• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Love?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Well, what is it? Chemicals? Emotion? Expression? Art.

Feel free to be as creative with your answers as you'd like, or not.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Well, what is it? Chemicals? Emotion? Expression? Art.
Feel free to be as creative with your answers as you'd like, or not................]

The Greeks I find had four (4) words for love:
Eros (sexual love) Storge (love of family) Phila' (brotherly love) and agape' (principled love / love based on principles)
Thus, the definition of Christ-like Love is the principled love defined at 1 Corinthians 13:4-6

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Love is what drives morality, love is what you put your faith in in order to move mountains. Love is the meaning of life. Love is God.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I would say love is an altruistic action (or set of actions). Love can be shown by actions, but words are empty imo.
The ^above^ post reminded me about the neighborly good Samarian whose 'set of actions' was: See a need/do a deed.
In other words, on a one-on-one basis he broadened out or widened out in showing practical love in action.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Love is a strong emotion giving a feeling of deep affection.

Love is when the one you loves happiness is more important than your own.

Love is complete honesty and trust.

Love is never having to say you are sorry

Soandso

Seems like a particularly powerful evolutionary adaptation to me. The philosophical stuff is fun to ponder as well

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
All the other posters have expressed things I agree with. I'll add that at the level of the physical, magnetic attraction is a low form of love. At the animal level, sexual attraction and care for offspring is love. At the human level, love is all of that and more - love in its pure form is where the happiness of another becomes your happiness. At the Divine level, the culmination of love is the union of the individual with Divinity.