• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is nothing?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Then know that it was not the concept of nothing that started this discussion betwixt us, and not the intent of any of my points.

It's impossible to discuss "nothing" other than by using the concept, unless one wants to engage in discussion about the word itself.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's impossible to discuss "nothing" other than by using the concept, unless one wants to engage in discussion about the word itself.
Using in what sense? Are you suggesting that discussion about nothing is discussion about the concept of nothing? And yet, we agreed they are not the same thing.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Rarely have I seen so little said about a topic as in this thread. Then again, what exactly can you say about "nothing"?

Scott C.

Just one guy
Is there anyone, Christian, other religion, atheist, or agnostic who believes that there ever was a time when there was nothing? it seems to me that all of us must be baffled by the fact that there has always existed something. It's hard to believe and yet the existence of something is self evident. Why is there something rather than nothing???

freethinker44

Is there anyone, Christian, other religion, atheist, or agnostic who believes that there ever was a time when there was nothing? it seems to me that all of us must be baffled by the fact that there has always existed something. It's hard to believe and yet the existence of something is self evident. Why is there something rather than nothing???

The way I see it, nothing is just a concept, there is actually no such thing as nothing. If nothing doesn't actually exist, then the question "why is there something rather than nothing?" has no context and is meaningless because if there is no alternative to something, there is no question as to why it exists.

MSizer

MSizer
The way I see it, nothing is just a concept, there is actually no such thing as nothing. If nothing doesn't actually exist, then the question "why is there something rather than nothing?" has no context and is meaningless because if there is no alternative to something, there is no question as to why it exists.

Interesting point, I'd always assumed that "nothing" could be confined to a specific space and time, but perhaps since "something" does indeed exist, "nothing" does not exist. Or is it possible that "nothing" existed prior to the existence of "something", but since "something" now does exist, "nothing" disappeared?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The way I see it, nothing is just a concept, there is actually no such thing as nothing.
Do you believe that what you said here is true? I believe you do --I think you posited it because it reflects reality as you know it. It communicates something real about the world: "no such thing" actually applicable to "nothing".

"No such thing" is nothing. That actual no such thing, whether you think of it as concept or not, expresses something real.

MSizer

MSizer
"No such thing" is nothing. That actual no such thing, whether you think of it as concept or not, expresses something real.

No Willemena, I disagree. I think you're etimylogically betwixt. I think only the "thing" part of his phrase points to something, while it changes the meaning to a lack of anything when you precede it with "no such".

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No Willemena, I disagree. I think you're etimylogically betwixt. I think only the "thing" part of his phrase points to something, while it changes the meaning to a lack of anything when you precede it with "no such".
Changes the meaning to what?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Christ - I'm not going to spend another day going in circles with you. You believe nothing is something - have fun.
*Rushes to Willamena's aid*
(Not that the brilliant lady needs any help but... whatever)

Actually Patty IS correct. Any attempt to objectify "nothing", by default, makes it a thing --- therefore it is no longer nothing. It sort of adds an interesting twist to the old phrase, "Making something out of nothing", don't it?

Another twist on this is in the Buddhist concept of nothingness or the void. If such a non-thing exists, how would you know? If you could enter that void, stay awhile and then return then it wasn't void now, was it, as you were there to experience it. If that wasn't the case you would have no memory, so obviously it is meant metaphorically and not literally.

If you think I am on crack, Patty, just let me know, ;)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
*Rushes to Willamena's aid*
(Not that the brilliant lady needs any help but... whatever)

Actually Patty IS correct. Any attempt to objectify "nothing", by default, makes it a thing --- therefore it is no longer nothing. It sort of adds an interesting twist to the old phrase, "Making something out of nothing", don't it?

Another twist on this is in the Buddhist concept of nothingness or the void. If such a non-thing exists, how would you know? If you could enter that void, stay awhile and then return then it wasn't void now, was it, as you were there to experience it. If that wasn't the case you would have no memory, so obviously it is meant metaphorically and not literally.

If you think I am on crack, Patty, just let me know, ;)
Spot on, Paul. As an objective thing, nothing (like truth) is a piece of the pictures that compose, for each of us, the world.