• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Success to You?

Clara Tea

Sounds like a guy thing.
No subtlety

I prefer them not to know their heads
are cut off till they hit the ground

Oh....this reminds me of when my sister was practicing her magic act (sawing a woman in half). Time to get out the super glue again.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
It seems that inner peace almost implies harmony with others (to the limit that they would allow such harmony).

Needs of the material world sometimes impinge on the spiritual. This is why the Dalai Lama fled to Tibet (escaping Chinese forces). Sometimes seeking internal tranquility is difficult.

We see people starving for lack of food or money. That, too, is disharmony.

Dear Clara Tea,

It is important to establish what one can and cannot achieve in relation to the state of another and to do what one can to increase their harmony and decrease their suffering, yes. But one’s angst over what one cannot do, does nothing to help another and only hinders one own sense of balance. This is why to live successfully also require the letting go of control and the acceptance of one’s own limitations.

Humbly
Hermit

Clara Tea

Dear Clara Tea,

It is important to establish what one can and cannot achieve in relation to the state of another and to do what one can to increase their harmony and decrease their suffering, yes. But one’s angst over what one cannot do, does nothing to help another and only hinders one own sense of balance. This is why to live successfully also require the letting go of control and the acceptance of one’s own limitations.

Humbly
Hermit

"That sucks" is the first part of "success." Failure is inherent in any endeavor. Edison failed many times, only to succeed in a few things at the end of a long journey.

One step begins a journey.

If we accept limitations, we don't even try. We must try to see if we can do it.

When Edison made a tungsten filament, it was said that no one can machine a coil of tungsten because it could not bend. Edison didn't know that, so he tried anyway, and succeeded.

Self-defeating resignation never won. One must never give up hope. Dr. Who said "one good hope is worth a cartload of certainties."

So many evil regimes had to be toppled, and no one had the power to topple them. But the complains were like tiny ripples on a pond....eventually they made their way to those who notice, and more ripples were made, then more and more, and eventually came revolution and success.

Be like the tiny stone that ripples the pond....start the process.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The idea, I think is to succeed.

What is success to you. Whatever it is you are trying to accomplish, how will you know that you succeeded?
I suppose for me it is to be at peace with oneself (no inner conflicts) and so as then to likely be at peace with all others, where this is possible. But the latter is often not possible when one might see harm emanating from their beliefs and/or actions. Success in other areas is simply achieving a goal and hoping that such enables some enjoyment and learning along the way. Have done plenty of this latter and mostly I have no inner conflicts to trouble me - so a lot better than in the past. Material success, or even in relationships, might be less important to me, although this last is often something imposed on one rather than desired.

I guess I have been more interested in what makes us human, how we might vary so much, and why we are often so different than chasing after some possible spiritual nature.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
I am sorry that you feel this way @Clara Tea. It is a dilemma, because one has little in way of harmony to offer another, if one finds no harmony within self.

If we accept limitations, we don't even try.

I do not say that it is not so for you, but it’s not necessarily so for others. Many would say that you speak from Ego above and to many, Ego is a successful obstacle to living successfully in the terms that were mentioned in my comments to OP.

Knowing one’s limits in life is quite key to the concept of wisdom in general.

Humbly
Hermit

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Success.jpg

What is success to you. Whatever it is you are trying to accomplish, how will you know that you succeeded?

That whatever i did was an improvement on rhe previous statem

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The greatest success, IMHO, is to find answers to your questions. Material success pales before that. I have already succeeded in getting answers to all my questions. Only one remains (Creatio ex-nihilo?). In the short time left to me, I do not think, I will get that answer. It would happen many years later or perhaps centuries.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Money = success?

By that standard, Reverend Jim Bakker and Tammy Fay Bakker were successful for misappropriating donations to starving Africans to buy things for their mansion.

Robbing a bank would make money (bank guards might have to be shot). Success?

It seems that the formula for success is complicated and probably difficult.

Success is the achievement of a goal.

That is what i addressed. Im not simple minded.