• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Love?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
To me true love is the joy you get caring about others and yourself as deserved. Love is innocence, or to be without hatred or malice; that's what deserves.

Some people have a type of love that loves without caring one bit.

Love is joy, happiness, and peace through caring.

Now loving your enemies is like hugging someone who wants to destroy you. The only love you can give an enemy is the love that they care nothing for in the first place. Now maybe enemies happen because of misunderstandings, but there are people who have no cares at all and don't want any either.

To me there is so many different kinds of loves out there. Many superficial kinds of love because they lack the substance of caring.

Then there are loves where people care only about a narrow, small range of things and everybody else that isn't significant to their own lives they couldn't care less. Highly selective self only cares.

The greatest of all loves is selfless love for others.

The hardest of all loves is to love your enemies, or love those who are guilty of hatred and malice.

Any way you slice it, it's not an easy topic.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Love is sacrificing what one wants for self for someone or something else.
A parent who loves his or her children sacrifices his or her own desires for his or her children.
A spouse who loves his or her partner sacrifices what he or she desires for the spouse.
A believer who loves God and his or her religion sacrifices his or her time for the sake of that religion.

Why is God Love?
If God is Love, what did God sacrifice?
I know that Christians will say that God sacrificed His only Son, but God is not a biological entity who has biological offspring.

In reality it was Jesus who sacrificed Himself for humanity out of Love for humanity.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Love is sacrificing what one wants for self for someone or something else.
A parent who loves his or her children sacrifices his or her own desires for his or her children.
A spouse who loves his or her partner sacrifices what he or she desires for the spouse.
A believer who loves God and his or her religion sacrifices his or her time for the sake of that religion.

Why is God Love?
If God is Love, what did God sacrifice?
I know that Christians will say that God sacrificed His only Son, but God is not a biological entity who has biological offspring.

In reality it was Jesus who sacrificed Himself for humanity out of Love for humanity.

I think everyone has to make sacrifices in order to live worthy goals and things in this world. What we love gives us priorities and focus. There are times I had to be selfless and care about people who could not do everything for themselves. I have no regrets about doing that. Those same people had done a lot for me and it meant everything to me to see that they were going to be okay.

I don't think love is always a sacrifice. I think everything a person does revolves around sacrifice. Perhaps in a better world love is just simply caring.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
..............Why is God Love? If God is Love, what did God sacrifice?
Pre-human heavenly Jesus did Not send himself to Earth, rather his God and Father sent His Son to Earth for us.
God did Not have to do that. Jesus chose to come and yes Jesus truly sacrificed his life for us.
Jesus' perfect or sinless life paid the ransom price to get us out of death's prison.
Satan threw everything but the proverbial 'kitchen sink' at Jesus to stop Jesus dying for us.
If Jesus would have ended up dying un-faithful there would be No resurrection for us.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't think love is always a sacrifice. I think everything a person does revolves around sacrifice. Perhaps in a better world love is just simply caring.
I do not believe that love 'always' involves a sacrifice, what I meant to say is that if one really loves, one would be willing to sacrifice for what or who he loves. Put another way, if one is unwilling to make any sacrifices how can one say they really love who or what they claim to love?

I do not believe love is selfish.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Pre-human heavenly Jesus did Not send himself to Earth, rather his God and Father sent His Son to Earth for us.
God did Not have to do that.
Yes, God sent Jesus, and God did not have to do that, but God did not sacrifice anything thereby, and that was my point.
It was Jesus who gave His life for our sins, God did not give His life. God is still who he always was.

On the other hand, if Jesus rose from the dead, that would not have been a sacrifice.
The Christian belief in the bodily resurrection thus negates everything that Jesus died for.
Oh, the irony of Christian beliefs. One belief cancels out the other and they cannot even see that.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Pertinent to the discussion, I personally dislike the word "love". It's come to cover a myriad of emotions, even though we only think of the "pure" emotions. Love is:

Eros: sexual passion.
Philia: deep friendship.
Storge: love between family.
Ludus: playful love. (e.g a "crush" or the love shared between casual lovers)
Agape: love for everyone, selfless love, empathy. (in Latin this is caritas, the root of 'charity')
Pragma: longstanding love.
Philautia: love of the self.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes, God sent Jesus, and God did not have to do that, but God did not sacrifice anything thereby, and that was my point.
It was Jesus who gave His life for our sins, God did not give His life. God is still who he always was.
On the other hand, if Jesus rose from the dead, that would not have been a sacrifice.
The Christian belief in the bodily resurrection thus negates everything that Jesus died for.
Oh, the irony of Christian beliefs. One belief cancels out the other and they cannot even see that.

To me the Christian belief is -> God resurrected Jesus back into his pre-human heavenly Spirit body.
The resurrected Jesus was Not seen by everyone - Acts of the Apostles 10:40-41A
If Jesus had a physical resurrection he would have Not been mistaken - John 20:15 - for example.
At Luke 24:16-18 at first Jesus' followers thought the resurrected Jesus was a stranger.
In order to be visible is why resurrected Jesus used different materialized bodies to appear to his followers.

If you were a king and you sent your son the prince to a foreign country to die for strangers, how would you feel
God knew why He was sending Jesus from his comfy heavenly home to Earth to die a martyr's death for us.
As an earthly king would Not send his princely son to die for people in a different country, God is different.
Remember what the total complete price tag for sin is _________ answer at Romans 6:23,7 which is: death.
Not death plus any post-mortem price to pay. No double jeopardy to pay for sin.
Dying a faithful martyr's death for us is why God resurrected dead Jesus back to life.- Acts of the Apostles 3:15
Because we can't resurrect oneself or another we needed someone who could resurrect us.
Jesus' sacrificial death balanced the Scales of Justice for us thus undoing what Adam brought upon humanity.
Resurrected faithful Jesus was given the resurrection power - Revelation 1:18

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I do not believe that love 'always' involves a sacrifice, what I meant to say is that if one really loves, one would be willing to sacrifice for what or who he loves. Put another way, if one is unwilling to make any sacrifices how can one say they really love who or what they claim to love? I do not believe love is selfish.

Yes, in Jesus' New commandment love is Not selfish but rather self-sacrificing love at John 13:34-35
More than the Golden Rule of love neighbor as self, but Now love neighbor MORE than self.