• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is nothing?

freethinker44

I'm not sure what you mean by "extension."

I mean, we normally would consider nothing and something as two different concepts, polar opposites of each other. If there is physically no object or energy occupying a region of space (I realize according to quantum physics space is a tangible thing, but for the purposes of the argument and ease of explanation let's assume space is a complete void of anything), we say there is nothing there, but there is never really an absence of anything, even a void with no definable characteristics is still something.

So the concepts of something and nothing aren't really separate at all, and nothing falls under the concept of something.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I mean, we normally would consider nothing and something as two different concepts, polar opposites of each other. If there is physically no object or energy occupying a region of space (I realize according to quantum physics space is a tangible thing, but for the purposes of the argument and ease of explanation let's assume space is a complete void of anything), we say there is nothing there, but there is never really an absence of anything, even a void with no definable characteristics is still something.

So the concepts of something and nothing aren't really separate at all, and nothing falls under the concept of something.

It depends on how you are using the word nothing. If I say "there's nothing in my bank account," what something would that nothing be? If I say "nothing can accelerate to the speed of light," what something would that nothing be?

nameless

The Creator
nothingness is not just absence of something. True nothingness is the absence of both something and nothing, it is unthinkable nothingness.

Last edited:

nameless

The Creator
That's like saying true darkness is the absence of both light and dark.

How about saying true light is the absence of both light and dark?

what i mean by true nothingness is unthinkable nothingness. But your darkness is same as true darkness.

that is the reason why Buddha remained silent, even the usage of nothingness, sometimes will be misinterpreted. The true nothingness which im talking about is the nothingness buddha told from his silence, the unknown nothingness.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
How about saying true light is the absence of both light and dark?

Because that wouldn't make any sense either.

what i mean by true nothingness is unthinkable nothingness. But your darkness is same as true darkness.

that is the reason why Buddha remained silent, even the usage of nothingness, sometimes will be misinterpreted. The true nothingness which im talking about is the nothingness buddha told from his silence, the unknown nothingness.

Yeah, I think poetic language and koans are neat too.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The concept is positable. The concept, and what it represents, are not the same thing.
When I posit that my feet hurt, I'm not talking about the concept. When I posit that nothing is real, I am similiarly not talking about the concept (though I am being deliberately and necessarily ambiguous).