith?
I cannot really determine that. It is a state of being, so I do not have to like it. I liked the illusion that everyone was like family, that loving everyone was normal. It was not about what I brought to the table.
I think some things provided are: Acceptance, a safe space for children, morality, beliefs such as the belief in afterlife or healing, self discipline, culture and geeky things like Bible study, a marriage market, approval, community standing, and contacts.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Freedom of belief. I am an atheist, do not believe in existence of soul or reincarnation. Hinduism has no problems with it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The #1 thing is connection and blessings with my family and family in spirit.

...in Buddhism (or in life, rather; not separate) knowing everything I experience comes from me and how I think. I receive help, of course; and, it starts with me. Without that, I'd always be searching outside of myself. That I can do for ages until I die. I am here. I don't have to search for me. I can learn about myself right here and now at this very moment.

Last edited:

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
The #1 thing is connection and blessings with my family and family in spirit.

...in Buddhism (or in life, rather; not separate) knowing everything I experience comes from me and how I think. I receive help, of course; and, it starts with me. Without that, I'd always be searching outside of myself. That I can do for ages until I die. I am here. I don't have to search for me. I can learn about myself right here and now at this very moment.
Would you call that simplicity? :)