• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the #1 thing you like about your faith?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I think some things provided are: Acceptance, a safe space for children, morality, beliefs such as the belief in afterlife or healing, self discipline, culture and geeky things like Bible study, a marriage market, approval, community standing, and contacts.
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

RedDragon94

The diversity of praxis and thought in Hinduism ( and sister worldviews) that seeks to create space for everybody in every period of history is what I like about it. The transition from medieval era to modernity has been extremely peaceful in India when compared with Europe, China or Middle East ( where the violence still continues). I believe Hinduism is a major contributing cause for this. India remains a continuous culture from at least 1000 BCE to today while reconfiguring itself to suit every era. This is not mere chance, but has happened because of the resources available within the civilization and the religions that arose in its matrix.
Would you consider Smartism to be a secular movement?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Hopefully the part about not going to hell, but instead living in paradise, in the next eternal life after this short life of troubles.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I ask because I am trying to figure out what keeps followers of religions satisfied with their religion.

It's def the kinky sex and drugs (legally prescribed, cough)... :D

Or...

"It's the sense of personal enrichment and boundless harvest", yeah that's the ticket.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No, I would not consider 'Smartas' as secular. How can it be termed secular if it advocates worship of five or six Hindu deities and none else? But it India, secularism has a different meaning - our Constitution puts it as 'Sarva Dharma Sama Bhava' - equal treatment to all religion. The Indian state does not disregard religion.

Skwim

Veteran Member
What's great about my religion, agnosticism, is that it allows me to remain open to whatever arguments and evidence that comes along. I'm not bound by dogma, but am free to exercise unlimited reason.

agnostic_quote_xlarge.png

10.jpg

Daemon Sophic

As an agnostic, my "faith" is a lack of one.
My philosophy(ies) on life in are many-fold....but generally follow the Golden Rule, and an attempt to make the world a better place than I found it, for future generations.
This provides me with goals and struggles aplenty. ;)

The #1 thing I like about agnosticism is the knowledge that I'm not being led around by a nose-ring, but rather that I am always investigating the next finding with both eyes wide open. A sense of certainty, mixed with wonder and curiosity. :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
What's great about my religion, agnosticism, is that it allows me to remain open to whatever arguments and evidence that comes along. I'm not bound by dogma, but am free to exercise unlimited reason.

agnostic_quote_xlarge.png

10.jpg

"I don't know and you don't either"? Speak for yourself...... :D

I know what I believe and why I believe it. I am not lost in a 'maybe' 'I dunno' world of uncertainty, but I have my feet firmly planted in God's unfailing promises.

I understand why we are suffering in this life and I know how to obtain the fulfilment of God's promises for the future. It is uncomplicated and allows freedom of choice. We just need to know how to choose well.

Hebrews 11:1....
"Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen."

InquisitiveScholar

Wanting to learn it all..
For me personally, I find that my faith, which calls for self reflection, personal acts, with an emphasis on educating yourself to the world around you are the biggest draws. However my faith also does not demand you prostrate yourself to Ahura Mazda. In fact, quite the opposite. It wants you to prove your devotion through actions, rather than words. Working to make the world a better place is the highest calling any Zoroastrian can get, and it is this exact sense of the Free Will to choose how you want to make the world better is what makes it even more enthralling.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Although I left my religion, but have almost constantly wanted to return (Raelism)...

When I read the Raelian book "Intelligent Design: Message from the Designers" I said to myself,

"This is a religion where I can take the whole package and live with it contentedly." I also told myself, "If people leave it they can fall into lower religions because it uses those religions," but most importantly to me I also thought, "If I ever leave this religion, I know that there is no God and I can be happy to know that there is no God for as long as I want."

For a 23-page comic book summary of my religion that will qualify you for it, please read "Humans were created scientifically" on rael.org.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am personally more in line with the analytical Nyaya Vaisesika strands of Hinduism and am also sympathetic with philosophical Buddhism. In India the word secular is used a bit differently. It refers to those who wish to see a pluralistic society where the society and the state shows no overt or covert preference for one particular religion or worldview.
The smarta is a specific sub branch of Hinduism. I do not know enough about them to tell you if they are secular.

RedDragon94

No, I would not consider 'Smartas' as secular. How can it be termed secular if it advocates worship of five or six Hindu deities and none else? But it India, secularism has a different meaning - our Constitution puts it as 'Sarva Dharma Sama Bhava' - equal treatment to all religion. The Indian state does not disregard religion.
Oh, I read a little more from the source. They say they're universalistic.

RedDragon94

I am personally more in line with the analytical Nyaya Vaisesika strands of Hinduism and am also sympathetic with philosophical Buddhism. In India the word secular is used a bit differently. It refers to those who wish to see a pluralistic society where the society and the state shows no overt or covert preference for one particular religion or worldview.
The smarta is a specific sub branch of Hinduism. I do not know enough about them to tell you if they are secular.
Basics of Hinduism

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh, I read a little more from the source. They say they're universalistic.
They are univeralistic as far as Indian religions go - Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism; but do not add Christianity or Islam. Smartas will have major differences with them. Individuals are not given any importance in Hinduism, it is the philosophy which matters.

RedDragon94

With all due respect basics of Hinduism is like basics of physics written for beginners in school. I would not go by such articles to decide how life long practitioners believe.
They are univeralistic as far as Indian religions go - Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism; but do not add Christianity or Islam. Smartas will have major differences with them. Individuals are not given any importance in Hinduism, it is the philosophy which matters.
What is the best way to learn about Hinduism?