• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is nothing?

MSizer

MSizer
Anything that can be posited is ultimately something, and nothing is no exception.

yes it is an exception. Nothingness it a lack of somethingness, therefore it does not represent something at all.

Just because we've never witnessed it, it doesn't mean it's not possible. It's kinda like that old story about the frog telling the tadpole that dryness is the lack of wetness. It doesn't help him, but dry is still a concept to describe the lack of wetness. Dryness is therefore nothingness with respect to wet, but that doesn't make it "something".

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Right, when nothing is posited, it is something - a concept. It doesn't make what the concept represents something though.
But I wasn't positing a concept. I was conveying a message about something real.

The 'concept of nothing' is not the subject of the sentence "Nothing is real".

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
But I wasn't positing a concept. I was conveying a message about something real.

The 'concept of nothing' is not the subject of the sentence "Nothing is real".

But a sentence like this is simply a matter of semantics. The 'concept of nothing' isn't the subject of the sentence, because the sentence isn't actually addressing the concept of nothing. Rather, it is really making a statement about everything.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
you already admitted that you know the difference, pls relate it with darkness and true darkness.

No, my point is that I don't understand the difference. What is the actual difference between "nothing," by its broadest definition, and "true nothingness," in your opinion?

nameless

The Creator
No, my point is that I don't understand the difference. What is the actual difference between "nothing," by its broadest definition, and "true nothingness," in your opinion?

if you dont know the difference, then how did you related the same difference to darkness and true true darkness?

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The 'concept of nothing' isn't the subject of the sentence, because the sentence isn't actually addressing the concept of nothing. Rather, it is really making a statement about everything.
Just so; or properly, in that one context, the lack of anything.

Nothing loses again.

Last edited: